jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

1. 0
    stay_home_mommy3posted 6 years ago

I'm writing a hub about abuse.  I'm wondering if using #$tch in it's normal written form is allowed?  I don't remember if I can or not and I don't want to get into trouble

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

Personally, I'd find an alternative word. Profanity doesn't lend much credibility to a hub.

1. 0
      stay_home_mommy3posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've tired to think of another word...maybe I can just reword the whole paragraph to make it known what was being said, without really saying it....I do agree with Jean (below) too because you can't really "nice up" abuse

3. 0
    JeanMeriamposted 6 years ago

Just do it the way you did here. If you are writing a hub about abuse I wouldn't try to make it look nicer than it is. B&^%h is a really mild one. But I think you can just use the word if you want to. I have seen much worse on hubs.

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

My choice would be to use another way to express what was going on.  There's always something like, "The abuse wasn't limited to physical abuse.  She screamed vulgar and demeaning words, and the worst profanities, in a way that....."  (You get the idea.) 

The reason I'd go with something like (besides preferring to keep my Hubs "PG-rated" (or whatever) is that sometimes using another approach can even pack more punch (at least if it's a non-fiction Hub, aimed at addressing an issue; with creative writing it can be a different matter - but not always).

5. Life at DrTom's profile image78
    Life at DrTom'sposted 6 years ago

I agree with Lisa.  Using the B word emphasizes YOUR connotation of what that word means.  Instead, tell us what he/she did to deserve that feeling from you and we will decide what we would call it.

6. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

Just to clarify my reasoning, it wasn't to downplay the severity or intensity of the situation.  I like LifeatDrTom's explanation expanding on LisaHW's response, describe it vividly and we'll form our own conclusions.

1. 0
      stay_home_mommy3posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry, I wasn't thinking you were downplaying anything.  Abuse is a hard subject to write about because it involves such intense feelings.  That's why I asked. I do agree with you...so, I'm off to look for another way to say it....
      Thanks to Dr Tom, Lisa and Jean for your feedback.  I was able to get different views and that helped me smilesmilesmile