jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Allowing All Time Edit Facility For Comments Written

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image41
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 2 years ago

I don't know  if anyone has raised this issue here. Anyhow, I am suggesting a new feature related to COMMENT column.  Now, we cannot edit our comments after five minutes since we wrote it.  We can edit our comments within a time gap of five minutes only and thereafter it  can't be edited.  At times, we are unable to find the errors crept in the sentences we wrote as comments. But when we find that our comments contain certain errors, we are helpless to correct  it later, I mean after that  time gap.  If this time limit is avoided, we can correct our mistakes. After all, an error-free write up is a nice thing for any writer.  So please discuss this suggestion and do the needful.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

We have no plans to change the amount of time in which a comment can be edited. As other have mentioned it could have on impact on conversations in comments.

sunilkunnoth2012posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I just made a suggestion, that's all. Thank you for the response.

2. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 2 years ago

People online should not be able to erase what they said in the past, and sadly that would be what most people would use that ability for.

3. Chris Tyler profile image85
    Chris Tylerposted 2 years ago

You should be doing your editing/spellchecking/fact-checking before you post. That said, it would be too easy to use long-term editing as a "Trojan horse" for spam. For accounts with a large number of posts, this would be especially burdensome since it would require even more time be spent moderating the comments section.

If you're actually paying attention to what you're doing, 5 minutes is more than enough time to catch and fix any mistakes that slip through.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

The other problem is that someone could respond to your comment, and if you change your comment, then the response would no longer make sense.  Some trolls do that - make an inflammatory comment, let the arguments rise up, then delete their comment and claim innocence.  You wouldn't do that of course, but it has been known to happen.

No,that is not my intention dear. What I love to is not change the entire comments but just to correct some minor errors like spelling and grammar. That's all. But I too suspect similar way you thought here that some one may distort the message later.  Thank you for your response.

5. IzzyM profile image90
    IzzyMposted 2 years ago

i would like to be able to edit live links out of comments made by by other people.

But sometimes the links may be helpful as it may give more idea on the topic we discuss. But links left purposefully for promotional purpose should not be encouraged.

1. IzzyM profile image90
        IzzyMposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's why I'd like an edit function.
        Some comments are great, well thought-out, add to the discussion etc, but the links are obviously spam.
        Some links are great but most are not.
        As is it, we have the choice to accept or delete, and sometimes we only want to delete the link, or change it to text, but keep the rest.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93
          Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I really like this idea too - there are some pretty good comments that have to be deleted just because of a link.  But I'm pretty sure that won't happen either, since someone could abuse that feature and edit a comment to a point that it no longer said what the person intended.

working