Do you consider HubPages a hobby or as a way to boost your income?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (34 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Do you consider HubPages a hobby or as a way to boost your income?

I started writing on HubPages as a creative outlet, but now that I'm beginning to make a little money, I'm changing my outlook.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5761109_f260.jpg

2. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

I started because I like to write, bu the possibility of making some income was appealling as well. I have been unable to establish and Adsense account because they say I had one once and want me to sign into that one. I have no idea what that password was. Google is not helpful in resolving problems at all from my own experience and from what I read here on HP. So, I write anyway because I like to write.

mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad about the Adsense.  I can't help you with that problem.  If you have an account with Amazon and eBay, maybe you will make some sales from them.  Maybe do a product review on a product they sell.  Keep writing, cause you're good at it!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

My income from HubPages thus far has been somewhere between "doodly" and "squat" so I guess it's a good thing that I consider it a hobby. If I were depending on earnings from it, I'd be living in a cardboard box down by the river.

4. CassyLu1981 profile image75
    CassyLu1981posted 11 years ago

I started to give me something to do while my little ones were at school.  It has been such a joy being part of HubPages!  All the wonderful people I have met and the most amazing things I have learned have made it great.  Now that my income is growing little by little and I'm part of the Apprenticeship Program this time around it might become more then just a hobby for me smile

5. gabgirl12 profile image60
    gabgirl12posted 11 years ago

More as a hobby. I'm still learning and I've been here a year. Unfortunately I have not been able to take as much time as I could. And when I do have the time I lack the creative content.

I'm hoping with my next stream of Hubs to make more. I'm quite controversial, but in no way attempting to be offensive. If it makes money, so be it. I really just want my 'internet' voice heard.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

For me, it's a hobby. I'm not even set up to make money on it.

7. joanveronica profile image68
    joanveronicaposted 11 years ago

My objective on Hubpages has always been: "a hobby which could grow into an income". Fortunately this is so, I have no Adsense yet! Keeping my fingers crossed, but they are really cramped by now!

8. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

I joined to polish my writing skills. I love the community support, the valuable training, and the opportunity to earn income is just an added benefit.

9. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 11 years ago

When I started writing on hub pages there was already an article submitted elsewhere which was in review. It was published 4 days after my first hub. When I first started writing on hub pages I had no understanding of search engine optimization.

Those articles are now ranked page one in their respective niches.
    One, page one top of page with 1,720,000 competitors.  A few have been changed slightly to make them more attractive to readers yet give search engines what they want.

Hub pages gave me what I needed to earn an online living. A supportive community who helped increase my skills.  Then writers who help with the business by writing business articles for others.

Never stop learning. You never know what you can put together with what you learn. If you can't earn what you want on hub pages the information you gather could help you in other online endeavors. There are at least a few of us who are earning an online living.

I increase my hub earnings by sharing them with business associates and friends, who share them also. This has increased the search engine rankings of those hubs. I used one hub to show the first (now proven effective) method I used when writing my first hubs.

1. gabgirl12 profile image60
      gabgirl12posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tried to vote you up but I'm guessing there is a limit. sad But wow, I thought we were not allowed to tell people to look at our hubs or click them, I'm not sure. The only place I've shared my hubs is on FB.

2. wheelinallover profile image75
      wheelinalloverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gabgirl12 don't know how I missed your comment. I learned long ago sharing the link to an article is not only allowed but necessary. There are places which it is not allowed. Traffic exchanges and safelists because they bring readers who don't read.

10. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

I'll be honest; for me, its primarily a way to boost my income, although that will take time. So I'm simply enjoying my writing hobby. Although by my calculations, I should receive my first ever payment at the end of June. Fingers crossed.

1. nochance profile image87
      nochanceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I'm super excited to actually make money from this site.

2. profile image55
      lucy111goodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hi,
      I am glad to write
      you here today, please if
      you wouldn't mind, write me with this
      ID (lucyabel633@yahoo.com) i have
      an important issue to share
      with you, waiting for your mail,
      Lucy,

3. mary615 profile image81

You are SO right!  It takes time, and work!  Glad you're going to get a pay out.

11. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I've always liked to read and write, so I joined Hubpages initially as a way to improve my writing. Then, I liked the interactions with the Hubbers and now I make a little money, which always comes in handy.

