I'm a little nervous

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)
  1. mattd365 profile image60
    mattd365posted 14 years ago

Hey every one I am a little nervous because I know I am not a good writer. I have always wanted to write and I have written some articles in high school but never did much with them. I would like to have help from you at Hub pages to help make me better. I am not the type to let people critique me being that it seems most people have no heart and are very rude. I have noticed here at hub pages you all seem to genuinely want to help us struggling to be better writers. So feel free to critique me and I would like to thank in for any help you can give me. I will try my best to repay your favors.

Thank you
    Matthew

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Don't be nervous, Matt, post and I'm sure ppl here will help you. Shoot I'll try to help too if you want. smile

3. MontyApollo profile image61
    MontyApolloposted 14 years ago

You need to break things up into smaller paragraphs - it makes it easier to read on-screen.

You need to go back the next day and proof read. You can miss a lot of stuff when you know what you are trying to say and don't pay attention to the words. For example, here is the first "sentence" from the belly fat hub:

"OK guys it our turn, all I here out there is about women losing lose there belly fat, most diets I see have a picture of a women on the cover of container."

I lost track of all the errors...

4. MontyApollo profile image61

I'm not really a writer either, but I think this is close to a corrected version of that sentence:

OK guys, it is our turn. All I hear out there is about women losing their belly fat. Most diets that I have seen have a picture of a woman on the cover of the container.

5. mattd365 profile image60

Thank you MontyApollo

It's kinda funny, I gave it the once over before I posted it and never caught that sentence. My mind plays funny tricks on me sometimes. I will definitely go over them tonight and probably find that sort of thing every where though out my articles. Once my head clears. smile

6. mattd365 profile image60

Wow my punctuation is bad. I will definitely work on that to. I think I try and write so fast it comes out like one long sentence.

7. MontyApollo profile image61

I always have to come back and proof-read later; I miss too much when I try to proof something I just wrote.

8. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Welcome!!!! Proofreading, spell-checking, and all that are definitely recommended. I will sometimes look at a hub I wrote awhile back and notice some glaring mistakes or awkward word choices that totally escaped me on the first read-through.

I will go check out some of your stuff, and give you my comments for what they are worth (I'm relatively new here, too). I'm glad you are here. Most folks that hang around at HP are very welcoming and kind. Some can be a tad sarcastic (myself included), but most have good hearts and are willing to lend a hand to a budding writer.

9. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Welcome Mathew smile

You seem to have at least come to HP to try your best and can obviously take contructive advice - you'll be fine.

And RooBee - you don't know how to be anything other than lovely, bubbly and gorgeous.

I do sarcasm. You stick to beauty wink

10. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

No one is born with the gift of writing ... it's all learned through practice.

What matters is that you are willing to share (at least that's what matters to me). So ... keep writing those hubs. smile

11. mattd365 profile image60

Wow You all are great, I am very impressed by your willingness to give advice and boost another Hubber up. I want to thank you for all your comments. RC planes are something I find very enjoyable and a great stress reliever after a hard days work. I love RC plane and my D.O Double G named Ripley due to his ability to pass gas allot. Along with my two beautiful girls I have all the subjects I need to write about right here at home.

Thank you all I am hoping that other new Hubbers will learn from this thread as well.

Thank you all I am changing things as you give advise. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. smile

Matthew

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi mattd365,

Hubbers are a lovely bunch, especially away from the forum... things can sometimes get a little heated on here!

All that hubbers tend to care about are the standard things:-

1) Do not copy and paste anybody elses work
      2) Do not spam the forum
      3) Do not send freaky emails to fellow hubbers

And thats it! Anybody that doesnt break those three golden rules will get along just fine.

Welcome to HP.

12. DoodleLyn profile image73
    DoodleLynposted 14 years ago

Hi Matt - Welcome to HP. I read your hub on phonics. It has lots of information and great ideas. It does, however, need some fixing with the grammar, usage, and long run on sentences. I would highly recommend a book - The Elements of Style by William Strunk. Get it, study it. It's an easy book to use, and it has really helped me. 
    Please don't get discouraged. It's apparent that you enjoy writing, and writing is what is going to improve your writing, if that makes any sense. You will see yourself grow in time, the more you write. We will be here watching and willing to help.
    I, too, am fairly new here, though, and have found it to be a very helpful, welcoming community. Glad to have you with us!

13. mattd365 profile image60

Thank you so much for all your advise and help.. Doodlelyn thank you for your suggestion, I went ahead and purchased the book and can't wait to receive it. I look forward to being a part of hub pages community for a long while.

Matthew smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)