New Quality Features: Snip Editing and Account Level Quality Alerts

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
    Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years ago

Hi everyone! Please drop by today's blog post to learn about two new features that are being released: snip editing and account level quality alerts!

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
      Ramkitten2000posted 8 years agoin reply to this

So, are you saying that if a moderator "snips" what he or she considers an unrelated product, the text that's in that module will disappear (be snipped) as well, even if that text is important/vital to the hub?

First you say that moderators will be unable to change hubs. Then you say they'll do it just once. Or am I misunderstanding that part since I haven't had any coffee yet? Are these "snips" being highlighted and suggested and we make the changes ourselves, or are they being made by moderators?

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
        Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

These are good questions.

The snips are being made by moderators. When a snip is saved by a moderator, the changes are reflected on the live Hub. Because most snipping happens at the capsule level (i.e., the entire capsule is removed), you are correct when you say that the text inside of an Amazon Capsule will also be removed if the Amazon Capsule is snipped.

If that text is vital/important to the Hub and doesn't mention the product, it should be in a separate text capsule rather than inside of an Amazon Capsule. If that text is vital/important to the Hub and does mention the product (e.g., first-hand experience with the product, its relatedness, why it was chosen over other products, etc), then it won't get snipped.

2. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I made a big mistake by replying to comments but neglecting to click the approved button and hope these will gradually come off my list on the statistics page. I had quite a few slipups. Sorry.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

Thanks for the update. I am most interested in seeing the upcoming ones related to Amazon.

3. ILoveLegosToo profile image83
    ILoveLegosTooposted 8 years ago

I know my account has problems.  That said, I am very interested in the upcoming engagement feature you have on the horizon. 

I would like to see the 300 word Amazon limit at an account level instead of per hub.  I created a forum post here regarding this concept,  http://hubpages.com/community/forum/134 … ount-level

The reason, I like the account limit instead of the hub limit, is my current hub that is liked by Google and bringing in the most traffic in my account at this point of the year.  Yet, this hub violates the current Amazon limit.  I would love to see the current click rate for that particular hub and of all the hubs in that series, as I believe they are driving the recent uptick in Amazon sales on my account.

I would like to see some flexibility that allows some hubs to have more products on it where others have less as the data proves there is room for both.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

https://i.imgflip.com/vrp0t.jpg

1. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ROFL !

2. LiliMarlene profile image84
      LiliMarleneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No idea either!

5. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Sounds good to me.

Just to comment on the Amazon ad stuff and upcoming click rate data...

I would remove all Amazon ads from pages that hardly ever get Amazon clicks on the basis that they are just clutter and damage the reading experience.

I would also make click data available to MTurkers who are QAP'ing older pages -- sometimes those ads are actually useful to readers and deserve to be kept.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, exactly what I did years ago.

So far, no green spot invasion. If there is an invasion, I'm fine with it. I welcome anything that makes my hubs better.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

To my shame I have 2 quality alerts. Both are deserved.

I have a few pages that I am too embarrassed to visit unless someone forces me to.

Did the quality alerts tell you exactly which hubs perpetrated the no-no's?.

Yep.

But I think someone else wrote those pages and slipped them into my account when I wasn't looking. I could never have written such crass stuff.

Were they getting traffic? If they were and HP doesn't want them, I'll take them off your hands and post them elsewhere.  lol

I deleted one. Removed all but one of the Amazon ads from the other. They were getting very low levels of traffic. I kept meaning to update them but just got depressed when I thought of them.

They do not deserve a second life, lol.

I know what you mean. I had over 90 hubs at one time. Down to 64 now.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image71
                    Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had 240 lens when transferred from Squidoo, sixteen months ago.
                    I now have 105 and more of those could go soon.
                    Happy Christmas everyone.

Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I generally earn 2 to 3 times as much from Amazon as I do from Adsense--  from only a couple of  hubs.
      I sometimes use Amazon capsules as a formatting element, with the Ad pictures showing something related to the article, even if they don't bring sales.

I think you would be better off getting rid of the ad and using the picture. The kind of pics you find on Amazon are PR pics and, generally speaking, companies that provide them will be delighted if you use them.

I wouldn't take pics that users upload to Amazon, though.

Bear in mind that affiliate ads can harm your page in a lot of different ways. This is Paul Edmondson's take on the problems: http://hubpages.com/community/Challenge … oduct-Hubs

1. justholidays profile image66
          justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is against Amazon's rules to use of their pictures, whether supplied by manufacturers or uploaded by customers. At least without a link to the product in one way or another.

You might like to provide a link to support that assertion.

Having said that, most images are not provided by Amazon but by manufacturers or distributors for the use of shoppers, reviewers, retailers etc.

