Facebook--Reading about a family member's death?

1. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 6 years ago

I have a Facebook page, like so many do these days.  Today, I'm afraid to go check it out...

My husband Tom's brother has cancer, and last night we found out he only has a day or so to live, or less. Am I going to find out on Facebook that he died if I go there today?

Last year, Tom's mother died.  She lived in the neighboring state, as Tom's brother does, so we weren't able to be there with her.  But within 15 minutes of getting the call that she had passed away, there were two posts on Facebook about it.

What if we don't get the call before one of our town criers do?  How will Tom feel reading the dreaded news about his wonderful brother on the Internet, if we don't get the news in time?

I understand wanting to let friends know...but too often family members are almost RACING to post these things on Facebook.

I love reading about good news, or funny news, but for your loved ones' sake--give everyone in the family plenty of time to be notified before you post a death on Facebook, PLEASE!

Sorry--I guess this sounds more like a public service announcement than I meant it to...

For those of you who follow Tom here on HP, you may have seen the last hub he did, about his brother Tim meeting the Indianapolis Colts?  That's the brother I am talking about.  If any of you have a minute, I know Tom could use any kind words of support that you might have for him right now. So if you could go to that hub and leave a comment, I would so appreciate it.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

oh my. I don't think Facebook is the place to post a death.
    so many FB users don't think before they post even though they mean well. I can understand a tribute long after the family members have been allowed to grieve, but not within 15 minutes. Maybe stay away if you think you would find out that way..  {hugs}

3. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 6 years ago

Thanks rebekah... smile And you're right--I know they mean well.