jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Edit Bot? Go Figure!

1. Arachnea profile image83
    Arachneaposted 7 months ago

I've been away longer than thought. Edit bot, huh? Well, I like it. It spots those errors I miss after reading, correcting, rereading, and correcting multiple times thereafter. I wish there were a way to edit the few, very few, errors it catches in the comments that I've made.

What do you all - yup Texas is rubbing off on me - think of it?

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 7 months ago

The forums went into an absolute frenzy when those critters first showed up. lol

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 7 months ago in reply to this

What happened to those little critters?  Did they go to their own little Niche?  lol

3. Arachnea profile image83
    Arachneaposted 7 months ago

@paradigmsearch, I can imagine the forum would have done a double take. Kinda glad I missed it. My errors aren't particularly aweful. I also suspect that the overall quality of the submitted articles has improved tremendously. @Phyllis Doyle, alive and well as two more popped up in one of mine as I was editing.

I'm glad to see that the red skull went away.

4. Lionrhod profile image94
    Lionrhodposted 7 months ago

Oh man! I don't know what an Edit Bot is, but I'm fairly sure it and I wouldn't like each other. I have a very genre specific vocabulary, and d don't even TRY to tell me how to spell "magick."

Far as grammar goes, that's a very specific choice based on genre, character voice, location and a whole bucketload of other very personal decisions that make my voice as a writer different from someone else's.

So color me highly suspicious at something named "Edit Bot" because  a BOT can't handle the delicate job of helping a writer perfect their voice.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 months ago in reply to this

Don't know that I'd worry too much: I use a specific vocabulary, voice and grammar when writing for a specific blue collar worker in a specific blue collar trade.  And what the bots have corrected is a few misspellings by me and a lot of it by commenters.  Nothing I objected to seeing fixed, particularly all the comments that I can't touch.

1. Will Apse profile image90
        Will Apseposted 7 months ago in reply to this

My Dad was a blue collar worker and spoke perfect, if occasionally, colourful, English. The Queen would have hesitated to correct him. None of that editbot nonsense allowed...

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 7 months ago in reply to this

Some do, some don't, but good english is fairly rare on a construction job site.  But I think it's important to make the reader understand that I know what I speak of; that I'm one of them.  Plus I use the jargon as well, sometimes, but that has slipped through the bots very well.

5. SmartAndFun profile image91
    SmartAndFunposted 7 months ago

I am vaguely aware of editbot but I wasn't around when it debuted. I missed the staff's introduction of it and the ensuing hubbub.

My question is this: do we need to DO anything to enact the edits and make them permanent, or were the corrections already automatically made?

While I'm at it with the questions, does anyone know what a HubPro symbol (green circle with pencil) with a little red exclamation mark on it means? I'm thinking it must not be good. Sorry to go off topic.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 months ago

Everybody lost their minds when EditBot was introduced but for most people, the worst thing it did was point out spelling errors in the comments section of everyone's Hubs. It's not our fault the people commenting on our hubs can't spell!

7. erorantes profile image33
    erorantesposted 7 months ago

I like EditBot. It tells me were the mistakes are on my articles. Some hubs I edited and fixed by myself. Others I let Editbot fixed them. My question to anyone who knows about the EditBot program. Does EditBot keep going back and forward showing our mistakes. If he does, our hubs sometimes are perfect and then are not good. The explanation for having bad hubs. It is because the EditBot program still show the mistakes.