jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

How much will it help leaving the right hand block for ads?

1. Karanda profile image83
    Karandaposted 6 years ago

My understanding is if you place your first image in the second placement capsule, this will leave the prime spot for ads to the right hand of the first text capsule.

I really have a problem with this, or maybe it's my little screen. When I click on another Hub quite often it is the image that draws me in, yet when I arrive all I get is a few words of text on the left and the rest of the screen taken up with ads. If it frustrates me then I wonder how much it frustrates other readers.

Does it really help leaving that block free?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes it does. While it may frustrate you, it's also in your face, right? Which means that your eyes are automatically drawn to it as one of the first things seen on the page. And the sooner it's seen, the more chance you have of someone clicking it.

Karandaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So does this mean to be successful in terms of monetary gain, it is better that no-one actually reads what I've written?

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

On some levels, maybe. But since the average CTR is only 5-10%, you'll find most visitors either click back fairly fast or do read through the article - although most people do skim read.

A lot of people will also scroll back up to the adverts if they saw something they are interested in following up.

Perhaps I need to review some of my hubs and see what difference it makes. Although I think my biggest hurdle is getting the traffic to them in the first place! hmm

2. PurpleOne profile image89
            PurpleOneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The average Adsense CTR is 5-10%? Wow, mine is WAY lower than that - I don't think it is breaking TOS to tell you that it's much lower but I know I can't tell you just how low it is. Most of my hubs have that block open for ads on the top right. Is there anything else I could do to improve my CTR, Wry?

1. lrohner profile image84
              lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The average AdSense CTR is usually below 5%, and it can vary greatly depending on your niche. For some, 1% to 2% may be average while others may see 3% to 4% and still others may experience CTRs that are much higher. Amazon's average conversion rate (not CTR) is in the 5% to 10% ballpark.

2. OpinionDuck profile image60
      OpinionDuckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't use ads, and that really helps.

AdCents no.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

Karanda,

From what I can see from your profile page on the Hubs you have written so far, I am getting a feeling (from a SE point of view) that your still attempting to find your particular niche or subject matter.

Although I can see a family traditions section that seems to be growing.

Comes down to your personal preference of which hubs are for fun, and which are more 'commercial'.

Put some Amazon ads on your family traditions hubs and see what it is like with Christmas traffic.

Try plugging in the words 'How To' in your hub titles as well, such as 'Family Traditions: Fairy Lights at Christmas Time' to 'Family Traditions: How To Display The Best Fairy Lights at Christmas Time' it will change the traffic your getting for sure.

'Tis true I'm trying to find my niche and the Family Traditions were meant well, for family mostly so I was reluctant to put Amazon on there, they don't like the commercial stuff as it is, but now that they've read them it sounds feasible to go back and add some selling stuff.

Your 'how to' suggestion is fantastic, I can't believe I missed this. Appreciate your help, gee I sure do need lots of help.

working