How can I get more traffic/views to my Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

I know that this is the most asked question here, but I'd still really appreciate it if anybody answered.

I've been on Hubpages for about 6 months now, and I've just published my 7th Hub, and I'm starting to write a few more. As of right now, I have 239 total views, and each Hub has roughly 36 views. I haven't applied for Google Adsense or Amazon yet, since I don't think I have enough Hubs published yet (I'll apply after I've published 10 to 12)

I have a Twitter account that I use to create backlinks, but I don't know how strong they are exactly.

What else can I do to get more readers?

Thank you, and happy holidays!

1. profile image0
      jamesmdougherty2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This guy is on HubPages and his article is very good http://sunseven.hubpages.com/hub/How_To … _Your_Site

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

The most effective thing I've ever done to get readers was publish more Hubs.  A Hub takes about three years to reach its peak of traffic, according to admin.

1. drspaniel profile image84
      drspanielposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that Hubs only really start getting traffic after 3 years of being published, or do you mean that your Hubs will decline with traffic after 3 years? Plus most of my hubs only have a Hubscore of 60-80. My best Hub only got 200 views after a month, would you consider this good or bad?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't answer for Relache - but I've personally had hubs that I'd published, and then practically forgotten about...because they had nothing much for traffic, then - after six months time - they'd literally explode with search engine traffic.

I don't have any three years old, or even two years old - and the ones that are over a year old and closer to two years old are not increasing in traffic at all, really, but rather - are at very nice and sustainable levels of traffic - the good ones, that is.

To me, six months has been a much more valid time or "aging" date from whence the article will become favourable for search engines.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have given up. But I continue to plod.

2. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like everything else, "it depends" us the real answer.

I have been very impressed by Hubpages juice to my hubs. Like  you, I couldn't care less about keyword research or picking topics to write about  -  I write what I want to write and if not many ever read  it, so what?  I don't backlink other than G+, some Facebook, some Twitter. 

At my business site, I get 150,000 views a month and before Panda it was 250K.  I didn't promote anything there either  - I just wrote stuff about a now effectively extinct operating system that people found useful. 

I really think that unless you are going to  try to scam Google (and we do have people here who do that), that's the big non-secret: write stuff people will want to read.

If it is worth reading, it will get shared, it will get organic backlinks and traffic will grow. 

Keyword research can help you find things to write about, it can help you play games with Google, but it can't help you write what people want to read.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would disagree with this, but ONLY in the area of keyword research.

It usually takes me an hour or more to find a title, complete with keywords.  Mostly because, while I have a subject, I often don't know what people search for when trying to find that subject.  That's where the research comes in - finding just what people type into google as search terms to find what I want to write about.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Never mind.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

After just a short amount of time - that all becomes evident to you anyway via Hubpages Hub Metrics in the stats on each and every hub.

3. Pcunix profile image90

Sure, if you like doing that, I think it's great.  I hate that stuff though.  Boring. 

Do remember this though: Google doesn't tell you what keywords indicate that someone will click on your ads, or share a link to your page or plus-1 it or mention you in a newspaper or magazine article..

And it won't replace good writing.  Help it, of course. But not replace it.

Total agreement - and I've already decided that you're the go to guy for computer things.  I'm beyond certain that you deserve every bit of the traffic you get, and then some here and on your other site.

I did give a link to something of yours off this site to a webmaster that I know, and he was thrilled with it, as he wanted to move to Unix/Linux OS already.

1. Pcunix profile image90

There are better places to send him. I'm a dinosaur and that site is a dinosaur graveyard for the most part.  There are a handful of good articles, but most of it is dated and unimportant now.

2. emilgen2011 profile image58
        emilgen2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is what I notice to mu hubs... as they gets older they get better especially those well-written ones...

2. drspaniel profile image84
      drspanielposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the amount of questions in my reply! smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

I believe you. I give up.

4. dumindu89 profile image62
      dumindu89posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. My old hubs are getting traffic from Google search engine. Post hubs and wait. You will get traffic from Google later, probably after few months.

