Bring Back HubKarma!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. iamsergell profile image59
    iamsergellposted 12 years ago

I think HubKarma is useful. It shows your progress here in HP though. I want HubKarma to be back please! :C

1. hotwebideas profile image62
      hotwebideasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't even notice that they took HubKarma away. I just saw it the other day.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's gone?  Woohoo! Good riddance!

HubKarma was a bad idea, especially for newbies like you, because newbies got carried away and used it far too much.  Too many links in your Hub are a bad thing.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Well put, Marisa! smile

2. hotwebideas profile image62

Marisa, I didn't even pay attention to HubKarma, so oldies like you have nothing to worry about wink

3. lisabeaman profile image68
        lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was a newbie, I was very, very guilty of getting carried away with over-linking. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. Now I know better! One of these days, I'll go back to those old hubs and get rid of those extra links!

3. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hubkarma?
      Eissssh!!!

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Just noticed it gone!!! Yeah...it never worked to help with hubs making money or ranking. Never liked it! I never had it change for the positive no matter how much I did, so I only ignored it.
    Bye-bye HubKarma.

iamsergellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well, at least it would help the newbies here in HP like me by linking it to other hubbers' page.

2. Ms Dee profile image86
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I, too, am glad it is gone! It did not seem to reflect that I really do link to other hubs from every hub of mine.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I'm not a fan of it either. It's good to support other hubbers, but all of those blue links in a hub are distracting and annoying.
    I hope it stays gone, as I have said in another comment somewhere.  It is another unneeded statistic.

well, at least it would help the newbies here in HP like me.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Good riddance to it!  Bad Karma was more like it!  smile

it isn't.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you make that more specific?
        What isn't what?

HubKarma shoudn't be deleted here in HP.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
            Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope you realize that when you are talking to someone with a virtually perpetual score of one hundred (not me - Rochelle Frank) that it's seriously in your best interest to think about what they are saying, as they don't have a perfect score for no reason.

Actually, I'm not sure that is true. I don't know the reason, myself. You are giving me too much respect, but I am just expressing a personal opinion.
              I personally don't like to read hubs with link after link highlighted.
              Feel free to interlink as much as you want.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what he said! I couldn't ever see the point of it in the first place except as a distracting gimmick. Half the time, there were no corresponding hubs to link to, or the "keywords" to link made no sense...i.e. "going to" or some similar silliness...while obvious words to link (like place names and such) were totally ignored.  Again, GOOD RIDDANCE!

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With you on that one!

Not to mention the fact that if you linked to loads of other hubs and they were subsequently deleted, then you were left with a corresponding number of broken links to clean up. I'm glad I never paid much attention to Hub Karma.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
          Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd written a Hub a while ago on how to use the suggest links tool to fight writer's block, a kind of tongue-in-cheek look at a ridiculous feature. I made it a point to let every word or phrase the tool found get a link. As so many Hubbers have now left, taking their Hubs with them, this Hub of mine has required the most maintenance because of taking out dead links.

BTW, when this feature was first implemented, the team did say that HubKarma would have a minor/small/some impact on Hubber profile score. Using that tool for that one Hub of mine made me feel like a suckkkup. :p

Good riddance to HubKarma!

5. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

hubkarma?

guess I shouldn't miss it

hubkarma tracks hubbers progress.

How? I have never seen that suggestion.
        It just tells how many hubbers you have linked to. It doesn't affect income, and doesn't affect scores.
        My hubkarma used to be higher before I stopped excessive linking... My hubscore is now higher.
        I'm not saying that it is a direct result, but just that the number is not important.
        There are many ways to support fellow hubbers, by commenting, by adding meaningful fan mail, and by interacting on forums.

If I really want to add a link to another hubber's page (and I have done this) I put it in a separate text box and tell readers why I am linking it. (This may actually have some karmic value.)

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I was so stupid by putting links to other folk's hubs everywhere in my hubs.  Yeah sure, maybe it was a nice thing to do - but it's a horrible thing to do for your income.  I can share your hubs on who knows how many possible sites that I go to?  That would be better than having a distraction from my hub inside my hub.

well, i haven't come to the income side of the HP and HubKarma just helps to improve my hubpage then by linking them to other hubbers page.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can still link to other hubbers in your hubs without the hubkarma. Just be sure to link to quality hubs that are relevant and add more information with your hub.
        The Hubkarma does not help in reality for one to progress in Hubpages. Writing, reading and asking questions in the forums would be more helpful.
        You will find there are many that are willing to help "newbies" to do well.

2. hotwebideas profile image62

Marisa, I disagree with you on that. This is not me as a newbie talking. This is me as someone in the web field for 15 years talking.  It is a great strategy to link to others' hubs because it raises your Google and Yahoo rankings and that will bring more income.

I am not worried about hubkarma, but I have gotten faster income by linking to other hubs because those hubbers link back and it has raised my stats and my earnings more quickly.

And you should not worry about your hub being disrupted just because you link to someone else's hub. If people think your hub is valuable enough to read, they will be back regardless.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Why do you think they link back?  Do you tell them you've linked to them? 

The problem with HubKarma was that newbies would overdo it.  There's nothing more likely to p($$ of a reader than a Hub peppered with blue hyperlinks as if it had the measles.  I'm not joking - that's what many of them do.

Shame on them! lol There should be a new HubPages Trophy titled "Newbie Has Overlinked To Other Hubs 10,000 Times" tongue

Exactly, and that's why I'm so glad to see the end of HubKarma!

MW, The more I talk to you on these forums, the less of a newbie I become.

In my hubs, I will say that most of them have a table of contents that link to other sections of the same hub and I believe people like that, because they can shop the sections what they want.

What's your opinion on that?

Great idea - I confess I've always been too lazy to do it!

7. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

There's other ways to improve your hubs.  I never once paid attention to HubKarma, and personally, never cared to. 

For newer people, there's a ton of resources to find out how your doing.

8. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

It never did mean much... and yes, bye, bye hubkarma.. smile

9. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Also if you are going to link to other hubbers hubs do it in a links capsule and add your referral tracker!

10. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

If you go to one of your hubs and click the  'suggest links' a box will pop up for those who still want to see hubkarma. So, it's still there for those who like it, it's just not so obvious. This is a good idea. As has been said, too many people were giving it too much importance and adding too many links.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh is it still there???..I never got around to finding it.. thanks, now I know where to look for ..not that I care to..but the information has value in itself and may help people who are still interested in Hubkarma

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)