jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Auto accident and lawyers

1. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

My wife was in an auto accident two years ago.  She was a passenger in a neighbors car. Banged up a bit, nothing very serious but a lot of pain and so far $12,000 in therapy. 

That's the limit the insurance company pays. It is now time to sue or settle.  We don't want much, just enough to cover any future therapy she may need.

Her case is complicated by pre-existing joint degeneration aggravated by the accident. We would expect the insurance company to argue that and I don't blame them at all.

We need to send a "demand letter". People tell us that the insurance company will ignore even a reasonable demand if a lawyer is not involved.

Is that true?  I don't want to offend anyone, but I have never had good experiences with lawyers.   I'd rather avoid that if possible.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

My opinion would do better with a lawyer. But like with anything, nine out of ten may not know what they are doing. You have to find the one honest person in anything. May require psychic intelligence, or it maybe that the more fancy they appear the bigger the rip-off.

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah. How does that saying go? Thrice burned, damned if I want to hire another one?