jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Has writing and publishing helped you personally or professionally?

1. NGRIA Bassett profile image59
    NGRIA Bassettposted 6 years ago

My writing experience on this medium has  brought personal and professional growth. What has been your experience?

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The same. smile I am still learning how to write after 2 years here, so for me it has been an excellent platform, with many friends here keen and willing to assist. smile

NGRIA Bassettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Ernestshub,
        It has certainly been a platform for taking the risk of written self expression in a relatively safe and nurturing environment.

2. wheelinallover profile image79
      wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have learned more here on hub pages in the past five months than I had in a life time including college courses in creative writing. There is still a long way to go but challenges and feedback from other writers have given me what I felt was lacking. The most important thing for a writer to have is self confidence. This is what has been gained from writing and publishing here.

I am also a businessman. What I have learned here has helped me in business also. What used to take hours to write I can now do in fifteen minutes. My ad copy reads better and is taking less time to write also. This messes with writing hubs though because in an ad, less works better than more. In everything I write for hubs, if you took out the filler, wouldn't be long enough to publish. LOL It works the same way though, in a hub you want to keep the readers attention and that is what the filler is for.

I also don't think quite as backward as I used to even though I no longer can speak the languages of my youth. Nine years of memory loss helped my English. It was the only language used in my retraining. Now that my memory has returned my thinking still goes back to the way sentences are put together in those languages. This had given me a tendency to want to write sentences in a way which is considered backward in English. This is still something I struggle with but not as much as a few months ago.

You have an amazing story and Hubpages has been a part of your journey. Thanks for sharing.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

I have always had a talent for writing, but until I joined HubPages, I had not felt like it meant much. I have grown in my writing skills and acquired more knowledge. My experience here has even led to a possible book deal. Where it not for HubPages, this may not have happened. wink

Congratulations Luis on your talent for writing and a book deal! That's awesome. I will look out for your book and other publications.

3. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago

It has. Especially in the professional arena. I am writing a "how to" series that addresses the very fact that the better a writer you are, the further in life you can go. I have a 10 year old daughter and I profess to her almost daily that one of the single most important things she can master, is knowing how to write and how to write well. I am very fortunate that at 10, she already loves to write - and quite well-, loves to read, and is working on publishing her very first book. *sigh, I'm so proud smile

Awe!! That is fantastic! Great job and a wonderful legacy of writing.

working