Easier Way to Bring in Links to a Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I know it's been asked before. I've even asked it before. But is there a better and easier way to bring in links to a link capsule from another hub.

It'd make linking series so much easier. I spent about 2 hours yesterday linking an old series that I have together. It included about 20 or so hubs that had to be individually added to each of the hubs within the series. I didn't add the links when I was working on the series because it was going to be too time consuming, yesterday I was thinking it would have been easier had I done that.

I ended up copying the link with tracker from each hub, saving it to a word file, and then copying each one over one by one, deleting the summary and altering the title. It took forever...

I realize it can lead to a lot of spam, but if there was some way to copy an existing link capsule that would be sweet. 

I know we can search and find hubs that way within the link capsule, but it doesn't add the tracker, and you can't search by your own hubs, so I'd still have to filter through and hope what I was looking for came up in the search, and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe even adding a way to pick a tracker from the link capsule and advance search by searching through your own hubs not the entire site would be nice.

Something ... Please ...

1. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why not try to use the text capsule? It can give the flexibility that you need - changing titles, summary, without having to copy the links, because you could simply "link to your hub" and just copy-paste the tracker.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

I agree with R.G. Using a text capsule also avoids the problems with link capsules loading backwards and the need to reorganize the links after you load them. 

Another interesting thing about using text capsules for links is that if you copy the entire set of links after you're done and paste them into a Word document.  Then you can save that DOC file and reuse it for creating another link list in another hub. Just copy from Word and paste it into your new text capsule. The magic is that the hot links actually come along for the ride! So it can be done in seconds. A real time saver.

I should have saved this for one of my hubs with tips for Hubbers. But I just wanted to get he answer to you quick.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Thanks Whitney for bringing this up again. It is my #1 request. I wish they would do this type of thing instead of worrying about HubFeeds and the Home Page changes.

Working with Hubs is the "bread and butter" of HubPages. Linking hubs easily is one of the most important things we can do for SEO. It isn't sufficent just to group them.

4. Whitney05 profile image83

RG, using a text capsule would cut down on the repetitive copy and paste, but in a way, it's more work because you have to type in all of the titles, highlight, paste in the link, and do it for say 15+ hubs.

To me, that'd be more work. It's a possibility though.

OH! And I have tons of problems using contextual links in the text capsules, especially when at work, which is when I write most of my hubs. I can't save the text capsule when I put a link within the text. I have tried MANY MANY times, and that's linking hubs to other hubs within the text. It just doesn't work. There's a long thread somewhere I started, but it was never resolved for me. Larry tried, but I still can't put links within the text while at work. Sometimes it doesn't work while at home either; it does work most of the time while at home, but generally I don't have time to work on hubs at home. Sometimes, but not always.

Nelle, I agree it'd be nice to have this. I've requested a few times. HP team never comments when asked. I've seen your requests as well, and don't recall a comment. Even just a 'we'll put it on the think about list' would be nice. ha

5. jellydonut25 profile image60
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

what about using "Groups" or is that not what you're talking about?

6. Whitney05 profile image83

Groups is fine, but they really only link two hubs to the one, and those two are at the bottom, so most people don't really pay attention to them.

I want to be able to group and show links to an entire series on the hub, not just one or two hubs.

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Given the truly vast amount of Hubs on this site that are just a few purloined actress pictures and then a raging slew of internal links, I have to say that I am totally against this type of feature just on the basis that it would fuel an even worse proliferation of that type of Hub.

If I have to do a bit more work just so we don't make it easier on the low-quality Hub factories, that's fine by me.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's actually a lot more work. And the Link Capsule keeps freezing on me. So I add 2 links, save the capsule, save the hub. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I think HP should just deal with the issue of Indian photo hubs and spammers in a more direct manner. But I may not be grasping the total complexity of the problem.

1. thranax profile image73
        thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have neither of you seen the video I made? For heavens sake ANYONE CAN MAKE A LOT OF LINKS VERY VERY QUICKLY. I DID OVER 20, Labeled Links to different Hubs WITH trackers in under 5 Minutes. If I focused a little more and had to really do it for my hubs, it wouldn't take more then 25 mins to make the list with tracker urls and copy it to all 20 hubs.

God.

I think its Laziness that leads people to think they need this kind of feature..its not like you need to write the link HTML for each one >.<

~thranax~

1. profile image0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. thranax profile image73
            thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle,

I am not calling you lazy, I am saying that tools have been made already that simplify the normally long an tedious HTML process in making webpages etc.

