jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Is this funny?

1. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 4 years ago

I have a question that keeps bugging me. If I wrote something like 'I likes me my freedom.' in a hub, would you recognize it as humor, - which it was intended to be recognized as - or would you just think it's plain bad grammar and this author doesn't write English very well?

My experience is that people do not recognize that sentence structure as humorous and this bothers the heck out of me, myself, and I. Please, advise.

1. Quilligrapher profile image88
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am a pretend-to-be-writer who believes the author has to take full responsibility for how his words are interpreted. Sarcasm, irony, and humor must be unmistakably obvious to the reader. This is not always easy to accomplish. “I likes me my freedom” in a hub is likely to interrupt the narrative flow by making the reader pause and re-read the sentence. Only the author can determine if that is a price worth paying.

2. bloggernotjogger profile image61
    bloggernotjoggerposted 4 years ago

It´s all about the context. It´s funny if you only use it once and you set it apart from the rest of the writing in a way that is made clear.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep. Once, funny. A whole page full; they'll misunderstand.

3. Michele Travis profile image68
    Michele Travisposted 4 years ago

It might be funny if someone said:
    John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt his name, is my name too.
    But that person was a woman.
    No matter what she looked like people would know she was not a man.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

There is a category for humor, put it under there if you are afraid people will take it seriously.

1. Michele Travis profile image68
      Michele Travisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I made that mistake.  I put my Obama or Sweetums for President under Politics instead of humor.