What is the dumbest thing you have spoken or heard someone else say?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

As a postal truck driver I was driving down the street with a
    5-ton truck, full of mail heading for the sorting plant. I looked in my mirrors and noticed smoke rising up over top my truck, so I pulled over to the curb. Sure enough the truck was on fire. I grabbed my fire extinguisher and rushed to the back of the truck. Carefully slowly I opened raised the back door. Bot the mail and the truck itself were aflame. I climbed aboard and used my extinguisher to try to save the mail with little success. As I was hopping down a cop pulled up behind me and the cop approached me saying "Ya Got a fire eh, would you lie a flare?"  I immediately responded with a quick but silly response. "No thanks, I think it's burning pretty good without any help."

The cop phoned my office for me and reported the truck on fire and within 5 minutes, my supervisor shows up. The first question out of his mouth was: "Why would you take out a truck that you knew would catch fire?" to which I replied, that: "I was looking for a way to make my day more exciting." Like how could I possibly know in advance that a truck was going to catch fire.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are smokin' hot!

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sometimes my witty mind works so fast, my mouth is not even aware of what is being said.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

my mother says lots of daft things.  One I found particularly funny is:  'chocolate is one hundred percent fat!'

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Oh, my! Dumbest thing I have ever said....it was a Huge doozy!

I was at a funeral for my friend's father. I was talking with this niece and her daughters when her ex-husband walked up. I had been friends with them over the years. I had not seen him since the divorce.

I knew he had left her for another woman, but...not my business, I would treat them the same with my friendship.

Back to the funeral.

While we all were talking, a small child (maybe 4 years old?) walked up and was asking Daddy for something. The child left and he said that is my son.

I don't know WHY I said it, maybe still having thoughts from a remark just made to the ex-wife of his, but for some Dumb reason my next words were..."I'm sorry!!!"

OMG...I was so embarrassed. Felt so dumb!
    I was Not sorry he had a son. Just couldn't believe those words came out of my mouth and they truthfully were not directed at the fact he had a son.

Lesson: be careful what you say when you are talking to more than One person at a time!!!!!

1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
      Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is true roll on the floor laughing material!  That's hilarious!

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I pretty much couldn't even come up with any "dumbest thing" someone else has said to me, because I'd had to scour an Internet's worth and enclopedia's worth or memories of dumb things people say.

As for me saying dumb things - I've done it from time to time I guess, but I mostly specialize in DOING dumb things  smile and I REALLY specialize is doing dumb things that occur to me might be risky/dumb but that I go ahead and do anyway.

Here's my specialty in doing dumb things:  I'll do something like take my wallet to the kitchen so I can do something like read a tiny customer-service phone number on a bank card.  The stove's range hood light is great for that kind of thing.  So, I'll do something like lay the wallet on the top of the stove and I'll even think, "Don't lay the wallet down.  You're going out.  You may forget it."  Then I'll tell myself, "Oh, go ahead.  Just make sure you don't forget it."   THEN, I'll go ahead and do whatever I reminded myself not to do because I KNEW what could happen.  roll  It's as if I think that having it "occur to me" what might happen is enough.  roll  You can guess how brilliant it feels to do something like get miles away to the store and discover the wallet and bank card were left on top of the stove (or the keys or the cell phone or the umbrella etc. etc.   smile  )

My most recent dumb thing involves a different kind of toilet disinfectant that hangs over the edge of the bowl, that made me wonder if that kind of "hook" might fall off and end up down the toilet, and that resulted in my deciding "it must be OK if the package says it's OK.  Did I remember to notice whether the thing was there when I cleaned?  Nope.  It wasn't something I'm used to having to think about.  Let's just say that I'm telling myself the $100 plumber visit was well worth it.   roll

4. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

"Yes, I will marry you, Greek One"

hahahahaha... got her good on that one!

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Dumbest thing I've ever heard someone say was at a funeral. We were standing by the casket and someone comments that the dead guy looked good. I thought it was a joke and I laughed. It didn't go over well.  They were serious.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ouch!

6. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 12 years ago

Ever call Domino's pizza and try to order a pizza to be delivered to your home?  Just the other night I called the Dominos nearest my home.  Same one I have called over the last few years.  They tell me that they don't deliver in my area anymore and gave me a number for another one of their pizza places.  Long story short, I called both back and forth for over 40 minutes.  After the first 3 calls it became a neat little challenge to see which Dominos was going to actually deliver.  In the end the first place I called finally realized I was on their grid and said they would deliver a pizza to me, took my order (for the 4th time!) and gave me a total cost.  I told them I only had a twenty dollar bill so please bring change.  The guy on the other end of the phone said "okay, sure," and in his next breath asked, "are you paying with a credit card or cash?"  Now THAT was really dumb!!  40 minutes on the phone and 35 minutes waiting for the pizza to reach my door!  I got a the pizza for ten bucks, but the next day saw an advertisement on tv for $7.99!!  Go figure!!

