jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

If I write about Marijuana. . .

1. Joe Macho profile image93
    Joe Machoposted 5 years ago

I'm curious, will I have to turn off my google ads, hubpages ads? I've seen a few hubs and some have them turned off and others still have ads on. I plan to follow the guidelines and be strictly informational and provide disclaimers saying not to do illegal activities. Can someone please help me clarify this

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure other hubbers have written about marijuana, I know I've read some. If it were me, others may have better advice though, I'd just email hp and  propose what you plan to write about. They may be able to turn the filters off. If not, I'm bumping this post. Someone will have the correct answer.

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

This is what Hubpages has to say:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#drugs

The automatic content filters will probably take off the adverts, but if you contact the team for a manual review (or send them a link to the hub before publication) they'll be able to let you know of any issues/whether you can have adverts on the hub.

Joe Machoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

All I needed to know. Thanks for the link.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Anything pro-marijuana os not allowed for adsense, so making it a non-commerical hub would be wise.

So what exactly constitutes as "pro-marijuana". Say a hub is written about cultivation of marijuana, but in a disclaimer says that you shouldn't because it is illegal.

1. relache profile image89
        relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

From http://www.google.com/adsense/support/b … swer=48182

Google content guidelines state "Sites with Google ads may not include or link to:...Illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia content"

You will want to let admin look at any content before it gets published so they can review it.  That will give you the chance to remove inappropriate material before your HubPages account or AdSense account is officially banned.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image79
        Nouveau Skepticposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think pretty much just using the word 'marijuana' would be a problem.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

I'm sure I've read a hub about the benefits of using marijuana for patients undergoing all kinds of cancer treatment. I'm also sure they has ads on them. I think e-mailing the team with your proposal is the best bet. The worst that can happen is that you have to disable ads.

I appreciate the help. If I do decide to write, I'll definitely plan ahead. In general, would you say the hubpages community would frown upon such a topic? I'd hate to tarnish any reputation I might have.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59

I think it depends how you approach the subject, what your aims are. If you approach HP with a proposal, what you're trying to get across, what your angle is. Ultimately, they will make the decision. Even if they decide it is not appropriate, you wont be risking your adsence or HP account as Relache and Psycheskinner say, and even if you write this hub non-commercially, you can still get your thoughts out there.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image59

I don't believe most people in the HP community would frown upon the subject, no.

3. relache profile image89
        relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's not the community's opinion that matters nor your reputation.  It's purely whether or not admin interprets it as being a violation of the AdSense terms.

working