jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

The URL tracker really works?

1. jeyaprakash84 profile image61
    jeyaprakash84posted 5 years ago

Recently I have started using the URL trackers. I created a new tracker and sent an article to friends with the URL tracker and was feeling good when the numbers started changing !! I then tried to use the default tracker while submitting a link to shetoldme (learned from some Hub that it works), not knowing that the site doesn't recognize links with trackers. Then I removed it. But still, that tracker id is showing some numbers.. more than 30 now. I got a doubt whether the tracker is working correct or not..

Also I found that the overall view in the statistics has not increased in correlation with the increase in views, shown by tracker.

Kindly clarify.. What is your experience with the tracker?

2. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 5 years ago

Traffic via a tracking URL, from my experience, does not show up in your normal statistics.

jeyaprakash84posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh! Fine..

What about the efficiency of the numbers shown in Trackers. As I mentioned one of the trackers, I tried to use in one site, but could not use. Also, I did not use it in any other place. Still the views kept on increasing. What is your view on this?

1. darkside profile image80
        darksideposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the numbers reported are accurate. And I've been tracking this tracking data since December 2007.

If you check out my most recent hub hub/trackers you'll see where I've shared a sample of my stats for the last 4 Januarys (2008 to 2011).

That was interesting to read. You have put a great effort. But, in my case, I am really confused why a tracker ID would show some data when it was not at all put into use.

1. webismine profile image61
            webismineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think this would mean that you had clicked a link carrying the tracker, which resulted in the system starting to record the impressions.

After integrating the tracker id into my hub URL, I checked it once myself (so, one view) and submitted for shetoldme. It did not accept the link with the tracker id in it. So, I removed the tracker id and submitted the link. I have never used that tracker id anywhere.

It may be like this. I got it now. As I checked that tracker id once myself, that cookie got saved in my system. After that, it tracked my hub views and is displaying the same. Ha ha..

3. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

SheToldMe must not allow out trackers. Every time I have tried to add a link there with it...it says it is invalid. I remove the tracker and the submission works.

Yeah. It is true. It does not allow trackers. If SheToldMe would accept the trackers, we could at least get to know the efficiency of that site. For a trial, I submitted a link. Later I stopped doing that.

4. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

"The URL tracker really works?"

Nah, it’s a myth. smile

Actually, here is one reason tracker numbers sometimes don’t appear to make sense or add up:

“One time I created a tracker link for a few days and then I deleted it. But the tracker count still kept going up, and up, and up. For days, and days, and days. And weeks.”

The reason was that the original visitors still had the tracker cookies on their computers. So every time they returned, up went the tracker count no matter where on HP they happened to visit.

Oh! That is a good study! Thanks for that.

working