3. Max Dalton profile image85
    Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

Hi Cardia,

By far and across I'm no expert at this, and I've only been here for a little over a month, but the easiest thing you can do is make sure you're using ideal keywords. For example, open one of your hubs and then in another browser window open the Google Keyword Tool, which you can find by typing "Google Keyword Tool" in to a Google search. Type some phrases you think people may enter in a search engine to find your article. A list of potential phrases will appear that shows how many hits that specific phrase gets and what the competition for those keywords are like. I prefer using key phrases that are no longer than three words, have a high search rate and low competition. Also, I think Hubpages may ding you if you enter more than 20 tags, so I like to keep it less than that. I've had success to this point: 53 hubs over five weeks and around 3,500 page views. Also, I removed my Amazon ads because people weren't really clicking on them and I didn't like how they made my page look in combination with all the ads. Because I don't use anything other than the Hubpages ad program, I unclick the box in the Settings section that says that hub may be viewed as commercial because of the ads from external companies. I don't know if that helps, but I've been doing that to see if those hubs go up. Also, when it's convenient, I add at least 5 photos so users can view a slideshow if they want. The photos are always relevant and often illustrate the steps. I think this may also increase my page views somehow. My page views per day is increasing steadily, so I feel like I'm doing something right. I'll definitely follow this topic to see what advice you get from other people.

Best of luck,

Max.

1. Cardia profile image75
      Cardiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Max! The Google Adwords Tool is pretty helpful! I'm now going through my Hubs, and trying to make my keywords better.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would have thought that unchecking the 'this hub may be viewed as commercial' box, would effectively kill your earnings. All the adverts that appear on your Hubs are related to HP if you are on the HP Ad program, even if the Ads you are seeing are Adsense Ads. Essentially if you are with HP's Ad program all the adverts you see get paid to you by HP Ads program, with the exception of the last square block Ad at the bottom right side of each Hub. This block alone gets paid to you by Adsense directly. If you suggest the Hub is not commercial I am not sure exactly what happens, but would assume you cease to have Adverts appear on your article at all, or at least cease to be paid for any that do! You might want to double check this with the HP Team, or with other Hubbers who have been here a long while, but this is how I assumed it worked.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

While it may be true that a really well put together, and well written attractive hub page about a subject that isn't ubiquitous all over the net may draw it's own traffic due to it's quality without narry a backlink......

.....I still suggest you do just a tad bit more backlinking.

My list isn't long or impressive, but here you go:

Facebook
    twitter
    myspace
    digg
    redgage
    Google +
    Google bookmarks
    Delicious
    Folk's
    Best Reviewer
    A1 Webmarks - new user registration is suspended for that site, however.
    Tumblr
    Live Journal

I wouldn't ever suggest just up and doing all those backlinks at once.  I seldom even link to all of those sites for any one hub....those are just sites that I currently use.

Someone asked this question in the Q and A the other day, and I looked at their hubs...or one of them, and it was a well written hub about a great subject that I'd never heard of before - so surely I thought it should perform well enough....except the person hadn't put a title or heading over any of their images, or the map that they'd provided....you simply must title or give a heading to your images and other capsules including the most relevant keywords for that image, map, poll, video, or whatever - that's simple on page search engine optimization.  I only typed that out here as I've not looked at yours.

I'm also not the traffic or money master here at Hubpages - I write about whatever I flipping feel like writing about, and I absolutely never research keywords.  I don't care about competition, or whether or not anyone on the net is actually looking for information on what I write about at all.  I know that should I present something well enough....folks will become interested in it enough for my suiting as it is.

1. Mud Engineer profile image65
      Mud Engineerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the back-linking list Wesman.
      I have most of those in play but some were still new to me.
      I would also add that it can really help to have back-links from YouTube.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

I should add that I also used to use Article Blast, which is a very good dofollow backlink with which you can write a short summary of your hub, the link, a picture or a dozen, videos, and whatever else.

I've not been to Article Blast in several months, but whenever I get sort of burned out on writing....I'll go there and do the deal.

Oh, and that should have said "FOLK'D"

http://www.folkd.com/

Thanks again. Anyone know about using RSS feeds for traffic or page rank? I have no experience with that and I have heard that when its done right it is quite powerful. It seems to me like sort of hidden tool that the true masters use.

5. Huntgoddess profile image67
    Huntgoddessposted 12 years ago

I like this question, and I liked all of the answers. Not that I'm an expert, because I don't get a whole lot of traffic.

