Questions! How does one know if his or her articles are interesting?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Inspired to write profile image77
    Inspired to writeposted 13 years ago

Whilst reading through the forum posts I want to learn how to create more clicks for my article titles & one suggestion I read was an article has to be interesting to read so followers of such subjects may become compelled to click to read more & even possibly add you as a friend?

But what does actually make an interesting article because there are so many subjects to write about?

1. MissE profile image78
      MissEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm... I have found that when I write in a more personable, playful tone I get a better response than when I write more formally.  Does that make sense?  If I write like I'm talking to my best friend I get more feedback than if I write like I'm the authority over any certain subject.

Inspired to writeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your input MissE it certainly makes sense, I have tried both approaches & am now waiting for the clicks & feedback to come in so I can judge for myself. All the best. Dale

2. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It makes sense, but it all depends on what you are writing about. Not all topics are suited for a "chatty" tone.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For an article to be interesting, it requires not only good information, but a compelling "voice."  It can be about anything if it's written well.

You have to think of your writing as if you were speaking to someone that mattered to you: you speak to a lover in one way; you speak to your mom another way; you speak to your best friend, your pastor, your college professor, your enemy all in different ways.  But they all matter to you in some way.  The voice of your piece should reflect the concern you have for the topic and convey it in such a way that your reader understands that you are telling them because A) you care about the topic, and B) you care about them enough to have told them.

Before you write something, ask yourself, Who am I talking to here?  Imagine yourself sitting at a quite table or a private bench in a park with your target audience, the ONE person you think this story will matter to.  Take a deep breath, envision that person, and then write to them.  Then go back and revise it so that the language and tone are suitable for the audience you know you are ACTUALLY going to get, e.g., for the HP censors etc.

If you approach each piece like this, people will feel it in the writing and they will stay and read.  If you are just cranking out pieces in a reflexive meat-robot style, your prose will be dry and nobody will care.  They will know you didn't, so why should they?

That's my two cents anyway.

3. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i would know if interesting comments starts coming to mu hub

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

do you want more viewership and followers at HP or google  plus other search engines?

Hi prettydarkhorse Ideally I would like to be noted for my article pieces so feedback is important, also, by introducing various subject written within my categorise I can view what subject is most popular to readers thus create more of the same.

Whereas clicks that create revenue are concerned I'm sure the work involved will pay dividends in the future.

Thank you for your input. Regards Dale

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, those "Useful, Funny, Awesome (What's the other one?)" stats should help you see what people like and don't like about your writing.  You might take clues from both your own writing (what's different about your hubs that got votes) and others (why did this ones hub get so many votes).

But none of that necessarily has much to do with making money if that is your ultimate goal.  Accolades can give you warm fuzzies, but Google deposits pay the bills.  It's nice to have both, of course smile

Thank you Pcunix.

It would be nice for me to create an income from google revenue.

Thanks for your reply. Regards Dale

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

There is always the possibility to post links to some of your hubs on the Extreme Hub Makeover forum and request feedback there:

http://hubpages.com/forum/23

Thank you website examiner for bringing this to my attention!
      Regards Dale

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I always feel the most intriguing articles begin with an intriguing headline.  Maybe the most important element.  The content has to carry this same tone, and if lucky, a visually creative execution, makes it pleasing for the reader to visit and spend time with that Hub.  That and mentioning my name within the content, lol

Thank you kimberlslyrics. I don't think I could mention your name within my content though lol. Thanks for your response. Dale

6. john@patatusfoam. profile image59
    john@patatusfoam.posted 13 years ago

I always think that igniting a discussion after an article post is always a good way to measure how interesting it is.  I know how rare it is for me to comment on an article unless I truly find it interesting and compelling.

7. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I think it is easier to tell what people have found interesting - after the Hubs have been published for a while. Then I can gauge incoming traffic, time being spent on that page etc. I tend to reorganise the columns in my accounts page by clicking to see which hubs have most traffic which days. The subjects that sink like stones I would think twice before publishing more on a similar theme while the ones that rise to the most views I know are more popular.

I write about things I want to even with say seasonal hubs, I think life's to short to spend time writing about subjects I find boring.

Best not follow my advice though, it is a slow climb 'cause I do not always take the easy route.

Every so often I spend time making adjustments to the slower hubs( e.g. back-links I find to boring to sit and do)but hub-links I will do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)