Give Me One Writing Rule I Am Missing

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (22 posts)
  1. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 7 years ago

I have finally got some Hubs into the verticals by submitting them. I always go through them and rewrite sentence structure. I noticed in the editor's rewrites many changes are made replacing words and deleting whole portions of sentences. When I read the edited versions they still seem to sound like my writing but I know much was changed. I tried analyzing the rewrites they provide, but can not pinpoint where my written language is going wrong.   

I reworked sentence by sentence on this Hub I want to put in Stockpile under Magazines. Can someone see those glaring mistakes, or a least one mistake I am making and can correct going forward.

Any other suggestions are welcomed too.

https://hubpages.com/politics/i-receive … of-audubon

1. Fiorenzo Arcadi profile image67
      Fiorenzo Arcadiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Fiorenzo Arcadi profile image67
          Fiorenzo Arcadiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Bev, give me a break, perhaps I should write how to paint a rock. Useless content, without any thought.

paperfacetsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Welllll, Excuuuse Me", as Steve Martin, pined. At least, you browsed my writing arsenal on HubPages. Thank you, our new Useless Judge.

2. theraggededge profile image96

I'm pretty confident that those two rock painting hubs will attract more traffic than all of yours over any given period. And, whether you think they are 'thoughtful' or not... well I don't give a flying rock. I like how much money they put into my Paypal account big_smile

"He smirked, “I am enjoying myself, I love the scenery.” She rolled her eyes, “Oh I get it, you think coming here impresses me?"

Love your style; very Mills & Boon big_smile

3. Kylyssa profile image90
            Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, do me, do me!

2. theraggededge profile image96

Try pasting your text into Hemingway - free online app. It'll highlight passive voice and awkward phrasing.

As far as content is concerned, it seems to be a bit out of date, mainly because of the slant towards a 2010 magazine article. Could you not take the topic and rewrite it from a current, more evergreen perspective? Perhaps with a title that will attract search engine traffic?

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with theraggededge. I think it's informative, and the language is OK. Just update it a little bit. And maybe shorten some of the sub titles. It's a worthwhile piece, don't delete it, fix it up and see if traffic picks up.

Thanks for the subtitle tip, will correct.

2. paperfacets profile image86

Yes, I see your point. I need to reference more about the main point of 4000 oil oils. The oil boring stops at the Florida border. I will research the "passive voice". Thank you.

3. paperfacets profile image86

Bev, I have known you for many years through the Internet, over ten, I think. and thank you for taking the time suggesting the Hemingway app. It is so easy to understand and I applied it to the Audubon Mag piece. The app really is starting to drive home the passive voice mistakes I make.

I realize now, an app like Hemingway, is what the editors use.

1. theraggededge profile image96

You are very welcome, my dear smile Yes, it's been a long time.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, the main thing that stands out is the reference to 2010. That may immediately lose anyone who might have gone any further reading your article. Maybe you can do something to discuss that magazine subscription in terms of the present so it doesn't sound like it's an out of date article.

In addition, I see several formatting mistakes you've made that I actually just discussed in my latest hub that HubPages referenced in the last weekly newsletter. It's about overlooked writing techniques on HubPages. You can also find it from my profile. I think it will help you.

First thing I did was reworked the author bio, and as most of you suggested. the 2010 references are gone. I wanted to express the detailed information the publication offers.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

That's a much better focus. It should help with traffic. Just give it time for Google to pick up on the changes. Don't forget about the other suggestions I mentioned in my hub, such as mobile friendliness.

Later this morning I did go over all 12 points. The amazon mod was changed to the mag instead of a book and I wrote my personal view on it.

I went through the comments and deleted a few,. new photos are going to be added and I looked at the mobile view. Thanks, Glenn

Great work. I see you just added content within the Amazon capsule when you changed it. Notice that it no longer looks like a spammy ad. Looking much better.

Thanks!

4. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming you want real information about your writing, rather than someone who is soft soaping.

1. Your writing is stilted. By that I mean that there is no natural flow. That is unusual for someone who reads a lot because generally reading gives one an ear for the natural rhythm of language.. You appear not to have an ear for how language sounds.  Because going through your entire article would be too time consuming, I'm going to use your OP (original post) to give examples

2. In your op, you said " and deleting whole portions of sentences." The word would be 'entire' not 'whole.' The thing is that it's not that the words mean anything different so much as the sound of one is better to the human ear while the other is not. So this is why the editor is substituting different words.

3. Your sentences are jerky and your writing terse. This is because you do not link sentences in a way that makes each following sentence join to the previous one in a smooth way. So, for instance, in your OP, the first paragraph, you start every single sentence with 'I' except one, and in that one, the second word was 'I.'  You should start each sentence with a different word, plus you need to link sentences using conjunctives, preferably a different one each time. Do not use 'and' overmuch.

4. You need to practice 'tight' writing. This means you should say more using fewer words. I am going to rewrite your sentence and tighten it from 74 words to 43 words.

5. In order to get better rhythm, write a short sentence, then a long sentence, then a medium length sentence. This removes the terseness from your writing.

I hope that you understand the principles of good writing a little better now. If you need more help, feel free to ask. wink

Tess, I hope this is a cut and paste, because you did not read the whole thread. I would hate for you to have spent all that time on an critique. It was accepted by the Editor Team for the Verticals, so I am not touching it at all for the moment. It seems the suggestions I got last week worked okay.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
          TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, of course, I did not read the entire thread. I thought the purpose was to establish why editors always changed the wording to your previous hubs. I didn't beyond your first paragraph of your hub either either. I worked as an editor for two publishing houses in London for a few years so I more or less have an idea of why people would change things.

2. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 7 years ago

Dear Community,

Thank you all who helped me with this Hub earlier last week. I submitted it this morning and in just hours it was accepted into LetterPile.

Sherry

Congratulations! wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)