How's the Recovery going ?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (70 posts)
  1. Ritsos profile image41
    Ritsosposted 13 years ago

I know there's a lot about this all over the place but thought it might be good to have feedback in one place s to whether traffic is recovering after the google hit and if so, roughly how much?

I can't personally say as I've only been here a couple of weeks or so but am interested.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has bounced back to normal already.

I'm quite pleased.

Hope to hear the same for my fellow hubbers...

1. snakebaby profile image65
        snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you check your traffic source? If you're sure it bounced back to normal, it must be your hubs specific, or there are more traffic comes from HP itself, or traffic fluctuate, sometimes you feel it has come back but it hasn't. I thought mine had, but after all it is not the case at all. Feels like all imaginations

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
          Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't get a lot of hits to begin with, but it seems my new hubs get lots of hits from Hubpages, while as my older ones get lots of hits from Google.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to Quantcast the recovery does not yet exist:

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

That graph is consistant with my traffic.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do those dips in that chart refer to weekends?

1. livewithrichard profile image71
          livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, thanks smile

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Traffic is like a seesaw for me.  HP Ads compensate for the lost Google adsense earnings. Even if sometimes views are back to normal, CTR or eCPM is not good. This is the same with all my accounts. Sales hubs are the ones not converting at all (both for adsense and amazon.

3. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just saw that graph, shocking... I had to find a thread to rant in, I don't know where I am, one minute earnings go up..traffic did drop a little after the Google Algo hit but I wrote a hub on the weekend that is getting me an extra 200 views a day to make up for the loss.
        What I don't get is I had a good weekend with high earnings and then today the traffic is still high but earnings very poor? I seem to get a Monday low in my experience

4. ngureco profile image81
        ngurecoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's look like it for my case.

The graph below show my traffic for the last 150 days (Oct 15th, 2010) up to yesterday (March 14th, 2011).

http://hubpages.com/u/4775930.jpg

2. profile image49
    smartme99posted 13 years ago

yey i am si happy it turned back to normal by the way how did it go?

3. profile image49
    smartme99posted 13 years ago

opps i spelled yey haha i ment to say was yay

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I don't have any recovery. But I did not have a collapse, either...

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi SunSeven, long time no see. How are you doing? smile

2. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is the secret of no collapse?

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

me too misha

5. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

The only recovery will be from people writing new hubs... and my guess is that has dropped off substantially. 

Additional recovery can come by getting authority to your hubs (one way or another).  If no authority is gained, then traffic will remain much as it has with increases coming from new hubs that are able to rank for keywords.

1. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you nailed it but I think that the authority comes from sites with relevant topics to your hubs.  Ideally these links would come from a guest post but a link in the comments would do fine.

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

My recovery is going well...Still have the odd drink of red wine!

1. lyndre profile image59
      lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol
      The odd red wine can kill your recovery abstianance is the only answer.smile

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Abstinance???! I think you mean absinth, I'll drink some of that! big_smile

1. lyndre profile image59
          lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tried it. Have to be careful it can make you loose an ear. big_smile

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 13 years ago

Ryan's link is pretty accurate as an overall picture, I suspect.  Traffic has generally stabilized but not recovered.  My own traffic is too "young" to give any personal insights.

8. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

It's about the same as it was before.

Adsense is down quite a bit though, which is odd when compared to Analytics.

*I am concerned about the new pages though. It may take a while before they are comparable to the older Hubs.

9. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

It would be helpful if Hubpages worked out what the 12% of search queries that were affected by Farmer were.

They have the data.

I'm guessing something happened outside of affiliate link pages.

10. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I am yet to see a recovery. My traffic did drop and is still low, BUT it wasn't a very drastic drop.

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem is HP probably doesn't know what to say as it's across the board.

We know they've said product hubs have done bad.  I suspect that's because there were too man chiefs writing about the same (duplicate) subject.  Actually I don't suspect, I've seen the trends...

1 HP is on the front page for any certain 3-4 word keyword and everyone else on HP that's written about the same subject can just lick their dust or try to beat them. (Age matters)

Hubs that could get at the top of google (by top I mean the very first position which gets 58% of clicks) for 3-4 word keywords have little chance now unless an authority site hasn't written about it.  By authority, I've learned that Google means lots of backlinks and PR (PR not included for HP,Squidoo, or other content farms as you have to get that for yourself now... I suspect wink  .  Actually I don't suspect I... you get the point

11. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

My Adsense is back to what it was in September of last year - and I had far fewer hubs back then.

I've sold four items on Amazon this month and made all of $3.50.

