jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

The Big Snow

1. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

I can't get on Facebook, can't check my email elsewhere - is it because everybody on the East Coast is posting their snow pictures or what? Sheesh!

2. jellydonut25 profile image60
    jellydonut25posted 6 years ago

Buffalonians: we are all laughing at the snow troubles of everyone else...when you go to bed at night and wake up with 36" of snow and are still expected to be to work in the morning, you tend to find others complaining about 20" laughable...

that's only my kneejerk reaction though. my reaction after the fact is that is must be pretty horrible when you're not equipped to deal with it...we get enough snow that it's a well-oiled machine when we get 20-30 inches overnight but I do understand that DC doesn't really usually need to be prepared for that type of thing...

it'd be like us having an earthquake/forest fire/flood...we're not ready to deal with that type of stuff...

3. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

that stinks. sorry to hear that.

4. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Most people I know are having a lot of fun. Of course the folks in Buffalo think we are idiots. But it is because we are idiots that makes a blizzard such a happening! We are having 20 inches on top of the 30 inches we had 4 days ago. There are side streets downtown that are so narrow, the snow plow can't go down them. Then the people trying to dig out have no place to put the snow. Right now, no one is allowed to drive in Baltimore. Period. We are having white outs, so we didn't even go out for our usual blizzard walk!

1. jellydonut25 profile image60
      jellydonut25posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm not trying to pick on anybody. Like I said, we're all set up for it. When we get four to seven feet of snow in two to three days (happens about once a year) we know what to do with it BECAUSE it happens once a year...

I always used to laugh when I was in college (went to college in Buffalo) and the out of towners would do two things:
      1 - VERY FIRST day of snow they'd be outside playing in it
      2 - They'd laugh at the fact that by the end of the first semester, we hadn't gotten a lot of snow.

the first semester ends in December, we usually only get a couple of light dustings in early December...by the time the second semester rolled around and these kids went through a real winter storm, they'd change their tune pretty quick...

BUT like I always say, I'd MUCH rather deal with a few feet of snow than a few feet of rain, or an earthquake, or a hurricane...