jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Mountain Winter Skills Courses

1. beanzl profile image62
    beanzlposted 7 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Mountain Winter Skills Courses (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Say Yes To Life profile image87
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 months ago in reply to this

This article is definitely needed! Here are a few improvements I think you could make.

Under NAVIGATION:  you walk slower in snow.  How can you know if you're walked 100 meters?  It is best to count the number of steps instead, determining how long it takes you to walk them.  One kilometer = approximately 1200 steps.
      "Break down your distance into smaller junks" - should say "chunks" instead.

AVALANCHES - you should include pictures of what the various risky slopes look like.  Also:  wear a transceiver so you can signal your location if you're caught in an avalanche.  If you're caught, swim, so you can stay close to the surface.  When the avalanche slows, form an air pocket; when it stops, spit so you know which way is up, so you can dig your way out.

It is best to rope your team together - but MAKE SURE you're well tethered to the mountain!

These are my two cents.  Best wishes getting your hub featured!

beanzlposted 7 months ago in reply to this

thanks for the advise. I have fixed the navigation bits and added how to pace.

With avalanches it's a bit of a different story. In the past I have advised people exactly what you say about the swimming and making a pocket for air, etc. However after I have been in a small avalanche and after talking to skiers who get caught in them more likely I have realised that when you're in an avalanche you are just a rag doll and at the mercy of the elements. You can just about relax and enjoy the ride (if you can).
        Hillwalkers don't tend to use transmitters and there are issues with mobile phones interfering with the signal. Transmitters is more of an off piste skiing thing because they are more likely to get caught out.
        Also with the rope the danger is there that when you rope up you get the whole group caught in an avalanche and not just one person. One go all go!
        Of course these are opinions but mine are shared with other professional outdoor instructors in Scotland. And I didn't want to confuse people with contradicting information. Also I think that avoidance is key!

Anyway I don't want to rebuff your suggestions But if you think to put down advise on what to do as a casualty of avalanches I will do that!

2. erorantes profile image33
    erorantesposted 7 months ago

Hello mister beanzl. I like your hub. It is well done job. The pictures are beautiful. The hub will welcome a lot of readers and students for the sport. Snow can be fun if people wear the correct clothes and the use of proper tools to go around the ice. Thank you for writing your hub.

Thanks for your comment, really appreciated.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image93
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 months ago

First and foremost, upload a picture for your profile. Any picture of any dang thing will do. If you do not, no one will take you seriously, as your profile will look the same as every other spam bot that ever lands on Hubpages. It doesn't appear legit when someone fails to upload a profile picture. It doesn't have to be a picture of you.

Hi Wesman,
      thanks for the advise. Done and dusted!