I Want to Get More Traffic for My Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 12 years ago

I have been a member of HubPages for seven months. I have read hubbers with less membership who have more than 1,200 followers. How is that possible? And how can I attract more followers to my "little world" in HubPages?

1. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I posted this on my blog almost a year ago, and it's still true:

http://greekgeek.mythphile.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/what-gets-traffic.jpg

I think I need to repost it with a hub around it. I can never find the danged graphic when I need it. smile

To be a little more specific: people want:
      -- Solutions to problems
      -- Answers to questions
      -- More stuff to love about something that they love
      -- More information about something they've just heard about
      -- Where to find X
      -- Whether Y is worth buying
      -- Entertainment
      -- To learn about fascinating, scary or bizarre things (hence, I suspect, the neverending popularity of celebrities)

Consider what parts of your own passions and areas of expertise can provide one or more of those things.

kenneth averyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greeky . . .fantastic info! Thanks and bless YOU!

1. Greekgeek profile image78
          Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gracious ... bless YOU!

I just looked at your hubs, and I feel like a little kid telling a professional athlete how to throw the ball. You've got a lot more experience and knowledge of the world than I do. It's just a question of how to get people to find it, eh?

The Achilles' heel of the web: with search engines like Google, people only find what they're specifically looking for. Being found because you've got something worth saying is much harder. Search engines can't help you there. You have to build up a following of readers who like your words so much they share and recommend them. That's social media, requiring a mix of psychology, marketing, self-promotion, and blind luck.

I haven't much skill at all in any of that. Good luck!

kenneth averyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello, Greek . . .and a warm Thank YOU for the advice. I will follow your advice and just try to alter my topics and text to suit the general audiences. That might be worth doing. And again, thanks so much. KA

1. barryrutherford profile image74
              barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could try a few things like opening a Twitter Account and promting you  Hubs there also commenting and reading  others hubs is useful networking !

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that that is all outstanding advice -but I think if you want more followers - you have to leave more thought out comments on new person's hubs - lots of folks will hit your "follow" thing if you leave them a well thought out and pleasant comment.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image58
      Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hub fan base will help your hub score but it's not going to help your earnings directly (hubbers don't click ads). What you really want is traffic off hubpages (they do click ads).

A technique I use for traffic influx (used to rather because my hubpages account seems to do it with no help now @ 400+ hubs/1k fans) is:

Write 1 eza article on Ezinearticles.com and put your hubpages page in the resource box (backlink).

Let it marinate for 6  months to jumpstart your hub.

Take it down, turn it into a hub (let it stay off eza for a few days to deindex it so you do't get flagged for dupe content on hp)...

Move to the next. I even created an eza for the article that became a hub FROM eza and keep doing that. You'll grow your hubs (you should also write a hub a day anyway), grow their traffic, and by virtue of more hubs come more fans due to hubtivity syndication.

Another way to gain a great number of fans is to go out and become other's fans. By the law of reciprocation (if you have enough and enough quality hubs to intrest them so only add people iwth like intrests in hub writing topics) they will likely add you. To assure this (to some degree) don't forget to 1. flag them as a good writer etc... and leave a meaningful comment about one of their hubs (so read at least one of their hubs). People like people who like them, and this is the best way to "make freinds/fans/followers). Once your fan count goes up naturally (it's like a domino effect), more people they've found as fans will see you based on your comments to their hub (oh yea also leave a comment on the hub you read and flag them as well, it's flattering and raises their hub score-

Good Luck!

2. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Hubpages followers are not going to bring you in long term traffic. Yes you will likely obtain a short term spike in views although that is assuming your followerd actually read your hubs.

Post to facebook, twitter and any social media you have
    Think about how your hubs might be located when people search
    Publicise your hubs elsewhere
    Get your links on other relevant sites
    And aim to do this continuously

Basically do everything you can to consider long term traffic sources

1. Jerrico Usher profile image58

This is true CyclingFitness, however don't underestimate how fans can syndicate your hubs in hubtivity- the hidden internal traffic source that doesn't just bring internal hub authors traffic, it actually brings in the funneled traffic. Followers are not just topically cool, they actually have a mechanism in the algorythm that funnels traffic internally (of 30 million hits that could be substantial). Think about how hubtivity works- it shows you your fans and their comments in the feed. If you leave a comment on one of THEIR (your fans) fans posts that the fan you have posted a comment to- this posts your commnet to both hubtivity feeds, this means more people see your comment and if they click your image they see your profile and eventually your hubs.

One comment left on a fans hub then later to one of their fans comments, then on and one- creates a rabbit hole to some serious syndication... too many people take the fan "feature" for granted but simply don't know how it works in the syndication area... it's powerful!

3. successfulblogger profile image59
    successfulbloggerposted 12 years ago

I am following you now. You will get more followers they will come little by little.

4. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Does number of followers really make a difference tho?

1. Jerrico Usher profile image58

actually- it does. Beyond syndication it is also an element in the hub score- this I assume is based on it's power to syndicate your hubs. topically, it's just a "people like my work" thing but there is a deeper mechanism at work. I've leveraged fans to generate millions of hits of organic (from search engines but within the site funneled traffic through Hubtivity syndication) traffic to my hubs and haven't had to create a backlink  in years (off page SEO)...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)