Backlinks, again...

1. Denmarkguy profile image95
    Denmarkguyposted 8 years ago

Sort of related, but still different from the previous discussion of the value of backlinks...

Having quality backlinks helps with visibility.

But wouldn't it be self-defeating to use URL tracking links? Here, I'm talking about the affiliate/URL tracker backlinks we can create, with the "_whatever" added to the link.

Would a search engine not "see" something like "" as a site DIFFERENT from ""

Or am I missing something here?

(who struggles to keep up with the ever-changing ways of SEO)

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Complicated isn't it?
    I think the term backlink could more appropriately be used to describe a link that someone else has made to your hub rather than a tracker you have used yourself.

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

Links with trackers in them actually redirect (301) to the URL without the tracker.  I believe search engines will still count links that redirect as a vote for the final page, but they probably discount the weight of vote somewhat.

It's up to you whether you want to use trackers in your links or not.  It is worth noting that most social bookmarking sites prohibit using any kind of affiliate mechanism in links, so you probably should not use them at sites like digg, sphinn, etc.  My recommendation would be to at least use them in places where you are directly encouraging people to sign up for HubPages and in places where you expect a lot of clicks.