Asking for an enhance on the tool provided is more like saying:

"Yes, I want the whole process automated for me."

I know the problem isn't with the tools, its with the amount of what needs to be added and the time that takes. But the only way to change what is there would be allowing a very easy solution for spammers. As the quality of the web continues to decrease, its better that real writers and content creators take the time to do it.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

~thranax~

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
          JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dear Tharanx,
          I am just watching your video. Can I link any others hub in this way? I think this is for our own hubs only.

Do we really need tracker for our own hubs? Perhaps it pays only when we link to some others hubs.

Jyoti Kothari

2. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa and Relache for explaining it in simple terms. That does make sense.

AGREED I know they're short staffed in ratio to the volume of hubbers, spam, etc, but directly addressing the issue of spam and half naked Indians would be nice. I'm sure it would make many people happy.

Thranax, let's not get touchy.. Goodness.. I haven't seen the video. I will check it out. But, by not putting the tracker, that does save a little time since I can use the search feature in the link capsule.

Suggestion for HubPages
        I would like to be able to do an advance search by just my hubs though. I know there are many similar topic hubs, and sometimes the search doesn't pull up what I'm looking for.

8. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

We will discuss it further amongst HubStaff, but I'd say it's unlikely unless we can figure out a way to prevent its abuse, which is no easy task.  If you all have suggestions on that, we'd be happy to hear them.

As far as trackers, we do not want to encourage their use within hubs, for several reasons.  The purpose of trackers is to reward people who bring traffic from outside of HubPages.  Secondly, links without trackers are better for search engine optimization purposes.

In any case, just wanted to acknowledge that we have heard this, and it is on our radar.  So far, the potential abuse by spammers, etc, has outweighed the potential benefit to honest users.  Again, if anyone has suggestions as to how to avoid misuse, feel free to let us know.

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Thank you so very much Maddie. smile big_smile

10. Whitney05 profile image83

Thanks Maddie.
    Why are trackers not good for search engine optimization?

Does that mean I basically wasted 2 hours adding the links and trackers. That stinks... Should I waste another few and remove those and the ones from my other series? Kind of would have been nice to know, but I guess that's my fault for not researching trackers being bad. I don't mean for that to sound rude by any means; I realize how it may.

Would you suggest just deleting the capsules instead of using them? Linking is good, but 15+ links for the same base domain is bad or good?

Edit: Went ahead and started just removing the trackers, and when I saved the capsule and the hub, no loading sign or sign that it was saving, and the tracker reappeared in each link I had taken it from.

11. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Sorry, Whitney, was in a meeting.

I don't think it's a waste.  Trackers don't eliminate the SEO benefits, just dilute them slightly.  And adding internal links is still useful if they are relevant to the hub topic, which it sounds like they are.

12. Whitney05 profile image83

Cool. Thank you. I'll leave the one, but I've already removed one series of trackers. It worked out because the other included more hubs, and I really wasn't looking forward to removing them.

But why exactly do the trackers reduce SEO benefits.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whitney, there's a thread about this somewhere, which got too technical for me.  Something about 301 redirects.

I think the point is that when you include a tracker, it sends your visitor via somewhere else instead of straight to the Hub, so the Hub doesn't get full benefit of the link juice. 

I used to include my tracker in all my links.  Now, I only include it if I'm posting somewhere with potential to recruit. For instance, I don't expect many belly dancers to be interested in writing for HubPages - but if I'm posting on a writers' forum, or writing a Hub about making money online, all my Hub links have trackers.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a nice, non-technical explanation of how trackers aren't always a good thing. 

Search engines recognize that the tracker link is really a redirect that then sends visitors to a genuine page, and you lose a big of your relevancy (aka "link juice") because you are really sending your visitors on a subtle detour.

13. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Whitney, thank you for the question. I put tracker to all my links too. Now I know better.

Maddie, thank you for the answer.

14. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Whitney, Made a video for you to watch to test how long it would take. If you did it this way, I can only see it taking you a MAXIMUM of 25 minutes. I did it in about 5 mins.

For Whitney - Quick Linking
    (this isn't an advertisement url, its a link to a video I made to help with the problem)

Made it special, don't know if ill keep it up though.

Enjoy,

~thranax~

1. profile image0

Good thing you made that video thranax. I thought my response made sense; now I know people really need to watch something in order to understand how some things work. big_smile

15. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 14 years ago

Quite informative, I am not much experienced in using Hubpages and this thread has opened new ways for me to work on hubpages

16. profile image0

Thank you Thranax, your system for linking hubs is working like a charm. My sanity has been restored and my blood pressure has returned to normal. You can't imagine how happy this as made me. I am working on a series of 100 hubs and the thought of using the Link Capsule was making me dizzy and nauseous.

17. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Good video, thranax.  I hardly ever use the Links Capsule - I almost forget it exists!  I think some people get too hooked up to the idea that if they want to post links, they have to use it, and that's where people have wasted time doing it the hard way!

18. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the video thranax. smile It was nifty.

I have read in other places that the links capsule is the preferred way to add links, but I've never seen anybody explain why they say that. (I think I maybe read it in a description of a flagship hub? I'm not remembering right now, sorry.)

I use both text and link cap.'s because I'm not real clear about why there are two methods for doing it in the first place. Is there a reason to use the capsule, other than to set the link apart from the main text? (You could just use a text capsule for that anyway... ???)

smile

19. Whitney05 profile image83

I checked out the video, but like I've said, when at work (which is when I do most of my hubs), I can't do contextual links like that. This method won't work for me.

Thanks though... Plus, I have tons of hubs I'd have to search through, it's take a minute to find them all. If there was a way to reduce having to search through over 650 hubs and if I could post links that way while at work, your method would probably be better.

I guess, I'll be doing it the way I've been for now. Thanks though.

R.G. I know the method that thranax posted the video about, and have used it numerous time, but like I told you that won't work for me. It may work for others, but while at work I can't get text capsules to save with link within the words/phrases like that.

1. profile image0

Hmm. I think it's time to use the html option. Now that's easier copy paste, if you want the same hub links to show on different pages...

20. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I have used thranax's method on one link,but will try multiple links for a test drive.

21. profile image0

Unfortunately the same problem making links with the text capsule, as I have had with the link capsule, started today. It won't save. The hub freezes up. It's slow as molasses. When I tried to cut and paste the html it wouldn't save it. I had to exit HP and shut of my computer 5 times to link 8 hubs together.

Trying to link numerous hubs is just a miserable experience here. If I didn't think that is is so important I would just give up on it.

And I agree Whitney, when you have lots of hubs it isn't easy to scroll through them all. So I bring up two hubs at the same time and they both freeze.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, the problem you have with the text capsule adding links, is what I experience every time. :-/ It never saves and then deletes anything else added in the capsule after adding the link. I used the link capsule today with no problems adding 16 links, though.

I think maybe doing a link capsule like normal. Save and go to the saved page. Copy the info. Go to the hub you're trying to edit and open a text capsule and paste in the links. I'm not sure if it would work, but it's something I thought about on my way to lunch. Basically work with one hub that has most of the links you want to copy those links and then paste into the hub you're trying to edit. But, that still poses a problem for those who can't get contextual links to save in the text capsules.

22. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I totally agree, guys - linking on here is a major pain in the behind! I always get awesome traffic results from linking relevant hubs, so I know it's really important. It just takes a while. This time could be spent writing more hubs.

Any improvement, even in the slightest regards, would be more than welcomed!

23. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Whitney,

Perhaps exporting all of your URL's via the CSV feature and using the spreadsheet for fast searching would help?

..it saves me a lot of time for my extra-hub promotions

24. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

Sunforged, can you explain that a little further?

25. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

I personally am too lazy for all that work.  I use the RSS module with a unique tag, and if I need to link to more than 8 hubs I use more than one RSS feed with another tag.

The format is like this

http://hubpages.com/author/prof/tag/hot?rss

where "prof" is your profile name and "tag" will result in your hubs tagges with "tag".  You can substitute "new" or "best" in place of hot, "new" will get you the reverse chronological order.

The beauty of this is that it auto updates, if you add hubs with that tag it will update all your hubs with the RSS feed embedded in them.

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea....a going to try it and see how it works out for me!

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea!

Will not the hubpages authorities think it deceptive tagging? Just asking?

Thanks for sharing,
      Jyoti Kothari

3. profile image0

The problem here is that you can't add the tracker, which I think is part of the question. But that is of course easier, unless if you want some hubs to show permanently (as older hubs get buried in rss)

26. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

No, the URL shown just creates a feed of only your hubs tagged with that tag.  So, for example, say you had a series of 24 hubs on gardening you wanted to link to, you could tag only 8 of your hubs with "garden", another 8 with "gardens", another 8 with "gardening", and so forth.  Not at all deceptive, just that you are careful to manage them so you have unique RSS feeds for each of the tags.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)