However, I have to say that Relache's answer is the one I like the most. Nobody has to agree with me, of course. I just think that writing new Hubs is what helps the most. I haven't published a new Hub in a long time, and it shows.

I notice that when I do publish a hub, I get some higher numbers for a while.

Besides, Relache is quite prolific, so she should know. But, her Hubs are also interesting and well-written, so I'm sure that counts.

As far as the SEO and Google search terms --- or whatever you kids are calling them nowadays --- I really have no clue. I don't even know what that's about. I can't use something like that.

I'll just have to stick with the old-fashioned method of trying to write well, about topics that I care or know about, and hope people like them. I try not to write when I'm tired or don't really understand the topic. I try not to write when I'd rather be doing something else.

Also, go over old Hubs and improve or update things, or correct mistakes you may have missed.

Thanks again for a great question, and a lot of great answers.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4356230_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5906419_f248.jpg

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardia,
      I'm no expert, but I've been hubbing for over a year now. The best thing I believe you can do at your point is to start writing more hubs. You need to get a decent body of work finished. I don't worry too much about keywords. They do matter, but since so many here do the same thing, I often find that when I choose my title for my hub, and begin to post it, my title has already been taken! So it's a waste of time. Write about what you like, and stuff you know about. But keep at it. I didn't see significant traffic until I got about 50 hubs written. Now I get about 3,000 views a day. It's not alot, but I get paid. And I love to write, I have a blog, I've published a book, and am beginning to write on another site, but the jury is out on that yet, it's still too new. I don't want to discourage you, but 7 hubs in 6 months is a very low writing amount. In the beginning, I was writing 3 hubs a week. They don't have to be long, 400 words is the minimum (though I tend to write until I say all I want, and that gets long). If you came to HP thinking it was easy, I can understand it. They say, sign up, write hubs, make money. It's misleading, because I see poor people from India and Jamaica that write in and say, "I  wrote two hubs, where is my money?" Concentrate on building up a portfolio of work, and pick a subject or niche that you really like. Best of luck to you!

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Somebody did a really good hub on RSS feeds. I thought I had bookmarked it but I guess not.  It is usually Miss Olive and Cardisa who write about this stuff.

I just read through a couple hubs from MissOlive and she had some good tips. It wasn't perfectly clear how to set one up though so I just did a search and it looks like there are some other quality hubs that I need to read through too. I love learning new stuff.

I stopped using RSS feeds.  I got sick of staff unpublishing a hub because the RSS feed contained links to unrelated hubs.

7. erniesliter profile image62
    erniesliterposted 12 years ago

The key to receiving more traffic is having a higher google ranking. By doing this  you need to make sure you have a large amount of backlinks. Check out Redgage they give you a free, medium pr backlink.

8. jax1911 profile image67
    jax1911posted 12 years ago

Great questions and great answers.

9. creativebutterfly profile image61
    creativebutterflyposted 12 years ago

Great answers helped me out a lot.... thanks

10. daisynicolas profile image77
    daisynicolasposted 12 years ago

Thanks for all the pointers. I agree that a quality hub says a lot.  I take time to write a quality hub and it will take me days to finish because I want to provide substance.  My hubs may not peak people's immediate interest, but, I believe they are useful and entertaining and affects our daily lives. However, a sign of $$$ would be welcoming news, and hope, soon.

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

You will find your own effective ways to get traffic to your hubs over time as you learn your way but for now.

- Write more hubs
    - Write articles on 3 different article sites, with each article being about the same niche (subject) but each of the 3 articles are still well written and unique. Link in the author resource box a link back to your Hub.
    - Do this as often as you can
    - After six months your article traffic and natural Google search traffic will incrementally climb.
    - Repeat this process as it is totally free

Whilst you are doing this learn as much as you can about keywords and backlinking for traffic. But you need to do this ethically, so don't go hunting out link farms and traffic exchanges, they are sh*t anyway and will hurt you in the short term.

Go and read hubs by Relache, Sunforged, Darkside, Thisisoli, Ryankett, Mark Knowles, RebeccaE. These are all people who have been in this game longer than me and they all have hubs with relevant, useful and important information about backlinking, traffic and creating Hubs that I ebeleive know what they are talking about and I trust.

Hope that helps answer your question.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

12. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to this post!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)