Do you want to help or hurt the planet

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (52 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pburgerposted 13 years ago

Does anybody 'want' to hurt the planet?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unlikely, however, there are plenty who "want" to make money and don't care if the planet is hurt in the process.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bingo. Pass Go and collect $200. You just won at both games.

I agree entirely. No one wants to really hurt the planet (I think) but temporarily hurting it for the sake of greed is acceptable, because most people don't follow through the consequences of their actions. They only see the opportunity of "now" and therefore seize it.

1. profile image0
          pburgerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Daniel,

Short of a revolution to overthrow capitalism - what do we do about the state of the planet?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Individuals can do very little alone, but millions of individuals -- including capitalists- can do a lot by using less plasic, recycling, etc.

I am glad to see that some large, capitalistic companies are starting to appeal to their customers by using greener methods of producing, packaging and processing their products.

I am ALL in favor of using very minimal processed food and other products, but the only way that less fuel will be used (and less trash produced)-- is to get big  capitalist business behind those concepts. Let them know you support them when they are making good choices.

I'm not at all against capitalism-- but I am for influencing
            the big capitalists to realize that people support any efforts to stop trash and pollution.

1. profile image0

I cannot rest on 'influence' alone, not while conservative politicians influence the political outcomes to retard the efforts to address the state of the planet.

I think too many people deny the situation and for me that simply perpetuates the problem. And the passing on of production costs associated with clean technology simply shifts the burden of responsibility.

With extreme overpopulation and degradation of the biosphere, I cannot see how we can continue the exploitation of the planet according to an economic system designed for a social reality that no longer exists....

2. profile image0

Hi Pretty Panther

Do enough people want to help the planet?

1. profile image0

I think that if you asked pretty much anyone if they wanted to help the planet, they would say "yes."  The real question should be "what would you sacrifice in the way of time, money, convenience, etc. in order to help the planet?"

1. profile image0

Do you think most people are prepared to sacrifice enough to help the planet?

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
          I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Probably not enough right now. This planet will be saved when (or if) it becomes profitable to do things that help the planet. Right now most people see helping the planet as a sacrifice of their money or free time.

1. profile image0

Do you think we should apply a monetary measure to everything? Isn't that the essence of capitalism? And didn't that approach get us into this situation?

2. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think what people want is to survive. We aren't any different than any of the other animals that share our world, except we have the ability to recognize our impact and to feel empathy for the less fortunate. The bottom line is we're still driven by the same biology, survival and propagating our species. In those pursuits we tend not to focus on mankind in general so there isn't a conscious effort to do harm to the planet but to obtain great wealth in order to attract the most desirable mates is of primary importance.

3. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Burger:
      Pls tell me how man can "hurt" the planet?
      The earth has experienced far greater catastrophes than man could dream of creating, and she's still here and doing well.
      She'll be here long after we humans have bitten the dust.
      I said once that you asked a "silly" question. You have just asked another one. I'm just being "candidly" honest.
      Being "politically correct," is not my bag....:-)

1. profile image0

You are entitled your opinion.

But I think, from reading what other people post, that my question is not 'silly'... And, if you look through the other thread where indeed you make your comment that I ask a 'silly question' you will also find a great deal of discussion around my 'silly question'.

And within those discussion you find that another hubber insisted that I should ask this question of myself. So here I am asking the question in the public domain.

One hubber's 'silly question' is another hubber's thread

2. profile image0

Just become something survives does not mean it hasn't been hurt.  This is not a silly question.  Perhaps it could have been phrased differently, but the rest of us know what was meant by it.

1. profile image0

Hang on there, Pretty Panther
          Qwark has yet to anoint you
          So, officially, I'm the silly one here tongue

3. profile image0

WARK!

'Tell me' why you think 'man', but not woman, does not hurt the planet; 'tell me' how the recent spate of oil spills is not a form of damage to the ecosystem?

2. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I doubt there are many people that want to hurt the planet just most people are selfish and greedy and we would not spend a lot more if something was green - including me!  However if something is free and helps like recycling I try and do that!

1. profile image0

WOW!  'Most people are selfish and greedy?' That's something of a generalization, given we have a global population of how many billions? Is it greedy or ignorance? Or simply ambivalence?

3. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I kick dirt, and punch trees daily.  I never really thought I was intentionally hurting the planet though.  Thanks for making me feel bad.

1. profile image0

I asked a question.

If you answer that question and take your answer to heart how do I 'make you feel bad'?

Surely, you made yourself feel bad....

1. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because I never really thought about it until you asked.  Thanks for making me feel worse.

1. profile image0

Don't blame me for how you feel. It is not my FAULT that a question you choose to answer make you think about yourself. JFC!

Hey, you brought it up.  If you didn't I'd still be fine.  Way to rub it in.

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And, if you didn't waste your own effort to reply to the question, then you wouldn't have a problem. hmm

I don't have a problem.  I don't believe I was conversing with you either.

That is irrelevant in a public forum thread. But, have a great day!

More news from the peanut gallery.  What a surprise yawn zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

2. profile image0

LMAFO - What happened to taking responsibility for your own state of being?

I'm American, when did taking responsibility for my actions become a requirement?

roll

2. profile image0

LMAFO!

That's a prerogative limited to an American?

OMG - you mean these conservative politicians down-under are Americans in disguise? No wonder I can't understand them...

4. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

I don't want to hurt the planet. I've always wanted to create some type of mystical grove, something serene and different. big_smile

1. profile image0

Cool cool

How's your grove growing going? Can you share something with us?

5. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

silly questions and silly responses...tsk tsk

1. profile image0

Yeah, silly us! I like being silly big_smile Better to be silly than blind and turgid.

And if this thread is so silly, why spend time posting here? roll

2. profile image0

Look Mum, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee big_smile

Don't be so silly son! roll

Awwww maaaaaa! tongue

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Nice to see you know how to twist things to not being your fault.

You are not any better than the politicians who are in power in America. Then again, there are others just like you, who enjoy twisting other people words, so as to suit themselves.

What a waste of breath! hmm

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. ediggity profile image61

Like a politician?  Seems like you poke your nose where it doesn't belong, and try to stir things up pot.  I haven't twisted anyone's words, and if you can't tell from my original comment that it was a joke that's not my fault.  Like I was trying to say.  It was a pants shirt conversation, so put a sock in it.  I hope you get that breath back, please don't waste it on me.

And, apparently you cannot even grasp the concept that you are wrong. Enough said. It was you who was wasting their breath. DUH!

Whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better.  Keep digging....

2. profile image0

It was a joke? I fail to see irony or humor in your replies - But I'll take your word for it - I stand corrected - HAH HAH HAH Big laugh guffaw guffaw.

How bad do I MAKE YOU FEEL big_smile

I hope you feel so bad you decide to swill a pint of Southwark bitter ale roll

Yeah, it was a joke.  I don't really kick dirt and punch trees every day.  You make me feel like I hurt the planet.  I've never had love juice.  I might give it a try, do they sell it at Ralphs?

1. profile image0

Yoh ediggity Yoh smile
            smile Love juice?
            What's that?
            Ralphs?
            Whats that?
            roll
            Not everybody lives in your corner of the public domain big_smile
            lol You got any more subtle jokes over there buddy? lol

Yeah, what do you call cheese that's not yours?

1. profile image0

I would call cheese that's not mine 'your cheese'

Nacho Cheese, welcome to America.

7. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

cool

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)