jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

What is mturk in referrals?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image90
    TessSchlesingerposted 18 months ago

When I have looked at referrals these days, I see something called mturk. It appears to be a website that offers work to writers. I truly doubt that writers from a freelance writing site are suddenly looking at my hubs.

In days gone by, this would be seen as the site actively spamming one in order for one to click on their site...

What do you think? Should hubpages be removing this?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 18 months ago in reply to this

MTURK (Amazon Mechanical Turk) is run by Amazon and essentially pays people (crowdsourcing) to do tasks such as check hubs for QAP. As far as I know, all hubs go through MTURK now.

TessSchlesingerposted 18 months ago in reply to this

So hubpages is paying mturk for them to read through my hubs and correct them?

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 18 months ago in reply to this

MTURK has been part of QAP for a year or two. MTURK has nothing to do with corrections - it's just whether the hubs become featured or not.

The Edit Bot is something different - it's not a real human (it's an automated scanner) and is a recent introduction to the site.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 18 months ago in reply to this

As WryLilt has pointed out the MTurk is part of the QAP process through crowd sourcing. It is similar to the Hub Hopper with its guidelines for rating Hubs. However they are sourced through Amazon. Readers must qualify with a testing process for accuracy. I believe if that rater falls below a quality standard they are not allowed to rate.

That testing process is governed by a board of Hub Staff members for a quality standard for Hub Assessments especially related to accuracy of the raters.The MTurk is a paid by HIT at a rate per. A Hit is an article rated. Any one can seek being a rater and rate Hubs. Some Hubbers have or do that for extra income.

More can be discovered at this link about becoming a Rater and how the MTurk works.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#mturk-payment

For more regarding how a Hub is rated take a peek at the Hub Hopper found at a link at the Statistics Page or follow this link to the guideline tables.

http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Thank you. smile

1. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Your Welcome. I am not sure about referrals, but if you go to Traffic Sources at the Statistic Page, sort by domain, and scroll to mturk.com you can see the view count. You can see by 24Hrs, 7-Days, 30-Days, and Ever. Then you can determine if a Hub went through the MTurk. So, one can presume it counts as a view too.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
            Patty Inglish, MSposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I often wonder why one of my already-featured, higher-traffic Hubs later went through MTurk 11 (eleven) times one week.

That's a very interesting question. I asked because I have 10 mturk views on one article on one day. Weird.

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 18 months ago

A Google search on MTurk and Hubpages brings up some very interesting information from the MTurker viewpoint.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I found some of that information and feel that even thinking about using MTurk to hurt others is very poor business practice and immoral. But, so far, MTurkers have been fair to me.

working