Boycott Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

In the past 2 months I've been creamed here on Hubpages. The first Algo change, Illinois losing Amazon, and now the second roll out of the algo change. The rich people with all the money only want more for themselves. The money they spend does little to NOTHING to help us

It is clear Google is not in it for us- the average person. We are giving them tons of money every time we use their search, I've only been using it because of Hubpages. Much like I do not support the way our Gov't is heading, I now do not support Google. We can hurt them, and make the squirm big time, just don't use it.

Using Bing can help, but I think we need several more search engines, that way we can't have 1 place deciding how much money we get paid. Is there a good alternative to Youtube as well? I want nothing to do with these people. People making Youtube videos are making them so much money and get almost nothing.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right when you say Google has no interest in helping you. On the other hand, it does offer an opportunity to make money.

Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We as a people can create more ways to produce income for ourselves. We don't need Google or our Gov't to do it. Just need bright people to start taking over, that are in it for everyone not just themselves. Revenue share sites are perfect to allow people to create their own content for a living, and it will continue to be the way of the world. They are trying to stop that. The only thing that could possibly mean is they want all the money for themselves.

It is like that everywhere and it is sickening.

Even Google is headed down the wrong path. I have no faith in humanity at this point. There is no question we need to allow everyone to make money on the internet. Cutting it off is just dumb. Millions of jobs can be made from advertizing, instead they take it away. We may not be the best at making hubs and content, but I justed start 6 months ago. It is a lot to learn, especially by yourself. But I feel anyone and everyone should make good money off of this.

There is so much money generated and we are doing all the work, yet they get paid. There has to be bigger and better things out there than Google and it's okay search.

1. Appletreedeals profile image68
          Appletreedealsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mikey, do you know how Google was started? A big venture capital play by the evil rich on Wall street pooled over $7,000,000,000 (that's billion)in a secret fund, then they bribed a few politicians to create legislation that stopped any competition that came along.

Then they had over two dozen meetings in The Star Chamber, (the secret meeting minutes are on Wikileaks if you want to check it out), to decide which sites and vendors they would allow internet searchers to find, and also how much they would allow them to make.

Amen brother, by the way, I think a couple of your hubs made more money than mine this month, so where is my share of your income?

Of course, you are right, how dare Google decide that 1 million pages describing a banana was enough, and they didn't need to rank the 200 word, keyword-stuffed gibberish that was posted on the Internet as the 1,000,001 site. Surely there is someone out there in the universe that would benefit from that last submission.

Now you are worrying me Mikey. Chin up, things will look better tomorrow.

That's why I think our government should have continued subsidizing those buggy whip factories too! It's just too unfair.

Millions of jobs HAVE been created from Internet advertising. And lots of millionaires too. (evil scum)

So Joe Six-pack can't hit it out of the in-field, and you think he should get paid the same as Barry Bonds?

And what about Bill Gates? I do stuff with computers too, why don't I deserve to get as much as he got?

What Google gets paid is directly tied to the efforts of Content publishers. How much money does your content put in Google's pocket?

GA

2. Appletreedeals profile image68

Mikey - you are making this too easy... Why shouldn't people want to make more money for themselves - rich or poor? Why do you have a problem with that?

That is such baloney! Your comment is so wrong you should have a 2-week keyboard time-out. Of course Google is in it for us, look at all the excellent tools and FREE services they provide to help webmasters and publishers get better performance from our efforts. Again, given to us for FREE! Because THEY KNOW that the more successful we are, the more successful they will be.

What does Hubpages have to do with you using Google search? Your actions should be speaking louder than your words.

ahhh.... of course, it's a government/Google conspiracy.

So you closed your adsense account, and refuse to click on any Google sponsored links - of any kind, right?

I don't think there is a "we" here Mikey, hopefully most folks can still smell.

another easy one, if you think you deserve to be paid more, what's stopping you from quitting and going to work where they will pay you what you think you are worth? I know, I know, it is a radical concept, but if you lead the way maybe it could happen

You are right! What the hell is wrong with those people. Can't they see they deserve more of everybody's money. How dare a business think they can just pay what they structure their business model around - just so they can make a profit! Evil stuff this capitalism.

Who cares if they make a profit or not as long as they give of an equal share.

GA

3. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I stopped using Google search when the slap happened.  I am using Bing.  I didn't realize that if the millions of people who got hit stopped using the Google search, that could hurt them.  Good to know we can do something, not matter how small and affect if may have!

2. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

It hasn't escaped my notice that I get much better traffic from Bing and Yahoo. I actually read an article today that says while Google's usershare slowly falls, Bing's slowly rises. We'll see what happens in a few years.

Yeah I saw that too. I would like to see Google take a huge hit as early as tomorrow. All it takes is 1 message to get around Facebook.

3. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Bing and Yahoo have merged forces to make Google go down.  There is No love loss between Bing (Microsoft) and Google.  I personally hope Yahoo and Bing overtake Google driving them out of business.  Google places Their own companies high on their search list, Google owns over 65% of search content in the U.S. alone. Google does Nothing unless big money is involved.  Now Google intends to stream movies and TV programs, using youtube.

Of course a business should be totally self-interest driven. Why else have a business if not to make a profit, and do things to ensure and improve that profit?

