Unpublished Hub has Higher Score Than New Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Its funny to me that a new 1400+ word hub is still low in ranking than an unpublished hub...roll

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've found that Hubber Score is related to HubPages activity and Hub Score is related to traffic.  My theory holds up over my accounts, so please tell me that your new hub is beating a hub that gets little to no traffic big_smile

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no it's not. it has traffic and is still lower than some that do not...wake up Google or HP...

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I create a new Hub. I usually don't publish it right away. I like to go back to it and proof read one last time before I publish. During the time that it sits there in my account as an unpublished Hub, its Hub Score rises. It always happens. So this confirms that Hub Score is not only based on traffic.

However, just like you, I don't know what is in the algorithm that controls the Hub Score. We can only pick up some clues from what we notice is happening, such as this one. But I would guess that traffic also has a big part to do with it once a Hub is published, as well as vote up and down clicks and how long people stay on the page reading.  Your Stats report shows View Duration as well as other metrics that affect score.

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks for your input Glen. its a mystery then..an unsolved mystery...roll

2. KeithTax profile image73
          KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actully, Stacy, it is. Jason M is right; traffic has a lot to do with hubscores. Look at the top 10 hubs for traffic and hubscore. They overlap quite a bit. They almost move in lockstep.

With the information above I tried an experiment. I used a page refresher six months or so ago and focused on one low traffic hub with a hubscore in the low sixties. In less than a week my hubscore hit 100 and broke the top 10 for a few days before I ended the experiement.

HP uses a lot of lip service on writing quality hubs, but their algorithm puts heavy emphasis on traffic. The new HP model only works for high traffic hubs. Hubs that focus on topics with high click values no longer work. Writing fluff that lots of people with visit for makes money on HP. If a hub can't generate 1000 page views or more a month it is impossible to make any real money on them now.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't recommend anyone to repeat this experiment, since artificially generating pageviews is against the HubPages Terms of Use.

"4. RESTRICTIONS AND PROHIBITIONS ON USE
            In Your use of the Service You must abide by the following restrictions and prohibitions on use. As a Service User or Author, You may Not:

...Engage in behavior designed to manipulate HubScores."

"9....Fraud, Other Invalid Activity, and Breach.
            ...(c) requests for end users to click on advertisements on Your Hub or repeatedly reload Your Hub to generate additional page impressions."

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

Ditto AdSense program policies:

"...Any method that artificially generates clicks or impressions on your Google ads is strictly prohibited. These prohibited methods include, but are not limited to, repeated manual clicks or impressions..."

http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/a … swer=48182

2. Jason Marovich profile image88

The money figures:  I started a blog and my HP accts at around the same time and it looked like HP was going to be way bigger for me, not in terms of traffic, but in terms of dollars.  Just didn't happen the way I was going about it.

There's nothing I've seen to make me believe that the number one factor for HubScore isn't traffic, but that's just my theory.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
            Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's a recent example (numbers from memory, but they're roughly correct):

Day 1: Hubscore 60ish
            Day 2: Hubscore 92, traffic 20
            Day 3: Hubscore 91, traffic 50
            Day 4: Hubscore 89, traffic 5000+
            Day 5: Hubscore 88, traffic 3000+
            Day 6: Hubscore 87, traffic 2000+
            Day 7: Hubscore 92, traffic 1800
            Day 8: Hubscore 95, traffic 2000

From this I conclude that while Hubscore may be tied partly to traffic, there is a  several day lag. wink

And I agree with you that since Hubpages pays for impressions, not just conversions, the downside to it is that it's tempting to USE it to publish material that gets impressions but not conversions. I confess I've been doing exactly that. However, my articles that don't convert aren't necessarily fluff: they're op-ed pieces, creative writing, informational essays, and thinky thoughts about science and history which attract readers, not consumers. I've been saving my content that's effective at conversions for sites that pay better for conversions than impressions. (In my case, that content is more "fluff" and less weighty in terms of meaning, but it brings home the bacon.)

1. Jason Marovich profile image88

I agree with the lag observation.  The highest hubscore I received, with small traffic, was in the low 80s.  Hub Score (not hubber score) should be tied to traffic IMO - articles that bring traffic make money for both the site and writer, and solvency is the name of the game for a business website.

I'll take heart from what you say about getting traffic to op-eds and creative writing.  From what I hear, I guess I just need a bigger portfolio to catch Google's eye.

4. profile image0
            kelleywardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering the question on how many views are needed to actually generate some income. Keith Tax. I have been wondering this for a while.

2. MakinBacon profile image80
    MakinBaconposted 12 years ago

It appears to me Hubpages ranking is related in some way to the things they have said they like to see in Hubs, e.g., a certain number of videos, pictures, text, etc.

I've published some Hubs that were really good, but only included one image and no videos, and have had really low rankings. Other times I've included much more media, and the score is much higher.

It really doesn't matter though. I have low-ranked Hubs that get a lot of traffic, and that's what I'm in it for: to make money, and traffic drives revenue. That's really the only way to keep score, unless you're just enjoying writing and not caring about whether or not too many people read what you're writing.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Well today the opposite is true. The newer hub is moving up,albeit slowly past the unpublished one..wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)