jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

unique/duplicate content

1. belief713 profile image77
    belief713posted 8 years ago

I have a few question about this:

"The uniqueness of content (copying content already available on the Web will be penalized)"

I have noticed my HubScore has dropped - it was averaging at about 91-93, and now it's holding steady at 88. And it's annoying me.

How does HubPages know if your content is duplicate? The only duplicate content I have is an article I wrote and submitted to article directories, which I also have as one of my hubs. If it's my content, is it still considered copying? Could that be penalizing my score? If I take down the hub, will it raise my score?

Thanks in advance...

2. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 8 years ago

You'll know if you've used duplicated material (other than the fact that you've copied it) because you'll get a notice in your hub saying that it has incurred a duplicate penalty.

If you want to push past the high 80's and well into the 90's it's not duplicate material that will hold you back, it's traffic.

HubScore will fluctuate depending on a variety of factors. Get more quality traffic to your hub/s and you'll see the score rise.

HubScore is a side-effect. It's a gauge. Having a HubScore of 100 doesn't mean you're going to have a successful hub, it means it already is a successful hub.

belief713posted 8 years ago in reply to this

So, does that mean it's ok to have duplicate content if it's my own? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't plan on doing it a lot, but if I want to use a paragraph here and there of my own work, will I be penalized for that? Or is it better to just get into the habit of always writing 100% unique content?

Thanks for the tip on traffic. I think that may be the key to why my score has dropped - I'm seeing a lot of blue arrows. I've been getting what I believe to be a decent amount - between 50-100 impressions (according to Google AdSense) each day. Those numbers are different from what HubPages shows, but it's pretty close. That's why I started messing around with article directories - so I could drive more unique traffic.

I just always hated getting B's in school, which is why I think anything below a 90 bugs me smile

1. darkside profile image85
        darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

What I'd do is rejig it a little. Do a rewrite. Reword, add extra info if it's appropriate, or remove anything that really isn't needed.

And here's some extra reading for you. Find out more about HubScore here: http://hubpages.com/_learn/hub/Hubscore

belief713posted 8 years ago in reply to this

I've read the HubScore info before - I guess I just kept thinking there was some fine line I was missing. But I guess it's all as plain as it gets there. Thanks again.