jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)

I love writing but find as I have got older my spelling need working o

1. Helen Cater profile image59
    Helen Caterposted 7 years ago

Also my punctuation has fallen down a well.....What is happening to me the most simple words I forget how to spell. I may need to go back and repeat my English exams....Is it just me or does anyone else worry about these things.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

All the time lol Ive got this love /hate thing with 'i' before 'e' drives me batty!!.
      My backspace button sure takes a pounding lol

1. earnestshub profile image88
        earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Me too! smile

2. AEvans profile image69
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are not alone it comes with maturity I certainly do not like to say age. lolololo big_smile

3. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have never been good at spelling so as I get older I am not really losing anything:)

2. JamesCurtis profile image59
    JamesCurtisposted 7 years ago

I always try and remember that line "i before e except after c", but always forget. Weird.

1. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, very 'wierd'.

3. Helen Cater profile image59
    Helen Caterposted 7 years ago

I have problems where to place punctuation and sometimes I take a wild guess and hope for the best....so uncool...I only just leant not to spell buisiness as business...been spelling it that way for years.

4. Aqua profile image77
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Oh Helen, you are a kindred spirit. Yes, the older I get the more problems I have with spelling and punctuation. And to think I used to want to major in English...sigh ~

5. Aqua profile image77
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Yes, Maturity...that's it! smile

Helen Caterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Is that what it is...gosh you mean it's going to get worse.

6. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I totally understand.  This is why I'm devoted to MS Word and Firefox...they save me from eternally spelling wrong.  Punctuation is easy for me, although I tend to have run on sentences - I just can't stop myself, you see.

On tip I learned after I was diagnosed with Dyslexia, read your sentences/paragraphs backwards.  Yes, its daunting, but you catch your grammatical errors and capitalization errors easier.

1. emievil profile image83
      emievilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I read in another thread (forgot the topic) that it is better to write the hub first in MS Word before copying and pasting on hubpages. I took that advice and I sure am glad I did. It saved me from all those misspelled words and missing punctuation marks I kept having before. Whoever gave that advice, thank you.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image64
        GeneralHowitzerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hehehe you just know this recently LOL there emievil...

This is what I do hehehe... Everytime I type directly to hubpages awww I got a lot of faulty grammar and misspelled words.

2. Helen Cater profile image59

Oh boy here we go, i just know i'm gunna kick myself for asking , and before you all start, yes i am blond...What the hell is MS I thought it was a desease. easy explanations please...Blond with no lights on here!!!!

1. dohn121 profile image88
          dohn121posted 7 years ago in reply to this

MS = Microsoft smile My suggestion to fix your spelling problems is to read as much as you can!  Getting into a habit of reading will breed discipline and memory (for spelling, etc.) Not to mention it's fun smile

more reading you must be joking. I read 3 books per week and have done for the last 15 years..OK I admit since i started hubbing it's been none...but that's only 9 days...There must be something wrong with me.A brain disfunction...gawd did I spell that right.

1. dohn121 profile image88
              dohn121posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Okay, but do you work at trying to improve your spelling/grammar? I'm sure if you put some effort into it, you will excel!  English is actually my second language and I also grew up learning both Thai and Lao (I had no other choice).  You'll improve only if you want to big_smile

Oh for sure I am everyday. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist in anything I do..I drive myself crazy..never mind those around me. Think I might take my English Lit and Language degree again...It was 20 years ago.

7. LVM profile image54
    LVMposted 7 years ago

It's time someone write about enhancing memory.

You can buy those brain training games..I have one and look where it has got me..Went over my hubs at 5 oclock this morning and I could not beleive all the mistakes in there...I swear to you all they were not there yesterday...I think we have a grammer devil in the hub who goes around changing the text.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I always spell weird incorrectly too...

1. JamesCurtis profile image59
      JamesCurtisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thought of this thread today when I started my new hub
      "How to write an online dataing profile that works"
      followed by another new hub
      "How to write an online dateing profile that works"
      Bah. I now have these two borked URLs sitting in my profile taunting me...

9. sabrebIade profile image84
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

I write in notepad, transfer it to Open Office, do a spell check, transfer it to Hub Pages, look for spelling errors and I STILL miss some.
    I have a bad habit of getting into typing and just let the words flow and not worrying about what I am typing, just what I am thinking.
    So don't feel bad.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I use OpenOffice just not for correcting my spelling mistakes

10. Anti-Valentine profile image93
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

Well, I use MS Word, so it picks up spelling and grammar errors, and here on the forums, the similar squiggly lines appear if you make a mistake.

I make sure to check.

But writing on hubs is different, the text capsules don't indicate spelling mistakes as far as I know...yet.

1. sabrebIade profile image84
      sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hmmmm... I wonder why mine does.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image93
        Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It does, but not automatically like Word. And if you check the spelling or something, then it messes up everything in the text capsule.

I don't use it. I forgot it was even there.

11. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

well some days i spell well..... other days i make quite a few mistakes... grammar needs really brushing up on, i know.  Writing most days now though, i am sure we must improve with time, even if we have lapses in memory, or as my sister calls them senior moments.....

working