Hubbers, Please - NO COPIED CONTENT!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

During my morning hopping routine, I read a hub on cancer which I liked. At the end of the hub the author stated that she had posted it on her website too, with URL and everything. I decided to see the website and lo and behold the exact words. If she had rewritten the article it would have been okay.

This hubber is not a newbie, she has been here two years! Now tell me what to do with these people!

I was a newbie once and I made a few mistakes but I have been here ten months and have learned from those mistakes. I think that when I am here two years I should be a pro at hubbing with no violations under my belt

1. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
      Hestia DeVotoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've been on HubPages for 10 months and it seems like you should know by now that this instance is a textbook case for flagging the hub so that the moderation team reviews it.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I flagged it Hestia. I just get so tired of seeing people keep doing the same things over and over. I flagged it and wished I could flag it another ten times.

I also wish that the flagging would have an instant effect, but I guess those hubs that aren't that bad would be affected too.

2. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 12 years ago

hi...thats an easy one...flag the hub and under the comments, explain what you found...HP will handle it. I've done quite a bit of hub hopping, and I occasionally come across someone whose name I recognize, and who've I've flagged before. I'll go to their site and browse their hubs. If several are questionable, I'll call HP's attention to that as well.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did flag the hub, but what irks me is the fact that this hubber has been here two years and still break the rules.

Thanks for responding.

3. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, you see all kinds on here...a microcosm of the world around us..for better or worse...it was a pleasure..

4. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

The forum Extreme Makeover got pretty lively yesterday!   I got it all started when I asked for advice on a Hub I had done.  I checked the rules before I even asked.
    I did get good advice from serveral Hubbers, but there was one person that kept saying I was "self promoting" my hub.  That clearly was not my intent.  We sort of went back and forth for a while.  So, he said he would do the same thing if it was OK for me to do.  He did.  He threw one of his up, and asked for advice.
    One Hubber who had been participting back and forth was really quick and very sharp I might add, she clearly saw it was copied and pasted from another source! 
    I still don't know if he was serious, or just doing it as a joke.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Cardisa, I think I know the hub you're talking about. I left a comment on one hub that stated that the article was on her website. I didn't flag the article, for one reason and one reason only.....

Hubpages' filters prevent duplicate content from hubbers and that means she wouldn't have been able to put up the hub, if it was duplicated from some other location. At least that's what I've heard about how the duplicate content filter works.

This would mean that she posted the hub first, then put it on her website. Her website will suffer duplicate content and not her hub.

6. ronaldoh profile image63
    ronaldohposted 12 years ago

I think we may be getting confused with 'stealing content ' which is against Hubpages rules and duplicate which is not strictly against " Google rules."

Cagsil wrote This would mean that she posted the hub first, then put it on her website. Her website will suffer duplicate content and not her hub."

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … nalty.html

I have always believed there is no google penalty for duplicate content,and I hope the above link may shed some light on this area.

You should be careful how you promote hubs, and using sites such as 'snipsly, and 'she told me' you will be duplicating some of your material.

I would like to think Hubpages  would accept the hub as original content , and if so the author owns the content and should to be able to reproduce this on their own website and this is not 'stealing' as such.

Experts column is an article writing site I have just started to use and you can  post your own previously published  as long as it is your own content-

Experts column  guidelines states "You can post your already published columns here but ensure that they are your original work only. Don't steal work of others." Yes they are strict!

We all applaud Hubpages in improving the quality of content on it's site, but in my opinion, Hubpages  flagging your hub as duplicate, they are saying you are borrowing certain content.

Google know far more about you than Hubpages. Once you have searched for you latest holiday every website you visit for the next month will bombard you with duplicate adverts for your holiday! They target the adverts direct to you.

Google are quite satisfied to allow duplication.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but it's still against HubPages' rules.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)