So no recovery for me yet.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I don’t know why, but Yahoo and Bing are really coming through lately. They’ve been steadily increasing ever since the Google sneeze.

probably just a "paradigm" shift wink

It could also be that since google.com represents less of your traffic you notice the bing and yahoo traffic more?

I certainly notice Google.CA more as it now represents 30% of my google traffic...

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 13 years agoin reply to this

what's worrying is if the farmer algo is "rolled out" to google.ca and google.co.uk etc and the problem gets worse!  is that possible?

It's not possible... Unfortunately it's probable.

2. frogdropping profile image76
          frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. Which is why it's time to roll sleeves up and deal with it. We can't change what's happened. Change has happened and we have no influence on it.

At the moment there will be tweaking going on (or whatever the google hounds call it), the kinks will be ironed out, then at some point it will all be rolled out to the rest of the world.

Whilst many of us have gained some traffic back, it's not particularly US traffic, which is why income isn't matching the upswing.

We are not yet in the recovery position yet I'm afraid.

2. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed the same thing

13. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

All I can say about this is: "Win-ning!" (Thank you, Charlie Sheen...for the new verbage)

14. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Looking back over February and to date, my worst days were March 2,3 and 4 since the Google slap.
    Traffic seems to have held at a constant except for a few bad days.
    I am actually up 8,000 hits this year compared to last.
    (February 1st through March 14th).

15. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I'm back up to zero page impressions a day

1. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I published a new hub today... first since da ding, so I am up to 5 impressions... unfortunately, I think they are all hub hoppers.

16. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

My traffic is up but the amounts I'm getting per click is waaaayyyy down..anyone else have this problem?

1. profile image0

Yes, and I have no idea why.

I saw a big fall in eCPM when the US traffic dissapeared. That is to be expected, that is the largest AdSense market gone.

We are now left with the UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand. They are the English speaking countries left, that is where your decent AdSense clicks can still come from.

Traffic from non-English speaking countries is almost worthless or just doesn't exist. You aren't going to be getting big clicks from Indonesia or India, put it that way. A 10p click from India is a $2 from the US.

But, I also saw a huge decline in CTR with the new ad layout, this could be one of three things:

a) The new ad layout doesn't convert as well.
      b) It takes a while for ads to become highly relevant, Google has to crawl 1 million pages and figure out what to put where following the move about.
      c) A bit of both.

If there wasn't a change in ad layout I would be worried that Google had put the site into a lower pricing category. That is still a possibility I suppose, but it is probably too much of coincidence to be anything other than the things mentioned above.

If my CTR was to return to its state one week ago then my AdSense earnings would probably be OK. I suspect that AdSense earnings will begin to recover soon though.

Just my 2 cents. My punt is on c) though.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
        Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I'm way down and getting pretty discouraged.  I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a better site somewhere.

1. profile image0

Your own private site basically, if you are prepared to do the SEO.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
            Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's an idea.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no. My traffic dropped by about 25% and has stayed pretty steady ever since - but my income has dropped more like 75%.

17. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

I'm up and down a lot. Before I was usually getting regular traffic and had a hubscore of mid-eighties. Now it drops for a few days then climbs up then drops again. Very frustrating.

18. Eve Foss profile image71
    Eve Fossposted 13 years ago

My traffic is climbing slightly, too, but the CTR is abysmal. Gotta admitit is frustrating.

19. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

I don't see any improvement after the algo change and expecting things will be sort out soon.

1. cre8tive profile image80
      cre8tiveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday was my best traffic day since the end of the world - sorry, google algo change.

Traffic isn't back up to pre change levels yet but it heading in the right direction and crucially adsense is also picking up (though my analytics isn't reporting properly at the moment so I'm not sure where it's coming from).

I haven't really removed any news or RSS feeds - except some I came across when fixing amazon hubs which added no relevance.

What I have started doing is backlinking (externally). This is something I think I now consider a necessary evil - I'm never going to do it to a great extent but even 3 or 4 per hub (on the ones I've done to date) seems to make a difference.

Of course none of this has any scientific basis and is purely my observation - but it's given me something to focus on, and sometimes that's all you need.

20. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I have not recovered.

21. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

My views are all up and down still, had a very good week last week but the weekend bombed, Monday was my best day ever so it's still all over the place.
    My adsense is doing OK- I have made payout again this month so I'm quite happy with that.
    My Amazon took a massive knock as a lot of my hubs are sales related. I have followed Nellie's advice and converted quite a few hubs back to adsense only. I'm on the verge of the threshold for March so will at least get a check from Amazon. Things could be better, but at least reaching payout keeps me motivated. Am really looking forward to joining the new ad prog whenever I get the invite.

22. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

The past few days have seen search engine traffic to my hubs almost back to the same figures that were common before TAD (That Awful Day).

If it keeps up all week, I'm calling it "recovered".

As to money, no, not yet.. that's still in the cellar.

1. profile image0

And have you checked to see if that is US traffic?

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's Google.com in the Traffic Sources stats. I see a smaller amount of Google.ca, some .uk and .au and not much else.

23. ThomasE profile image68
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

As far as I can see, we have not had a recovery at all. If you check out quantcast, US traffic is basically half of what it was before the 'event'.

I fully expect the changes to be rolled out to the rest of the English speaking world in the next few days (normally the big roll outs are for the end of the month).

This doesn't mean that individual users will all be hit, just that the situation has not changed. Some people won't be affected. Some will.

Well, my SE traffic WAS affected and now it seems to be coming back.

That's just a few days, though.  We'll see what the rest of the week brings.

Remember that I do no backlinking other than FB and Twitter, so this is all real Google search.

I'm not talking about you specifically, I am talking about the site as a whole. If you look at http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com you will see what I am talking about.

I am sure there are people like you that are doing as well or even better than they were doing before the algorithm change. As a site, hubpages is not doing that well at the moment.

I would not say "doing well".   Traffic from search engines is almost back to where it was, but earnings have pretty much disappeared here at HP.

Sorry, I didn't see your response. If you are just talking about hubpages, I believe that their new ad placements are not converting well yet, but should return once google chews over the substantial changes to the million or so pages it needs to crawl.

Anyway, from what I can tell Panda II is on its way, google is doing an extremely deep crawl of my sites right at the moment. There is another update coming, imminently, IMHO,

2. SunSeven profile image61
            SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree smile

Noted. What do you disagree with, and why?

2. Pcunix profile image90

Earnings  had disappeared FOR ME.

The HP ads just started, and do seem to be working better so far, but we'll see what we'll see.

2. profile image0

People need to stop thinking about when "we" are going to have a recovery, as in a sitewide one, as this may not ever happen.

Instead that need to concentrate on how "I" or "you" are going to have a recovery. The precedent has already been set with Squidoo, their 2007 Google slap lasted for 2 years.

Recoveries were on an individual lens basis and were relative to the amount of work that users were willing to put into off-site promotion of those individual lenses, in other words backlinks.

If you are sitting waiting for Hubpages as a site to be pinged back up Google then you are likely to be dissapointed. If you want to see your own Hubpages move back up Google, then there is something that you can do about that.

The hubs which have held up best are those which are mature and have mature backlinks, and this is coming from somebody who backlinked the first half of his Hubpages and not his second half. Over the next few months you will see me publishing hardly anything, and probably dissapearing from the site completely, whilst I spend my days religiously backlinking.

That is how Squidoo INDIVIDUALS recovered, and that is also the reason why Squidoo as a whole did not drop as much as Hubpages. Because they have many, many, many, more links leading to their lenses. Hubbers are crap at backlinking, and they are paying the prices as a result.

I'm not talking about black hat SEO, I'm talking about a few articles here and there with backlinks to hubs, a few low quality bookmarks, that is all that was needed to prop up my older hubs.

24. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

My google.com traffic staged a recovery last night, and its dropped back again today. Traffic overall is pretty good this week, but earnings are still way down.

25. DonnaCSmith profile image81
    DonnaCSmithposted 13 years ago

Depressing:o( I have not been one of the BIG earners, but Google adsense is holding steady at ZERO. Hubpages is coming along slowly.

26. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

My traffic is about where it was before the slap with Adsense earnings not much different either.  This is my best month ever with Amazon too!  I don't backlink much, like PC, just on FB and Twitter.  I also didn't have to change any hubs to meet the new standards, so there's that.  Who knows?  smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It just means you are perfect smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say perfect, Susan.  It's true, but I wouldn't say it!  lol

27. Mike Dale profile image61
    Mike Daleposted 13 years ago

My traffic to my rippin 4 hubs is down a bit, and my earnings are way off, compared with earnings from other sources, such as my own sites and youtube.

I can say this: I had my hubs plugged into market Samurai and analyzed them weekly or thereabouts. Most of my hubs, after the initial honeymoon period, settled in on the 2nd or 3rd page of google results, rank 20-40ish. Since the algorithm change, they are ALL off the charts at over 100, which means past page 10. This is US search results.

My own sites, on the other hand, are all, across the board, ranking higher than they were. One went from 80ish to 14. I'm thrilled with that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)