jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Hmmm... Historical Hub - what to do?

1. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

I wrote a hub on the 1705 Virginia Slave Act, and the act involved fines and rewards with tobacco as the payment system. In addition, many of the slave plantations were on tobacco farms... I didn't even think about it until I hit "publish" and the warning popped up with disabled ads.

Should I simply avoid writing on a historical context that includes any tobacco farms? I can't re-write history to appease Google, since this act included many references to tobacco plantations and used tobacco as payment.

I'm trying to decide if I should just unpublish this one...

1. bgpappa profile image84
      bgpappaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I ran into this problem as well, with Google buzzwords trumping actual historical facts.  The site will do nothing to help you as they won't actually read the article for its context and will just apply the google standards.  What I did was joined another site that does not get its payments from Google and published it there.  It is doing very well.  You wrote the article, you should publish it and be rewarded for your hard work.

2. leahlefler profile image99

True.. I've been thinking of starting a wordpress site, so maybe I could pull it down and publish it there. I didn't even THINK about the fact that so many slave plantations revolved around tobacco, and that tobacco is a forbidden subject with Google. Ugh.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Have admin review it.  Your context should be appropriate when reviewed by a human, and not an automated filter.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep, poke HP with a stick on this one. I agree that they will be fine with it. smile

4. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

Do as relache suggests and you should be fine.  This is nothing new here. smile

5. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 4 years ago

As relache said, a moderator will realize that the content is safe. I've reenabled ads since the content is clearly ad-safe.

The automated content filters are very conservative, and err on the side of caution, in order to not antagonize our advertisers. smile

6. bgpappa profile image84
    bgpappaposted 4 years ago

In my experience, having a moderator review the hub doesn't help. They simply apply the Google standard and generally try to protect the computer system rather than the hubber. Hopefully you will have better luck and perhaps someone will actually read your hub.  If they do publish it, would love to read it, very intersting topic.

1. leahlefler profile image99
      leahleflerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

bgpapa, I've never had any trouble with the human moderators.. the hub was always published, but the ads were disabled. I'd rather have a conservative system that protects my adsense account, to be honest...

7. leahlefler profile image99

OK - I just don't want to end up on the wrong side of Google. *sigh of relief*

8. bgpappa profile image84
    bgpappaposted 4 years ago

Fair enough and I respect your opinion.  However, if a hub, after being read by a human moderator, does not actually violate Google TOS, then I don't understand the need to disable anything.  But instead, they let a computer make a decision and defend the computer.

But I do get your point which is why I decided to publish those hubs somewhere else.  You are entitled to do whatever it is you want with you hard work.  Just answered your original question as to the way I handled a similiar situation.