Uh oh...too much tweaking resulted in dropped hub score! Please help?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Theresa_Kennedy profile image78
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years ago

Greetings fellow hubbers! My hub about chronic pain used to have a nice score in the 80's and since tweaking it a few weeks ago, the score is stuck in the 70's. I think it was over-tweaked and now I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. Please, I humbly ask for your opinions to give it the "Extreme Hub Makeover".

Should I use different keywords? Are there too many amazon products? What have I done wrong?

All opinions- whether you are new or experienced- are welcome! If you have a hub with helpful tips, feel free to direct me there.

Here is the link: http://theresakennedy.hubpages.com/hub/ … ronic-Pain

Thanks in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Theresa

1. kschang profile image88
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't fret too much over the score. it goes up and down on its own. Tweak once a week and don't over do it. Cycle is about once per week.

Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are absolutely right! After I posted my plea for help, a few hubbers stopped by and it's been in the 80's since. I feel silly for posting my concern...although I AM grateful for the handful of people who took the time to check it out.

2. Peter Owen profile image60
        Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you expand on what Tweaking is and why you do it?

Tweaking is my way of making my hubs better by using things that I've learned. I do a lot of research into improving my writing and especially using this platform. There is SO much to learn!

I have tweaked a few titles, subtitles based on keyword research as I learn...I had no knowledge when I wrote the first draft. And I have tweaked my capsules as I become more proficient at using them. I've tweaked visual appeal as well as the way it reads....and so on.

1. Peter Owen profile image60
            Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can agree on tweaking the body, but doesn't changing the title negate any outside SEO that you have already done?

Yes, it's risky to change a title, and the web address title doesn't change. Actually, I don't know anyone who would advise changing the title of a published hub. So it's good that you brought it up, in case a new person was thinking of doing the same.

Sometimes I wish my learning could come all at once instead of in little bits and pieces. There is so much I would do differently if I were to begin again now. Alas, we learn and just keep moving forward.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Did anything happen tot he actual traffic or CPM?  If not, it really doesn't matter what the score is.

3. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Wow, this is a really well-written and well-thought out hub! I do have a few pointers... not sure if they'll help your hub score, but may help your traffic (which will, in turn help your hub score.)

Do you have a long-tail keyword? It would be GREAT to rank for the term "chronic pain" but it's one of those keywords I would consider to be out of my reach.

HubPages has some great guides on finding the right keywords. Here are a few:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/google-keyword-tool
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/long … ch-traffic

A side point, and this is VERY important!
    Your title is "Finding Relief from Chronic Pain" and throughout the article you say "I'm not a medical professional!"

It kind of sounds like you're saying, "I don't have any kids of my own so these babysitting tips are just coming from the mouth of someone who has babysat their whole life -- but again, not a parent, so don't take my word for it!"

I read your article, you've DEALT with this stuff... you've BEEN there. Show more confidence in your writing!

Finding Relief from Chronic pain sounds like you're still searching for it. Yeah, there's time where you just can't escape it, but it sounds like you've found some great ways to deal. How about:

How to Cope With Chronic Pain
    or
    How to Find Relief With Chronic Pain

You've been there, you have the right to act like you know what you're talking about because, well, it's obvious you know what you're talking about! There are a number of areas of your hubs where you ask your reader to believe you or ask them to continue reading. For example, "Allow me to explain why..."
    Just explain why! You're a great writer and I'm already hooked!

Perhaps the lowered HubScore is from all the "big words" you use. I mean, I know what they mean sorta... (what's a reuptake inhibitor?)

I know there are a lot of scripts that can "read" an article and kind of give it a grade level of reading. If it's above a certain level, it can hurt scores since the average person is way dumber than you. I don't know if HubPages does this, but it's something to keep in mind.

There's really no way to fix this because your hub is already giant -- if you went into explaining what each thing meant, in an easy-to-digest way, you'd have some sort of book on your hands.

What you COULD do, if you're wanting to do a massive overhaul is look at your subheadings -- try to pull keywords out of each one a make a hub about it describing each subheading in depth. For example:

You have this subheading:
    Chronic Pain Syndrome
    Then here you describe a bit about chronic pain syndrome. Make this a hub in its own right! Something like "What Is Chronic Pain Syndrome" Then you have that keyword "chronic pain syndrome" for that hub! (It receives 4400 searches per month.) Then you could create another hub: "How Vitamin D helps with chronic pain" (I didn't look up a keyword for this one, so you'll want to do the research on it.) One on "How exercise can help you deal with pain" etc... you can seriously turn this hub into 5 or 6 hubs if you wanted -- dominating different keywords for each one. This will allow you to explain more what each thing means in an easy-to-understand way for dummies like me tongue

Phew! I hope that helps! Following you now on HubPages, you're a great writer! Looking forward to reading more! tongue

Why you should write multiple hubs, vs one:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/keyword-tree
    ^^^^Check this bad boy out^^^^

And, of course, keyword research:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/google-keyword-tool

Melbel, thank you SO MUCH for your kind criticisms, I LOVE it!!!! You have made some excellent points and yes it helps a lot- expansion hubs, less terminology, keyword usage, and CONFIDENCE- I appreciate your keen eye and will capitalize on all of your suggestions as time permits (soon too!). I have just now begun my research about long-tail keywords, since that was a new term for me! Again, thank you so very much! You are a treasure smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)