How to Value the Equivalent Value of Your Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I know we can't sell individual hubs, so this is not about selling them.

But that doesn't stop me from fun math games...

So, if a hubber made $100 per month, how would you value the portfolio?

Simple Interest Method.  In this case, the hubber would make $1,200 per year (12 x $100).  Assuming 5% interest (no taxes, etc for simplicity) then you would need to have $24,000 ($1,200/0.05) in an account earning that amount of interest to be equal to your HubPages earnings.

I suppose we could make it more complex with using formula for a recurring annuity.

Are there other ways you think about the equivalent "value" of your HubPages portfolio?

1. john.jackson profile image69
      john.jacksonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

$100 is a lot of money to make from HubPages unless you are very dedicated. This site is quite hard to make money on. For example in the last 10 days, I've had 100 views and I have made absolutely no money from them, note that I only use Google Adsense.

In answer to your question, it's hard to place an exact value on a Hub, but you can look at the amount of traffic and then work this out as a total percentage of your total traffic. Next time your total earnings by this percentage and it should show you an estimate on how much it is worth a month. This is also only if you are just using Google Adsense, if you are using other tools such as Amazon then you need to look seperately to work it out. Hope this helps!

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. If you work for it you'll earn it. I don't earn as much as (many) others on HubPages but what I do earn (on HP and via freelancing) pays my rent, bills and living expenses. And I've got one child, a partner and a dog relying on me.

I should imagine your lack of earnings are performance related - so from your perspective you're right. Work little, earn little.

I'm not rolling in it but we manage. And I know my earning potential will grow and grow.

To the OP -  nice evaluation. Not sure on the math but looks good smile

2. Mutiny92 profile image64
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

John, I agree with FD.  With a bit of work, $100 per month is not unrealistic (especially when combining Adsense and Amazon).

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.  I've been here 3 years. I've averaged less than two new Hubs a month (because I also started my own websites), and I don't backlink.  It's true that it took me almost a year to make my first $100, but these days I'm earning over $300 a month from my Hubs.

While I haven't written many Hubs, and have just randomly picked subjects I liked rather than doing the hard yards on keyword analysis, I have put in the hours to learn about making money online.  And all of my early Hubs were rewritten several times as I learned more. 

If you're not earning money, you're doing something wrong. You won't earn money unless you put in the effort to work out what.  Start by posting a couple (just a couple) of your Hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover thread to get some advice.

1. Peggy W profile image96
          Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have never posted a hub in the Extreme Hub Makeover. Obviously you must think that there is great value in doing that.  Did you learn from that site?  Did you post what you thought was one of your better hubs?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

No, I've never posted one of my own Hubs there.  It didn't exist in my "apprentice" days on HubPages! 

I suggested it to John Jackson because it sounds like his Hubs aren't producing the results he wants - but he doesn't know why.  Since you're not allowed to post Hub links anywhere else, the Makeover thread is the sensible place for him to seek feedback and help from other Hubbers.

1. Peggy W profile image96
              Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Understood.  Thanks!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Your question is interesting because it is possible to sell your HubPages account.  All you'd have to do is give the buyer your username and password.  They would paste in their own affiliate codes and off they go. 

However, I agree with Nelle. If I was buying a HubPages account, I would base my price on a 3 year lifespan, because I can't control what the site owners do, and 3 years is a long time on the internet.  So to make a profit, I wouldn't be paying more than the equivalent of a year's income.  And I'd be taking a back-up of all the Hubs, so I could use them elsewhere if disaster ever struck!

However assessing a year's income isn't as simple as taking a month's income and multiplying it by 12, because (in my experience), income increases steadily over time. If a Hubber can get to the point of making $100 a month, they'll be making $200 a month before too long.

So you'd need to see several months' history to see the trend and project it into the future, to arrive at a fair price.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

When I decided where to put my efforts in 2011, I measured hub value in terms of future earnings potential 5 to 10 years out. I don't believe in evergreen content beyound 10 years - really 5. There is a whole bunch of added uncertainty because of lack of ownership of the site. The increased number of hubbers all going after 3 affiliate programs means a lot of competition for keywords. Plus a lot more variables. It was a very complex analysis.

I had an advantage because I have some personal websites that are over 10 years old or 5 years old to compare HP performance to.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, I never thought about and "end date" on hubs, but I guess it makes sense as something can change...I like the idea of putting a finite life span on a hub.

BTW- you were one of the very first people I have followed!  Thanks!

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

You're very welcome and thank you.

1. JD Barlow profile image61
      JD Barlowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Money can be made. I have been here just over a month and I hit the $10 mark. It has taken me 7-8 hours a day going through the reading, researching, forums, posting, backlinking, etc. I expect my first payout will be at the 11 month mark. Any sooner and I will jump for joy!

Don't be fooled it is very very hard work. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Just ask any of the top performers. As I once heard on the radio "it took me 10 years of backbreaking work to be an overnight success".

Are you willing to break your back?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)