jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How has the downturn in the economy affected you?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

Have you lost your home, your business or your job. How are you coping?

1. Bard of Ely profile image89
      Bard of Elyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I find I can't go out much like I used to do because I can't even afford the bus fares! I have been getting behind with my rent too which I hate.

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

I'm fortunate that my real work is recession-proof.

Most of what I translate relates to trials of new medicines. These products have been in the development pipeline for many years, with millions invested. The trials themselves can last for several years and the data from them is essential to get the products registered so they can be marketed and started providing returns on the investment.

In addition, the market for medicinal products is probably one of the last to be affected by changes in the economy.

No pharmaceutical company is going to stop setting up clinical trials because of the recession. Also, they have to keep discovering and developing new products, because patents on medicinal products only last a maximum of 15 years, after which anyone can produce generic copies.

I work through translation agencies. A few have tried to force me to give discounts because of "the economy". I refuse point blank because even if they ditch me, there are plenty of others to take their place. It amuses me highly when I stop getting work from one agency because of my policy, and a couple of weeks later am approached by another agency to work for them on the same project I used to do with the previous agency!

As a result, I have not seen any difference whatsoever.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image97
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's great for you WriteAngled, I used to typeset and design medical forms. My company lost business partly as a result of medical records going digital. Also there was a downturn in print in general, even before the recession.

3. webclinician profile image62
    webclinicianposted 4 years ago

I just tend to worry more but things seems to stay the same.
    I do locum jobs and a bit Lucky still.
    Only thing lost at the moment is peace of mind.