So I am not sure Amazon's rules would be relevant.

It's in Amazon's terms of use, so I don't have to provide a link, if you're affiliated with them you should have read their TOS before applying your signature. As affiliates, we're also supposed to re-read their TOS from time to time.

The other way I know it isn't a link: it's a chat I had two weeks ago with an Amazon employee. You can check for yourself using their chat system.

I wanted to ask if I could create Pinterest posters using their images. Not even a single word can you add on their images, not to mention that Pinterest posters created with several of their images is forbidden and the use of their pics without a live link to them is also a big no-no.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's what I said, you can use their pics PROVIDED you include a live link to the product.  Your first post implied you couldn't use them, period.

I didn't meant that you said otherwise, but from what I've heard these past weeks regarding this matter, lots of people think that just writing "pic. courtesy of Amazon.com - or - Amazon dot com" - is enough. Those kinds of "links" are not live... My post was not intended to upset you in any way, I just wanted to make things clear.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

As an affiliate you are allowed to use the pictures, provided you include a link to the product.

Virtually every company proclaims copyright on its publicity photos in case the images are used in a misleading way that harm users. At the same time it would be PR suicide to start using DMCAs against people using the images legitimately (i.e, as a way of showing what a product looks like).

If Apple, for example, handed out DMCA's to bloggers simply talking about its products and using its PR images then the only result would be that a few hundred thousand legit bloggers would stop talking about Apple and a few million who did not care about legality would continue.

It is best to live in the real world with this stuff,

My last comment on this.

2. justholidays profile image66

Indeed but NOT without a link to the product. Yet using images without a link was what was suggested and that is why I posted this reminder.

This being said, what a not live link to them would bring to the affiliate? Nothing... not even worth doing it.

You are wonderfully focused and should go far.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

+1

6. Helga Silva profile image75
    Helga Silvaposted 8 years ago

I think this will help a lot to improve the quality of our hubs. I am new on Hubpages and I can appreciate any help I can get.

7. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

This sounds good to me.

8. iijuan12 profile image78
    iijuan12posted 8 years ago

I am confused about the "snipping" feature. Is an editor actually going to remove/change items from my page without my permission -- or are they going to simply highlight what they would recommend that I change?

1. LisaMarieGabriel profile image85
      LisaMarieGabrielposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Me too. I had assumed we had to remove the excess or unrelated products. This could be a way to force revisions on hubs that have evaded scrutiny for years as well as a motivation for many newer pages to be updated. I just hope we have adequate time to make changes and Christmas is not necessarily going to be the best time to be sitting at a computer editing hubs.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They are actually going to make changes (fix spelling/grammar errors in titles and remove capsules or links) to your Hub so that it complies with our standards for being Featured. Prior to snip editing, moderators would simply defeature any Hub that didn't meet our standards, even those that were very close. Now, the Hubs that are just below the border can be fixed when mods see them without needing to be defeatured.

As with any type of editing on HubPages, you have the ability to reverse the changes.

edit: a couple of words in the first sentence

9. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Reciprocal Snipping Rights - Now, Please
    Please allow authors to snip irrelevant links added by HP to their pages in the 'Popular' and 'Related' Lists added by the system. Or get the Moderators to clean them up with their shears. Many of these links are so unrelated that they are just plain stupid. Users would clearly see these as spam. They damage the reputation of the site. They are damaging rankings. Google hates them now, and the new Penguin looms. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
    See http://hubpages.com/community/forum/134 … s-to-pages

HP moderators snipped several related sauce recipes from my hub on Lemon Sauce Recipes but overlooked these obviously unrelated links added by HP

=> How to Make Pork Stock; and Why You Should!
    => Pizza Sauce Recipe From Scratch
    => Lemon Benefits on Skin | Lemon Face Masks at Home
    => Ground Beef Recipes, Delicious Cheeseburger Pie

Thanks,

Are you sure the sidebar links are that bad? Or are you just upset that HP will not let you interlink your pages?

Why not just ask them for a clear explanation of that policy?

There might be options for you.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The proof is in the Xmas Pudding Sauce

You have a thousand pages and no one has ever posted more graphs in the entire history of the internet.

Send an email about your links and demand an explanation!

Been there, done that. HP won't change their policy. I don't agree with their reasoning. I suspect an ulterior motive, which is obvious. But my suggestion re: the goose and the gander, and even the turkey, is relevant - surely.

2. janderson99 profile image54

Interestingly, there has been no response from HP staff to 'What is good for the goose is good for the gander' in relation to snipping irrelevant links in side bar. I wonder why? Ho hum! The link system needs to be improved urgently.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, your shunning has been noticed. wink

10. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

It reminds my of an Aussie Song, modified a tad.