12. iefox5 profile image58
    iefox5posted 11 years ago

Hobby now, but hope I will learn how to make money on hubpages and earn some extra income here.

As I said in my question: I started out with HP as a hobby, but you will find that the more Hubs you write (assuming they are informational, etc.) the more readers you will have, then the money will follow. It takes a while, so don't get discouraged.

13. nochance profile image87
    nochanceposted 11 years ago

This site is a great way to improve my writing skills and expand my portfolio. I love the fact that all of my articles will make me money over time without any more effort on my part.

14. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

a hobby and nothing more. i don't make money on here and i never have. i enjoy this site and it gives me pleasure to write hubs and ask and answer questions.

15. bockshiner profile image77
    bockshinerposted 11 years ago

I just started here to practice writing.

You picked the right place!  You will learn a lot from HubPages. Just write, write, write!

16. mwilliams66 profile image61
    mwilliams66posted 11 years ago

I am new to the hubpages community.  Right now it is more of a hobby.  I am very much enjoying reading other peoples hubs. 
    I am working on my first hub and would like my hobby to morph into a way for me to earn income.

17. Dawnrichard profile image57
    Dawnrichardposted 11 years ago

Usually i write because i love to travel and i want to share with all the people about my experience. And if i can be able to make some money with my hobby then where is the problem. It will encourage me to write more and more. smile

18. tipstoretireearly profile image81
    tipstoretireearlyposted 11 years ago

A hobby.  Its as interesting to read other people's hubs as it is to write them.

19. Prankita profile image71
    Prankitaposted 11 years ago

Writing on HubPages is a passion for me. I never though writing would give me so much pleasure. It was only when i left my full time job due to some personal problems I started writing. I felt that i should have my blog where I could enjoy writing what I want and found HubPages. It is a great platform for all level of writers. More than income personal satisfaction is necessary and this is what i earn by writing HUBS.

20. Anne Losch profile image59
    Anne Loschposted 11 years ago

I would say hobby.  I love to write on subjects that interest me but I do not plan to make a big profit from my hubs.  However, I can use this experience creating hubs to boost my writing skills and therefore boost my income as a writer in the distant future.

21. dalton71482 profile image60
    dalton71482posted 11 years ago

I don't see myself as a strong writer. I came across hubpages while I was looking for a recipe and looked around. It fascinated me that anyone could write story here and people would read them. After reading several hubs I realized I could doing this myself. After writing my own hub I realized how much I enjoyed doing it. While researching how to write a good hub I discovered that you could make money writing hubs (something I'm sure I should of seen while I was signing up).

I doubt I'll make a dollar writing here but it's been a great hobby. And even if I did make a dollar or two it would still be a hobby because I'm just hubbing for the fun of it.

22. American_Choices profile image76
    American_Choicesposted 11 years ago

HubPages is more than a hobby and more than a little money, for me, HubPages is a great way to read and learn and to be connected to a variety of subjects.

HubPages is much cheaper than National Geographic, and yet I can travel daily to many new places in the world. Best yet, I can interact with the authors and those who have first hand travel knowledge.

The money is nice and motivating but the community and knowledge is what drives me.

23. Vegas Elias profile image60
    Vegas Eliasposted 11 years ago

I started on hubpages just four months back as a hobby because I wish to express my thoughts freely which I felt I can do over here. Only lately I have found that this can be a good way of earning some supplementary income. However I am here mainly to vent out my feelings and thoughts to a well educated and informed audience which I found only here.

24. LostInRevery profile image68
    LostInReveryposted 11 years ago

I just started HubPages two weeks ago, so I consider it a hobby for now.  My goal is to earn some income from it.

25. yssubramanyam profile image59
    yssubramanyamposted 11 years ago

i never knew about earning on hub pages. i joined in hub to gain more knowledge from genius community. i am very much interested in mutual exchange of views and ideas. it is my main thirst. i give less priority to earning because i need much more talent in writing. i can pass healthy comments, but i have to give sense to writings, earning should not be motto behind my subject. how ever i dream to write at least one hub for my satisfaction. any help please. good hub.

26. houseofjcjee profile image68
    houseofjcjeeposted 11 years ago

Writing is my passion. Earning from it is a reward from doing what I love to do best.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)