jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)

Why do people leave comments sometimes?

1. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I really think that people leave comments just because they can.

I mean, what other excuse is it for people look up or click on links in a search or outside blog or page, then leave a comment like, "this is so stupid. you're wasting your time. you're an idiot" etc. and typically with a few cuss words?

Personally, I think that sometimes kids look up stuff, then decide because they may not be able to cuss around their parents, they leave comments cussing up a storm many times with super bad grammar and tons of works, shortcuts, and slang such as: u, sup, nuffin, 4get, 2 (instead of to, two, or too)...

1. StupidQuestions profile image60
      StupidQuestionsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

To answer your original question--they do because they CAN.
      YOU have control!
      YOU choose to give the words of strangers whatever power you give them!
      WE empower words they do NOT empower themselves.
      THAT is one reason why I think censorship of any kind is nonsense!
      If we would not GIVE words and images power then everyone could say and post anything anywhere and there would be no issues regarding editing or censoring content.
      But unfortunately too many people have closed, small minds.
      Do NOT take anything you read here personally!
      It's the internet and it isn't real!
      They don't KNOW you!
      So either delete their comments or have fun and put these people in their place IF you choose to take the time to play their game.
      Have fun!
      Life is short!

2. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think your on to something.  I get a few of those on my fun things for teens to do this summer.   Good point Whitney!

3. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm surprised at this post by you. You've been around here a long time, and probably a long time in other venues, too. You know the score, the drill, the routine.

Think about being so popular that you are a target for crap.

That hasn't happened to me yet. Don't know that I'm looking forward to the day, but at least it will show that I have a huge audience.

Your stuff is good...sorry that you are feeling down about it.

I'd be happy to punch the "stupid" sayers in the nose, if you like and if you give me their email addies or their names or their ISPs or URLs or whatever.

Your fan, from the beginning,

4. thisisoli profile image73
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ergh, I hate poor english comments.

5. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll go read all 800+ of your hubs and see what's making them so mad!  It has to be something you said!

2. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't take it personally Whitney. Sometimes, people are just screwy and your hub just happens to be there. It's very satisfying to press delete and erase their moronic comments.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image95
      Anti-Valentineposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes I delete comments, but other times when I feel particularly malicious, I approve them and proceed to put something there that puts them down. I get my own back, and I don't even have to use bad spelling or grammar, or swear.

I usually have the last word seeing as they usually don't bother coming back anyway.

They probably move on to the next article, blog post, or forum where they can troll. They're losers. Wouldn't worry about it.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

Sounds like they're just trying to feel better about themselves. They're probably just jealous of your success and want to knock you down. Just ignore those comments.

4. myownworld profile image79
    myownworldposted 6 years ago

Who knows what motivates people to leave nasty comments...
    much easier to simply press the magic key:

saves both time and energy put to better use elsewhere! smile

1. Info Bucket profile image77
      Info Bucketposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's the way!??

5. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

have you ever read youtube comments? they tend to get real nasty, worse than our political and religious forums. I think they find some kind of power in leaving those comments.

just delete if you don't like it.

6. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I do delete them. I'm just posting a thought thread, so to speak. Just rambling.

7. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey Whitney, some people are more ignorant than they are conscious. wink smile

8. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Whitney, do not give power to those who would take it by dissing you. Your hubs are very good, some people have to steal your power because they are empty.Keep up the fine work.....

9. waynet profile image48
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Some do look for responses by doing this type of commenting and I used to give in and have a go back, but now I just leave it up there are as a reminder that they are complete and utter nuggets!

10. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

It's never happened to me, I don't think I'm popular enough.  Cheeky little beggers, just delete them Whitney.

1. 0
      Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just took a peek at your work and I'm guessing that it's the green eyed monster that is motivating snide comments.  I think when you get attention like this, it's a testament to the quality of your work.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

That's why you have the ability to use the "Deny" button....

12. M.s Fowler profile image60
    M.s Fowlerposted 6 years ago

Ignore them it could be due to jealousy!

13. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

You company is kaput here!

(for the now defunct spammer)

14. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Well, I just left a comment at your Macs Suck hub.   I disagreed with you, but I wasn't nasty about it.

When you are in someone else's home, I think you should be polite.  It is that simple.

15. StupidQuestions profile image60
    StupidQuestionsposted 6 years ago

Well hey!
    Seems it just occured to me that posting a forum question lik ethis can be a way to avoid the self-promotion ban HP has here!
    Probably not your intention but it DID get yor hubs some attention so that's a good thing!
    ANY publicity that doesn't get you in too much trouble is GOOD publicity here!