7. allstayathome profile image70
    allstayathomeposted 12 years ago

The dumbest thing I have heard recently is that the world was going to end May 21, 2011.

8. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

"What do you cook low and slow"

9. jacqui2011 profile image81
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I remember once in high school (many years ago!!) my teacher got her words mixed up when she was shouting at a group of us for talking. I laughed out loud and she told me to "wipe the smile" off my face. I've never really managed to do this, maybe it was the type of cloth I was using! Lol.

10. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 12 years ago

A friend of mine once told me about the time his brother-in-law was using two garden hoses to fill up his swimming pool, in the belief that it would fill up more evenly if you use a hose at either end (yes, it was water).  I met this guy a number of times, and it wouldn't surprise me that he would actually believe such a concept.

True story.

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I don't need to look past this one.

"God definitely doesn't hate amputees. I know several people personally who've seen legs and arms grow out. One man actually held a child's feet out and heard cracking and popping as the shorter foot grew out to the same length as the other. God does miracles to prove His love and power."

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly what the Fulangong or whatever they are called are promoting here in China, then claiming persecution because they are being shut down !

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can understand a Government wanting to shut down people with beliefs as bizarre as that! Wow! smile

1. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they believe it - I think they are basic con-merchants - stupid thing is they get support from stupid groups outside China, making it harder for rational religions to operate, if that is not a contradiction of terms.

12. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 12 years ago

when I stopped and asked someone on the street for direction, they looked confused and said...."Lady, I don't think you can get there from here."

13. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

(at the drive through window)

"....oh by the way, can I have that to go?"  hmm

14. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

the situation:  at work, a colleagues telephone is broken and she has forgotten her password to access her voicemail.  Three days have gone by, and IT has not solved her problem.

She calls downstairs and tells them that she submitted her issue, been issued a ticket and still hasn't heard back.

Voice on the other line:  Ma'am, according to the history of the file on the computer system, we called you two days ago and left a voicemail message for you with your new password which will reactivate your phone. 

hmm  duh!

15. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 12 years ago

I was working at Taco Bell, and we had about 40 or more people in at lunch rush.  My customer only ordered a coffee, and I asked him if he wanted hot sauce with that?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dumbest thing said to me

The only thing wrong with you, is you did not give it all up for Jesus

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And ... only Jesus gave you that gift, I hear that most often

....like I woke one day and was poof!!! Multi talented, who the hell needs to work at it,

2. Chaotic Chica profile image60

ddsurfsca, at least they could not accuse you of not pushing the product!  Clearly you had said that so many times that it was natural!

More than once I have answered my home phone with the company greeting!

16. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

I could probably write a book filled with dumb things I have said or have been said to me!

"stop putting toys in your brother's butt" {son stuffing baby brother's diaper with toys}

'I need to drink my English' {spoken in high school to my best friend as we were both needing a drink and studying for an English test}

'You ride that thing?' {spoken by an idiot who watched me ride into the parking lot on my bike-not as a passenger, not with a passenger}

there's more but I'm busy so I can't think straight...

17. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Oooo, I've got one.  I was a party once and the tv was on.  It was some show about dinosaurs roaming the earth.  A friend of my husband's said, "Can you believe people really think that they existed?  That shit's just all made up."  Hmmm, maybe the bones were a clue????

1. Chaotic Chica profile image60

He is not the only person with this mindset.  I {sadly} know several people who ignore the skeletons and fossils and believe that all the dinosaurs hype is made up.

18. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

"Are you reading that paper you are sitting on?" - Yeah I got eyes in my butt!

"Is anyone sitting there?" - pointing to an empty chair. They must be invisible.

The best, my granny, God rest her soul, once phoned the police to complain about roudy teenagers hanging about outside her door, and when the police asked for her address, she declined to tell them where she lived.

"Name and address, madam?" "I'd rather not say!"

19. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

My girlfriend is rather sarcastic and is prone to smart comebacks.  When she was on her first sea assignment they stopped in Greece and she was talking to her shipmates about the outdoor cafes and the signs.  One wondered aloud what they meant.  Without thinking my girlfriend pops off "I don't know, it's all Greek to me."
    It took her a minute to realize what the others were laughing about.

20. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I used to walk my friend's dogs, and whenever people would ask me where I had been, I always used to say that I had been 'dogging.'  I didn't understand why people would laugh or give me a funny look.  Only after saying this many times, did someone explain that dogging does not mean walking the dog, and I felt rather stupid.  Now I just say that I have been taking the dogs for a walk.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. Beth100 profile image68
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

21. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

As a friend of mine and I walked down Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach, SC...

"If I had a swing like that in my backyard, I wouldn't get off of it all day long!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)