I updated to fire fox and now

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Eileen Hughes profile image62
    Eileen Hughesposted 13 years ago

Now each time i open my email and click on a link it goes to the link and then I cannot go back to email.

I now realize that I have to right click and choose open in new window.

But I keep forgetting (force of habits) is there a way of doing it like in ie without this problem.    Thanks.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

When you talk about email, are you checking your email on the Internet by using a web-based email service like Gmail, or are you using an email client program installed on your computer?

Second question, what normally happens when you click on the links in IE?

3. Eileen Hughes profile image62

I am using yahoo.

And when I used IE8 I would just click on the link like a comment from hubpages and it would go there.  Leaving my email still open.

Now with this one if I click on the link it takes me there but lose the email and have to open another page and put password in again.

Or
    If I remember to right click and click on open in new window its ok.

but i cant go back it comes up with close all tabs. if I close the x on top right.  Its a pain in the but IE was so much simpler

I thought there may be some think to change this setup somewhere in fire fox

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure your Yahoo isn't still open, it's just in another tab?  If you're clicking to close the window and it's saying "close all tabs" that means you have more than one tab open.

Next time, look just under your top toolbar and see if you have tabs.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is probably open you have just opened anothe file which is another tab.  That way you have the useful option of working and switching from multiple tabs or files..

4. profile image0

Firefox has the option to open new pages either in a new tab or a new window. If it does neither, this is probably because the links are coded in such a way that Firefox sees them as instructions to open them in the same tab/window. Apparently, IE sees them differently and opens the links in a new tab/window.

There may be workarounds to force the link to always open in a new tab/window. I can look into this if you want me to.

However, the much simpler solution seems to be for you to go back to using IE 8 for regular browsing; then use Firefox for building and publishing new hubs. That's what I do, use each browser for what they are best suited for.

5. Eileen Hughes profile image62

Thanks for your help on this problem. It is a pain, but I will try and do as you say.  How do you swap back.  My husband uses this computer too, so its  a bit confusing.  It would be better to do everything on one or the other.

Anyway I went this way as you know because of the loading of images.  It caused double postings of my images on Info barrel but have nearly redone all (100 plus articles) of them now so that nearly all fixed.

So do not want any more  hassles.  thanks again for your help I really do appreciate it.

6. profile image0

I suggest you send me an email, then we will get it sorted out soon enough. Meanwhile, enjoy your weekend!

First, be sure to check out SunSeven and Marisa Wright's comments below, maybe they hold the key.

7. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

in FireFox

Click on the 'Tools' tab
    Select 'Options' in the drop down menu
    Click on 'Tabs'
    Check 'open new windows in a new tab instead'

That will do the trick for you.

Best Regards

8. Eileen Hughes profile image62

Sunseven ,  I went in there and that tab is already ticked.  the only one not ticked is the bottom one.

When I click on a new email a hubpage comment and forget to right click and say open in new window. 

It takes me to that persons comment right.
    now normally you can click on the back arrow and go back in any page to the last one you were looking at.

This does not happen anymore.  That why I close it with the x at the top and that is when that sign comes up close all tabs.

I havent taken that out because I am still trying the get a handle on this.   ggggrrrrrrrr

9. Eileen Hughes profile image62

Marissa,  I have lots of pages open at the one time,  but I have allthe open pages showing on my bottom bar so I know its not open

I have to go to bookmarks and click on yahoo and then put password in to open it again.  I feel like a real slow learner.

You would never ever think I used to teach computers for a past time career would you.

Every program has little things different and its just a case of understanding them I suppose.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Eileen, Firefox doesn't just use pages (which show on your bottom bar) it can also use tabs (which show just below your top bar). 

You must have more than one tab open, or it wouldn't be asking you if you want to close all tabs.

10. Eileen Hughes profile image62

Marissa it only says that when I click the x close

I tried to do a print screen but not clear enough for you to see

all i have is latest headlines, most wanted, free woodworking plans, Redgage, marissa latest rss,haha. and eBay
    There is nothing in the address to open up like you do in IE

There is a star in there too for bookmarks.  And nothing else just all the pages I have open on the bottom bar.

I am tempted to delete it and re-instal it to see if something went wrong.

The only thing wrong with that idea would be that I would have to re do all my info barrel images again.

11. Eileen Hughes profile image62

Website examiner,  thanks for the suggestion and you have great w/end too. tar

12. Eileen Hughes profile image62

Thanks to Website examiner, Marissa and Sun seven everything working okay now. 
    Much relieved as it was frustrating  thanks again.

13. profile image0

Eileen Hughes, you are welcome. Good luck.

14. profile image0

No Barry, that wasn't the case at all, and the OP is perfectly aware of tab handling. Like she said, the problem was resolved yesterday.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)