jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Unoriginal Recipes

1. bogerk profile image87
    bogerkposted 5 years ago

If I wanted to compile a list of recipes for things to serve at a Super Bowl party, but none of the recipes were my original recipes, would I be able to do so as long as I attributed each recipe to its original source and provided a link to that recipe online?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Like any writing the actual recipe is subject to the same copyright rules as any other writing.  So it my be under copyright depending on when the recipe was invented.

bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OK - recipes are frustrating because my wife and I make our own food for parties all the time, but we don't even remember where the recipes came from originally.

It would be nice to be able to write Hubs on them, but obviously my wife and I are the inventors of French Onion Dip as people across the country make that in their kitchens.

2. Edweirdo profile image95
      Edweirdoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The ingredients list in a recipe cannot be copyrighted, only the preparation instructions.

So, if you write your own unique instructions, the recipe becomes "yours" in terms of copyright.

And when you add some depth to the instructions - tips and tricks, for instance - then you actually create something unique and useful to your readers that is now wholly your own creation!

bogerkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how there could be 8,000 taco dip recipes online and not have that be a copyright issue at some point in time.

Thank you!

2. livewithrichard profile image87
        livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is true and good advice.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Better yet, do what I do. Simply talk about the recipe(s) and link to them. Include tips and tricks and variations, etc. It's a LOT less work and is less aggravating/frustrating to the person who owns the recipe(s).

One of my biggest earners is about recipes and has not one "recipe" included in it -- it's all outbound links to my favorites. And many of the recipe owners have linked back to me giving me all of the SEO juice and Google love I could ever want!

1. Julie2 profile image78
      Julie2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

that sounds great!