I'd like feedback on my Hub: Alaka Das- A devoted Soul of Classical Music

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. SSS1942 profile image74
    SSS1942posted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I think the English is okay. Then what is the problem? why I facing trouble to clear the QAP frequently of this article?

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Alaka Das- A devoted  Soul of Classical Music (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. tom10love profile image61
      tom10loveposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Try to change your title.It is too complicated so boring to read the whole article use simple language.Music is a platform where you can try to convey many things like ragas, and so on.Well, i am not an expert to comment about your English still you can improve it.

That is it....Carry on All the best have a great day

2. chasmac profile image92
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

The English is NOT ok. There are many mistakes. The writing style is good, the title is fine and the Hub is informative, but the mistakes spoil it. Look at your first sentence:

"Legend has it that in the middle of 16th century, Classical musician Ramtanu Pare ( Mia Tansen) and Baiju Bawra matched their voices at a recital in Agra."

Three mistakes - "16th century" should be "the 16th century" and "Classical" shouldn't begin with a capital C; it's "classical". Also remove the space before "( Mia Tansen)".

And that's just the first sentence.

3. chasmac profile image92
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

Good! You fixed the sentence. I want to see this Hub do well because it could be a great Hub, and I like the subject, too, so here's some more help.

The title is fine for HubPages QAP, but you really need to start with Alaka Das because that's a very important keyword for this Hub. That's what people will put into search engines when looking for info on Alaka Das.

Alaka Das: a Pioneer Artist of Classical Music in Bangladesh

Now the next sentence:
    "Tansen opened with todi, spend some minutes into the raga, a herd of deer came running in the musician’s direction and stood transfixed by his voice."

As far as I know, "Todi" is always capitalised.

"Tansen had opened with Todi and spent some minutes into the raga when a herd of deer came running in the musician’s direction and stood transfixed by his voice."

and the next...

Since then, the raga has been represented in visual art, especially in rajasthani miniature paintings, as a woman in a forest, holding a sitaar, surrounded by deer."

That's a terrific sentence, and it only has two small problems. Rajasthani needs a capital R. Sitaar is spellled sitar in English. "Sitaar" isn't a mistake as it's not an English word and you could claim "sitaar" is equally correct, but it's almost always written as "sitar" in English. That's the spelling people will enter into search engines - so don't miss out.

SSS1942posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much. I am applying all this necessary changes  in the article. Hope, Now, it will pass the QAP.

1. chasmac profile image92
        chasmacposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well that's just the first paragraph, so don't get your hopes up just yet.
        The 2nd paragraph is good and descriptive, but here are the mistakes:

" Suddenly, the sky drizzled and rain started to flow "
        The rain started to fall, not flow.   As for " the sky drizzled"  - it's gramatically correct but not right as it's not the sky that drizzles. I'm not sure how you should fix that - I would reword it completely, BUT, you can use it as it is, in a metaphorical way like you did with Alaka Das cajoling the pancham. It's up to you.

The last two sentences should be combined into one, and as Alaka Das is a woman change "his" to "her".

Thank you very much. I wonder how I wrote "his" instead of "her". Waiting for a lot of feedback from you.

The fix you made to the sky and drizzle hasn't worked. I would get rid of it completely - and you should still join the last two sentences in that paragraph.

Suddenly, a light rain started to fall. A murmur rippled through the audience, but Alaka kept up with her taans, oblivious to this unexpected visitor.

Hi there,
              I am waiting for your valuable feedback. Please assist.
              Thank you

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You've had some very valuable help already, but the bottom line is that you need to improve your level of English, and it's not reasonable to expect someone to correct every little mistake free of charge.

You must be able to write fluent English to be successful here, or have a good editor willing to work with you.

Thank you.....

2. chasmac profile image92

You've been waiting for me?  I don't actually live on HubPages, I live somewhere else, in the real world.

Ok - here's some more help, but Marisa is right. You need good English for this site. If you can't see the problems, how are you going to do future Hubs?

On May 2017, Alaka turned into 73. = In May 2017, Alaka turned 73.

During early years, Alaka's riyaz once lasted 10 hours a day... = During her early years, Alaka's riyaz lasted 10 hours a day...

But her voice has defied age, as capable of reaching the heights of swara as she could three decades ago. =  But her voice has defied age, as capable of reaching the heights of swara as it could three decades ago.
                OR
                But her voice has defied age, and she is as capable of reaching the heights of swara as she was three decades ago.

The number of participation in concerts is reduced now... = The number of participations in concerts is reduced now...

Born in an esteemed music family of Comilla, Bangladesh, in 1945. = Alaka Das was born into an esteemed musical family of Comilla, Bangladesh, in 1945.

Her father was a renowned artist of classical music Pandit Surendra Narayan Das. = Her father, Pandit Surendra Narayan Das, was a renowned artist of classical music .

Alaka was blessed to born in this family. = Alaka was blessed to be born in (or into) this family.

It was 1963. For a classical musician, there could have been no better place than Dhaka during 1960. = It was 1963. For a classical musician, there could have been no better place than Dhaka during the 1960s.

It was sound great to the audience. = It sounded great to the audience.

...she published a book on classical music named Raag Monjori by her name in Bengali language. = ...she published a book on classical music named Raag Monjori in the Bengali language.

Alaka Das in her musical tenure was awarded a lot of times by various organizations and media group. = Alaka Das in her musical tenure was awarded a lot  of ("many" is better) times by various organizations and media groups.

Parimal Dutta Memory Award in 2002. = Parimal Dutta Memorial Award in 2002.

...who makes her heart out during performance and compelled the listeners to submit into the magnificent charming of classical music. = ...who sings her heart out during performances and compels the listeners to submit to the magnificent charm of classical music.

Ok - that's about all I can do. If you make those corrections, the English will be good enough for publication and to be featured. If it's not published, then there must be some other reason.

I am grateful to you.....
                  I will remain grateful to you....
                  Thank you very much. I will take care about this issues in future while writing other hubs.

No problem, and I see your article is now published and featured. Success!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)