Would YOU start a business just to give your money to other people? Or to make a profit for your self?

I get the impression you and Mikey are Obama fans.

GA

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Google boycotted me along time ago

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I never could stand Barney's eyes! smile

6. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Are we just a drop in the bucket of search engine users?

How does Bing view HubPages, I wonder?

1. shabarigirish profile image60
      shabarigirishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are 205,994 hubbers in this community, definitely if everyone collectively stops using Google search engine, it gives a blow to them.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image70
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And how much of a blow would that be to HP members who have commercial blogs or websites with poor rankings in Yahoo/Bing?

1. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think what Mikey is trying to say is simple, why should Google get to decide what good content is, by penalising whole writing communities they are generalising what is published there and good publishers are getting caught up in the mix

1. Peter Hoggan profile image70
            Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They decide because it's their search engine, a business decision based on how to best monetize their site. Those decisions have made publishing on HubPages at this time a wasted effort with little or no chance of realising a direct financial return. I hope the good old day will return. However, for the time being I think that building blogs where I can control content quality would be a far better solution.

Although Google is still the place to be found, signs are this might not be the case for much longer. So it's no longer a simple case of writing an article and posting it on HP, writing guest posts on authoritative blogs, and developing your own sites or blogs are likely to become more effective in the long term.

However, the point I was making is that change is required if you want to succeed. Nothing we can say as publisher’s matters, it’s the actions of the searcher that matters. So if you think Yahoo/Bing is going to be the top search engine in 2012 make sure you are working towards a good presence there while maintaining your rankings in Google instead of boycotting them - i.e. take positive steps not negative ones.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
              PaulGoodman67posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is good advice, methinks, Peter.

7. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

Hubbers alone are not going to decide the outcome for Google. But if other searchers besides us notice that Bing (and Yahoo is now powered by Bing) gets them better results, then collectively we will all shift away from Google. This will happen naturally, no boycott required.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/224931/b … _lead.html

1. Kidgas profile image63
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very true.  If it is going to happen, it is because a better product exists in the marketplace.

8. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 13 years ago

Does that mean you're cancelling your Google Adsense account too?  ;-)

Google is the hand that feeds aswell as takes away.

But I agree that they are too powerful.

Might as well, I haven't made much off of it since the Algo change.

We let them feed us when we can do it on our own, we have to battle them. Gotta stop taking crap from our Gov't, Google, and rich people in general. All we do is give them our money and they give us little in return. I'm just about up to here with it.

I'm not mad they did the Algo change, btw they can do what they want. I'm just mad. After watching the documentary "Inside Job" which explains in detail the 2008 crash. It really just makes you sick, its not just Google like I said. It is rich people, the Gov't, everyone the mentality everyone has sucks. We could be so much better off right now.

Where do you get that money you give them? Do you earn it from work you do in exchange for monetary compensation, - in other words, - A JOB.

Who provided you with that job? A bum that couldn't ante-up for a $2 burger, or some evil rich scum that owns a for-profit business?

I knew it! It's great to find someone else that understands there was a guy with a rifle on the grassy knoll.

Yep, we could be soaring our way to Utopia, like the USSR is, (oops, forgot they folded), well then, we could be as nationally wealthy as the people of Communist China, (oops, guess $2 a day isn't really enough for my family to eat on), well no worries, we could all share and share alike with our neighbors like N. Korea does.

All we need is a Dear Leader to show us the way.

GA

9. Peter Hoggan profile image70
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

For every website that loses from the latest round of Google updates another wins. Instead of changing search engines another option might be to figure out what the winners are actually doing. I make a living online, but only a very small part of that comes from Yahoo/Bing (I actually make more money from referrals via HP than I do from Yahoo/Bing). Talk of boycotts is in my mind pointless, if you want to make money online you need to be where your customers are and that is still pretty much equates to ranking well on Google.

I have rankings on Yahoo/Bing that are pretty much equal to those on Google, but they just don't generate enough traffic or sales to be even remotely concerned about.

Don't take what Google are doing personally, instead take the time to work out what has happened and adapt.

10. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I'm thinking of starting a new website and using Adbrite ads, anyone have any opinion on them?

11. Mikeydoes profile image43

I'm still using Google to pay me..

More people need to get off of Google, no matter what. We can't let one company decide what is best.

1. andromida profile image57
      andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that.

12. Mikeydoes profile image43

Dude I can't even read what you have to say. It is so pointless and  doesn't even reflect my points or views. Certainly glad you wasted your time breaking up my quotes and taking them out of context.

Google does give us free things. Search is free. Do you understand how many other people can do what Google does, and do you know that they don't need to work for Google to make a difference.

When you said there is a government conspiracy, I knew you weren't worth my time. Go somewhere, you obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

13. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I would only boycott Google if I thought they were doing something malicious or unfair.  They are looking after their bottom line for their shareholders. The fact that it makes life harder for me is my problem, not theirs.

I still run adsense on a range of sites including free google-owned blogspot blogs, and it still earns.  I still find their search engine, esp. Google scholar, to be the best for my purposes.

Even if I stopped using all of this today, they have allowed me to earn thousands of dollars with minimal effort during a time in my life when i really needed the money.  So I would still feel okay about them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)