jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Can you relax on command?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image86
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Let's say that you are getting a flu shot and your muscles are all tense because you don't like needles.  And the nurse tells you to relax because it will hurt less if you relax.  Are you be able to make yourself relax?   Has anyone mastered the art of relaxing on command?

1. shop online fast profile image60
      shop online fastposted 5 years ago in reply to this

it depends on where you are, and your fears associated with the place. for example, i am always able to relax when i'm at home and taking my blood pressure reading.  but, the moment i go to the doctor, my heart takes off like a race horse around the track.  it doesn't matter how hard i try, i just haven't been able to get a normal blood pressure reading while at the doctor.  commanding your body to relax takes practice.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't say that I've mastered it, but can do it. wink

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I can do it. But, having just had my flu shot; I can tell you relaxing doesn't help. It still hurts the next day.

4. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I have had a lot more trouble with this in the past than I have now.  In fact, I wrote a Hub sharing what I have learned.  It's not 100% foolproof, but there are some tips that may be helpful.