jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 18 months ago

If YOU'RE a recent college graduate with a Bachelor's, Master's, or a Doctorate Degree, would you rather be unemployed  and wait 6 months to 2 years for a job commensurate with your particular education or would you take a job that does not required your particular educational level of degree?

2. 59
    Richard Meaneyposted 18 months ago

What you realise after graduating is, the job doesn't matter, it's all about the money

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 18 months ago

Who out there can just sit around not making any money? Not me, you can't eat a PhD.

1. Popit profile image81
      Popitposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Plenty of UK supermarket shelf fillers with a PHD.  They earn a small fortune.
      Also, work experience is very important, employers like to see someone with drive as well as ambition.  And (this is going to sound a bit mean and shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted,) it's always better to start looking for the post at least a year before your doctorate is finished or even better, arrange for a sponsorship at the beginning of your studies.  No work is beneath you, there is always a lot to learn.  It's no good being an academic, if you need someone to open the door for you.

1. Popit profile image81
        Popitposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Yep, that sounded a bit mean.  I hope you find something soon, Bon Chance. smile

4. ladyolove profile image58
    ladyoloveposted 17 months ago

I graduated in 2011 with a BA and took up my Masters only because of the struggle to find a job that could support my student loan payments that would start within 6 months. So digging myself into more debt because I could not find a job with my Degree- Social Welfare and Community Sociology- I found myself working at a dead end job-no advancement opportunities, and working on another degree that as far as I knew could hurt me from getting jobs because I have hear the term "Over Qualified" Or "Education background looks great, but not enough experience" Oh so many times. Currently, I am working as an accountant and still have not finished my Masters. I believe if Universities/Colleges did a better job connecting students with Alumni and network into different fields they could give them direction or contacts. Some schools do great at this, others leave way to much up to the student.