jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

What are your criteria for voting down hubs (that aren't obvious spam)

1. TaxNerd profile image85
    TaxNerdposted 5 years ago

I've been here a week now and I've watched with interest how my hubs are rated up or down. In general, they're doing well (I do put some effort into them, they're original content, etc). But I've always been curious to watch the volatility -- why some hubs my surge upwards for a couple of days and then suddenly start to get taken down a notch. I realize everyone has different standards, so I'm curious: What are YOURS? If you vote hubs up and down, what criteria do you use? Is it spelling and grammar? Subject matter? Design? The whole package? It's been suggested I put one of my hubs to the extreme makeover section, and I may do that. But before I do, I'd like to make some proactive edits. I'm extremely new to all this!

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you are referring to the hubscore, voting up or down or rating it MAY have an effect on that score.  No one knows for sure.

Hub score, just like the hubberscore on your avatar, varies day to day and often for no perceptible reason.  While it will very often drop early on, if it then comes up to around 60 or more and stays there don't worry about it.  You will only be hurt if it falls to 40.

1. TaxNerd profile image85
        TaxNerdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah, interesting. I thought it was literally a tally of votes. You start at 50 and if 20 people vote it up and 5 vote it down, you're at 65. Etc. This is all fascinating.

1. wilderness profile image97
          wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It most definitely is not that - many things come into play, including a random variation.

Just keep it above 40, that's all.  In addition, you will want to keep your hubberscore above 75 if possible.  Interact on the forums, write hubs, hub hop, etc.  You're almost there already - a little more time and work will produce that figure as well.

2. kschang profile image90
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My own criteria for voting up and down? I apply my own version of the CRAP test (apologies to Howard Rheingold for borrowing his definition, and thanks to Ernest Hemmingway for coining it). But I mainly deal with fact-based hubs, not the artsy-kind. smile

Hubscore is NOT based solely on votes, but also popularity and some other factors that Hubpages have not made completely transparent. smile

Any way, my CRAP test has these components

Bias: Do you have a pre-existing bias regarding the hypothesis?

Purpose: What is the purpose of the hypothesis? What is the ultimate goal?

Evidence: What supports the hypothesis?
      ==Facts as evidence
      ====Fact or hypothesis?
      ====Are the facts current?
      ====Are the facts reliable?
      ==Testimony as evidence
      ====Is the testimony author qualified?
      ====Is the testimony author reliable?
      ====Is the testimony current?
      ==Logic as evidence

Counter-Argument: What about the other side? Was it studied at all?

Details are at:

http://randomrantsbykc.blogspot.com/201 … ector.html