jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Amazon advertising - question about weird pricing

1. pinkydoo profile image80
    pinkydooposted 5 years ago

I don't understand why some of the prices of Amazon products I choose for my hubs are so weird....like pajama pants listed for 80 dollars, or a book listed for one dollar?  Can someone please explain the Amazon pricing system...and wouldn't these weird prices scare off potential customers? (At least the strangely HIGH prices, anyway)!

1. I am DB Cooper profile image66
      I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm guessing those are prices from third party sellers on Amazon. Many of them use algorithms for their pricing. For instance, the price of pajamas might the price another seller has them at plus 35%. Things get really weird when two sellers of the same item are both using different algorithms for the pricing of that item. Let's seller A has their price set at seller B's price plus 15%. Seller B has their price set at seller A's price minus 2%. Each time the algorithms check the price they'll make a price adjustment, and the price will go higher and higher until a human intervenes, or until the algorithm reaches a predetermined limit.

There was a story recently where this happened, and a textbook on Amazon from a third party seller ended up with a price tag of $23,000,000. Oddly enough, there were no buyers at that price.

2. pinkydoo profile image80
      pinkydooposted 5 years ago in reply to this

thanks...if I see a weird price, I just don't include that item.....but it's a shame, because sometimes It's an item I really want to include!

2. mdlawyer profile image60
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

Then we would feel helpless.