jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

HubScore is decreasing- Help!!!

1. Janellegems profile image46
    Janellegemsposted 3 days ago

I am sort of disappointed.  I try to be active in the site as much as possible, comment on other people's hubs, help out in the forums, add new hubs once every two weeks, participate in the question and answer and my hubscore is slowly decreasing.  Any advice from expert Hubbers on how to increase my score or why it is decreasing.  The funny thing is my traffic on my hubs are increasing and my earnings are increasing as well.  So what do you think?

1. Michael Kismet profile image91
      Michael Kismetposted 3 days ago in reply to this

44 is shockingly low, that is my input.  smile

I perused your hubs, and they seem to be well written.  I can't help but notice that most of them are religion-based articles.  You'd think "the Lord" would bypass Hubpages "Hubber score algorithm", and hook you up with a few brownie points at least..

All kidding aside, I have no clue or justification why your score would be THAT low!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 days ago in reply to this

When you write about topics that are extremely popular, your competition is huge!  You have to put extremely original and search friendly articles out there in order to get views on those topics.  Religion, for example...can you imagine how many people must be writing on that topic?  Pretty hard for people to find yours when it is buried in the crush!  Same with movies, food, music, etc.  Also, every word you write needs to be yours...forget the quotes, copy and paste items, etc.  If you don't know enough about a particular topic to keep the wordage yours, then you need to either do a ton of research OR find a better topic!  It should be something you know a lot about and/or have extensive experience with to seem genuine to your readers.

Think about this:  would someone want to read YOUR hub about Catholicism, or would they prefer to read work written by a priest, nun or historical researcher who specializes in the Catholic faith.  Some may choose yours, but most will choose the others because they will feel it is more credible.

One more thing:  I would work on my titles.  Some are far too long, and several almost repeat themselves  "best movies for" ,  "best songs for", etc.  Titles can be very tricky but are the first thing that people see when they are searching. If they are bland or boring, people will ignore them.  Also, I notice you use a lot of photos that appear to be non public domain.  Do you have permission to use them?  If not, you need to replace them because using photos of famous people or logs without permission can bring a lawsuit your way because doing so is copyright infringement.

Janellegemsposted 2 days ago in reply to this

Thanks TimeTraveler.  These are some good points, advice and suggestions.  This was very helpful.  I will take a lot at my hubs and the photos.

3. NateB11 profile image91
      NateB11posted 2 days ago in reply to this

If your traffic is good and your earnings are good, you don't really need to worry about Hub Score. I know that wasn't your question, but to me that's the bottom line.

Janellegemsposted 2 days ago in reply to this

I guess you are right, but still wish if my score was at least in the 50's-60's.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 days ago in reply to this

Hubber Score is made up of several components, and one of them is an average of all your HubScores.

Take a look at your HubScores.  If you have a lot of low-scoring Hubs, there's your answer.

2. mactavers profile image87
    mactaversposted 3 days ago

I read two of your Hubs and they are inspirational and well written.  I would suggest that you might try a broader base of topics.  I've been on HubPages for four years and at first I wrote about my favorite topic which is anything and everything about Arizona history.  Then I branched out to include a few general book reviews and travel information about Sedona Arizona that I hoped would be useful to visitors to our area. Since my hobby is collecting vintage items, I  wrote a few Hubs about collecting.  Last year, I wrote three Flash Fiction Hubs which were so much fun and challenged me to write a story using a minimum of words.  They are my lowest scoring Hubs, so I didn't write any others, but I'm glad I tried to expand my writing skills.  So, my best advice to raise your score is to move away from quoting the writing of others, and challenge yourself.

Janellegemsposted 3 days ago in reply to this

That's some very wise advice. My hubs consist of movies, quotes, gifts, religion, few health articles, and music to help in hard times.  Although I am getting more views on movies and music, still the individual hubscore is somewhat good.   I will follow your suggestion and pursue other topics to write on.  Thanks.  This helps.

working