jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Splitting a published hub without getting hit by google

1. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I have a couple of hubs which are too long and need splitting. I'm worried that if I just split and post the two halves (under different titles of course) I will get hit by google for duplicate content if it compares the new pages to the cached copy of the old page. I hope that makes sense.

Has anyone split pages before with or without problems?

Also would it be ok to keep the old URL for one of the new pages?

2. Anti-Valentine profile image95
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

I haven't ever published a hub and then split it, but I have planned a series of hubs that was initially one big hub, and then published them separately. If it's more than several hundred words, I usually consider doing this.

3. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 7 years ago

I'd split it.

If you delete the original, then Google will find that out when it crawls that page again. It shouldn't result in any loss of Google love.

My mantra is do what's best for your readers, and you'll be suitably rewarded by the Search Engines.

4. thranax profile image58
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Don't write for a search engine, write for your audience. If you follow all the bots rules and commands you will get almost no one reading your material because it would be so "pixelated" by your adjustments. Just split it.

5. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Thx all. I will split the pages but give a lot more thought to what I am doing in future.