"Snip go the shears boys, Snip, Snip, Snip,
    Wide is his blow and his hands move quick,
    The ringer looks around and is beaten by a blow,
    And curses the old snagger with the bare-bellied yoe"

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12790544_f1024.jpg

11. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

OK, so I've survived my first "Your Hub has been snipped!" experience. One of my older Hubs had gone "unfeatured" earlier today due to lack of traffic, so I made a few changes to it and threw it back out there. I guess the "snippers" got hold of it while it was in the queue waiting to be re-featured.

Anyway, when I got that message at first I was like "Oh @#$%, what are they gonna do to me?"... but all they did was cut a bunch of the excess Amazon capsules. Everything else stayed exactly the same.  To be honest I've never had much luck making sales via Amazon anyway so they could've canned all of 'em and I probably wouldn't have even missed them. (haha)

Sometimes people need to be forced to the right thing. I certainly include myself in that.

12. ibglobalacademy profile image58
    ibglobalacademyposted 8 years ago

Thanks For All !!!
    It will be very helpfull to others.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for spam! It will not be helpfull to anyone.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Interesting...

When the first editbot came along "way back when", the forums were almost burned to the ground.

Mr. Snip comes along this week and hardly a quiver.

I think we've finally been trained. big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Or maybe there aren't many people left to object.

2. janderson99 profile image54

I suspect that people are punch drunk - hit so many times, in so many ways - unfeatured for this and that, Pro-ed, snipped, clipped, spelled, de-product-ed, de-sub-ed, de-linked, de-traffic-ed and not listened to. Sadly writers have become chimps with manual type writers, feeding in streams of words to the editors. The sense of individuality and being in control of your destiny went down with the subs, and the obligatory edits. What's next!

Final whinge (promise => last post):
        Hubpro basic outcome

=> Edited grammar
        => Corrected spelling
        => Removed links that were not beneficial to the reader
        => Removed products that were not beneficial to the reader
        => Reduced the number of products to improve reader experience ( to zero)
        => Reduced overuse of keywords so your Hub isn't penalized by search engines and HubPages for keyword stuffing
        => Please note: adding back products to this Hub will likely result in the Hub being defeatured for quality.
        => Please note: adding back links to this Hub will likely result in the Hub being defeatured for quality.
        => Please note: adding back keyword stuffing to this Hub will likely result in the Hub being defeatured for quality.

Result
        SERP position falls
        http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12791832_f248.jpg

But it will probably recover, if I am patient.
        Cheers and Goodbye to the forums.

No. I am serious. Don't make me find my photo of my Desiderata plaque. You are one of the good guys. smile

@ Dr. John Anderson... Your forfeit is not acceptable.

2. Will Apse profile image87

You shouldn't give up. You have always made a good contribution to these forums even if you do complain rather a lot, lol.

edit: on second thoughts, taking a break from the forums now and again is no bad thing. Come back refreshed.

Deleted

3. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed... I bend with the wind, so to speak, but I can see moving day looming.

3. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 8 years ago

People complain about the garbage on this site then complain when HP makes moves to clear it out.

These quality assessment processes should consign a lot of poor quality pages to oblivion.

They will also inconvenience many high quality writers to a pretty small extent, as some of their pages fall foul of the assessments.

Isn't it worth a little inconvenience to give the site its best chance of survival/prosperity?

Deleted

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,0000,000,000

Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree, for the most part. 
          However, it is a little tough on some who have come in as novices, and were able to improve by learning from their mistakes.

It might be tough on all of us if HP go too far, or just plain get it wrong. I reckon they should get the benefit of the doubt for now.

2. markpattersone profile image61
        markpattersoneposted 8 years ago

Thanks for the update
        This sounds good to me .

3. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Seems to me they've just given the HubPro editors a different name and remarketed them as "Mr Snip Editor"

I shall continue with my policy of "you touch my content and I will remove it from HubPages". i.e. HubPages will NOT benefit from unfeaturing my hubs

Well apart from those that are already unfeatured and on the "to do" list in terms of moving off HubPages - but still generate traffic and sales based on all the links to them that still exist on my blogs etc!

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I was a little taken aback to find one of my pictures had changed.

A fairly ordinary stickman - but one I was quite proud of - had been edited so his hat was set at a more jaunty angle.

Fortunately that gives a new fresh feeling to the artwork and may result in an increase for the keywords "Jaunty angle hat man".

I reckon you must have nailed 'jam hat man' already. Or 'asymmetrical sunburn'. Or both.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)