jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Encouragement for a new hubber please

1. Farawaytree profile image87
    Farawaytreeposted 11 months ago

Theoretically, if it takes an average hubber several months just to reach threshold payout, does that mean it will be several more months before you hit payout again?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Hi Farawaytree,

It usually takes longest to reach your first payout. Over time once your Hubs get established, payouts should become closer together. Also, the more Hubs you write, the more likely you are to reach payout more quickly. HubPages is definitely a long-term writing investment, but many find it worthwhile over time. Hang in there!

Farawaytreeposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Thank you!

2. galleryofgrace profile image82
      galleryofgraceposted 11 months ago in reply to this

It can take a year or more to  reach any payout- some never reach it!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 months ago in reply to this

Each person's situation is different.  Much depends on your ability to write good online content on subjects for which people search.

Another point that many people miss, is that those who do best here are the ones who have taken the time to learn SEO (search engine optimization) techniques because these help the Google bots to find and rank your work.

I know one person like this who hit 800,000 views in his first 6 months, but he is an expert at SEO who does this for a living.

It's very tricky to get all of the pieces of the puzzle right because while you are learning, things are changing and competition is fierce.

My advice to you is to find a subject you know a lot about and have personal experience with, then check Google Search to see how many others are writing about it.  Those with 2 million or less views are the best to go for.

As far as payouts are concerned, the only people who get them are those who do the things I just mentioned and really work hard at their craft.

Once they start, they will come more regularly.  It took me more than two years to get ongoing monthly payments, and even with that, once in awhile there is a month or two where I don't quite earn enough.

Since I don't do this for a living, it's OK.  I never came here to get rich.  If you think you will get rich here, then you most likely will be disappointed.

Once in awhile someone hits it right out of the park, but those times happen rarely.

OK...that's my two cents.  Good luck!

Yes, I am writing because I love it and have a need to, but certainly I am curious about the money aspect - who isn't? Thanks again!

2. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 11 months ago

Good advice from TIMETRAVELER2, Farawaytree. I did not get payout until 9 months in, then mostly every other month. After 3 years, I think I've received payout twice in a row only 2 times. Due to a combination of my slowed activity and changes with Google and HP, I now get payout every 2 to 3 months. So, it is a very individual thing, impacted by several factors.

My encouraging words to you are to enjoy writing on HP and always strive to put out quality work. The earnings will come eventually, most likely in spurts. I would also encourage you to find joy in something else outside of HP that will make you a substantial living. I admire those who do this for a living. I use my articles to supplement my business. The earnings make good gas money and pocket change. smile