jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Do we lack upright role models today?

1. pisean282311 profile image57
    pisean282311posted 5 years ago

do we have right role models today? what do you think?

2. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

I think we lack good role models.  Too many people have stars in their eyes and admire the wrong celebrities for instance.  Addictions and all sorts of things somehow become acceptable if a person is famous or has money.  Good question.

1. pisean282311 profile image57
      pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

hmmm...quiet right...but celebs too have their own role models...guess issue is with core...

3. 0
    hemustincreaseposted 5 years ago

Role models are usually ( aside from parents and family etc ) chosen and not forced upon us. Celebrities for example, are people I know absolutely nothing about and nor do my kids. So good or bad they are not role models for us. Whom we choose to admire or respect reveals as much about ourselves as the one chosen by us. Of course many are heavily influenced by other people,even if they with their lips pronounce them to be 'bad' role models. I personally think a true role model has to be known to exert any real and lasting good influence on others. And mostly in today's culture, role models are counted as merely public figure, far removed from the day to day reality of most, without any real possibility of reaching hearts and minds.

4. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I believe there are still plenty of positive role models out there. They are quietly doing good things and leading by example.
    They are not the people attracing media attention, though.
    The media loves controversy and negativity.
    Maybe every 10th story on the news is about the positive impact someone is making in others' lives.

Case in point. Out here in CA another horrible tragedy has dominated the news. A janitor shot and killed an elementary school principal in his office. It's another senseless violent crime. Of course all the parents and kids interviewed talk about what a GREAT guy the principal was, and I'm sure he was.
    But he would never have attracted public attention for the positive things he did as principal.Unfortunately, it took his tragic death to bring his accomplishments to light.

5. lorlie6 profile image82
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

Sorry, but I can't resist...we do lack upright role models today since most of them are horizontal! smile

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't get it, sorry...

2. pisean282311 profile image57
      pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Lorlie, *DOH!*

1. lorlie6 profile image82
      lorlie6posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hehehe! smile