Would you all be insterested?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. cmlindblom profile image71
    cmlindblomposted 14 years ago

I just started hubpages to start writing about the day to day life of an infantry marine as it happens when they are not at war. As I browse through hubpages ive notice its a very informational and less storey telling. Do you think people at hubpages would be interested in reading these stories or am I in the wrong place?

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

dont worry about others, if your interested in writing it, others WILL read.  smile

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are many hubbers who write stories at hubpages. Crazdwriter writes stories about pursemonsters and shoemonsters.

I think your stories would be welcomed.

3. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like everyone's sayin':

Bring it on "grunt!" smile  "If you write it...they will come!"
      I for one would be very interested...but did not know that Popeye
      had become a Marine (thought he might be more Navy? Maybe...he just decided to go on over to the Men's Dept...?) lol

http://crawdaddycove.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/field-of-dreams.jpg
      "If you write it...they will come!"

4. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You may see some interest there. You can also post at writing.com but free accounts are limited to 10 works. Another alternative is to blog. There's probably plenty of them out there geared towards the military which will get more views.

5. Stimp profile image59
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

all of my stories are life experiences i've had with a comedic twist.  i've gotten some great feedback.  i think u r hubs ... sorry i'm typing on my phone this message... would be very well received.  meanwhile check out my hubs and u'll see what i mean.

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Providing your hubs are well written, write on a topic of your choice, in keeping with the TOS.

Welcome to HubPages smile

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I agree with Justine and Frogdropping.

Write well thought out stories using good writing skills, and you'll definitely gather fans.

Welcome!

4. Morgue profile image75
    Morgueposted 14 years ago

As the others said, Write about what you want to write about. With a bit passion in your writing, it will hold our interest. Either way, it sounds like it will be informational anyways. As not all of us know what the daily life of a marine entails.

5. cmlindblom profile image71

Some of you said as long as they are well writen... im not really a writer and my education goes no further then high school for now but I do want to get into writing a little bit because being in the marines kind of dulls your brain and im trying to keep it as sharp as I can.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Educashun ain't all it's krak'd up to be.

Don't worry about grammar and syntax and stuff. You'll have your own style.  People will read what's interesting and you'll get better with the technical stuff as you go along.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People here are pretty encouraging and supportive. Not everyone who writes is a professional, but it does truly help for you to take an active interest in increasing and refining your writing skills. It sounds to me like you could be a very active and powerful voice in this community, so I personally would encourage you to write and keep getting better at it.

You can make money on hubpages. You have to develop it like any money-making opportunity. There's lots of info about the money side and lots of hubs about how to do it.

6. Blogging Erika profile image66
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

I love the idea! 

How about splitting the difference between informative and storytelling, and breaking your hubs down by topic?  "What meals are like when you're a Marine in peacetime," "What driving the truck is like," "What it's like to work with a drill sergeant," that kind of thing.

You might also look into NaNoWriMo, which starts on November 1st.  It's a challenge to write a 50,000 book (non-fiction counts) in the month of November.  That could really get your brain firing on all cylinders!  http://nanowrimo.org

7. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

you'd be surprised how much 'storytelling' you'll find on hP wink
    many of us specialize in fiction and poetry. Sometimes, though views arent as high with those kinds of things, but as you build a fan base, you'll find your views even out just fine smile

do keep in mind though, HP is not like a blog. Writing seperate stories or different parts of a longer story in a hub is good but it isn't something you'll be updating day to day like a blog. Each hub is its own stand alone article, poem, or story.

By the way...welcome to HubPages!!! big_smile

8. cmlindblom profile image71

ok im starting to understand how hubs work vs blogs. but yea i guess i want people to be enlightened to what the marine corps is really about when we arent fighting wars. oh and we dont work with drill instructors haha its just a 3 year billot that you apply for. its not a real job in the marine corps

9. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Good Writing always finds readers

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

THAT is so true

10. readytoescape profile image59

Hell I wrote about my Redneck birthday and fishing with girls in bikinis. Those two stories are getting a ton of hits.

Ive written about all kinds of things, whatever happens to spark my fingers into slamming the keys.

11. cmlindblom profile image71

ok good well i was just wondering about what thats all about. why do people keep talking about making money on hubpages is this a job or something.

12. readytoescape profile image59

Some people do use Hub pages as an income source, thats up to you, but thats not what is all about

13. readytoescape profile image59

At hubpages its up to you, monitize, popularize, aggrandize it doesn’t matter!

14. Janet Meyer profile image60
    Janet Meyerposted 14 years ago

I have tried a few times to submit a 'hub' on HubPages.  I seem to get almost to the end, and I am lost.  Do I have to have a picture to go with my article?  And about the links to a website, what If I don't have a website? 

I checked the FAQ pages, but could not find anything about my problem.  Please help,
    Janet Meyer

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we all feel lost at times, especially at first. today I stumbled around for a while then figured out my problem.

before you begin a hub, it's very helpful to read a lot of good hubs first. also I think many bypass this because they're excited to get started, but it's very helpful to read the Getting Started section completely.

http://hubpages.com/docs/HubPagesGuide.pdf

to answer your questions, no, you don't have to post a pic, but at least one may be nice.
      not sure what you're referring to in regard to websites.
      don't worry about that. just read through the getting started guide and that should help. smile

2. Carmen Borthwick profile image60
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You might also want to check out this hub by relache, it helped me a lot, I've passed it along to a few folks
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-help-information

15. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

you are in the right place for writing, whatever the subject

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)