Everything has evolved

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

gone from a primative, simple form to more complex...some things are lost...nothing is the same as it was 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 1000 years ago, 10000 years ago.

Things that have evolved include:

music
    language
    religion
    science
    culture
    technology
    knowledge
    art
    society
    living creatures

do you agree?
    Is there anything that doesn't evolve?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sex. On the whole, I don't think it evolves. Sure people try a few different ways or have it more or less or with different amounts of people... but on the whole it stays the same.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WryLit, I had no idea... smile

2. thooghun profile image94
        thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The functional act of sex may not, however I think the culture that surrounds it has wink

And by extention alot of the behavioural norms that encompass it as well. Yesterday's taboos are today's trends, and to some degree vice-versa.

3. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ah..but has sex evolved too?  ie people do it for pleasure, not just for reproduction....

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It may not evolve overall but it has its own evolutionary cycle.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good post. smile

3. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think changed would be a better word choice.  Evolve implies complexity, which is subjective.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evolution is complex but how is evolution subjective?

1. ediggity profile image60

I will answer your question in two parts.  First, the subjective I referred to was with respect to the categories posted by the OP, not evolution itself.  You have re-stated my point that evolution is complex, but the degree of complexity (if any at all) of the categories posted by the OP are subjective to opinion, so changed is a better word choice in IMO.  Second, evolution itself is subjective, because not everyone believes in evolution.

Ex.

Has music really evolved? or has it just changed?

or in context of evolution:

Is music today really more complex?  Or were the original versions more complex?

1. profile image0

music has evolved - look at the evolution of musical instruments for a start.  Then musical theories, musical styles etc.

That is all subjective to opinion.  One could argue that styles of prior eras were more complex than the styles of today.  It comes down to personal taste not "evolution"

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well that's true.  everything you just listed has evolved; except for humans, as we still haven't evolved since our earlier cromag years.  In fact, on the most basic cellular and dna level, our dna doesn't match up with neanderthal man at all. In fact, there was this one study on how a scientist took the dna of all species and broke them down to the most basic cellular level, and they all came out the same.  Regardless if the dna came from a plant, a bird, mammal or whatever, on the most basic cellular level they were all the same; even neanderthals.  here's the kicker here, modern man, which is us, our dna didn't match the others on the most cellular basic level.  therefore, there's no definitive proof that we even evolved from neanderthals at all. 

Hence, why you always hear the phrase, "missing link", as scientists who try to prove Darwin's theory can't seem to find it.  Am I saying it's divine intervention?  No, but it's possible.  I also think it's possible aliens might have tampered with our dna cellular structure, and that's why we can't find the missing link.

We started from dust, or in the case of great human wisdom left handed amino acids.

http://www.science20.com/news_releases/ … obiologist

http://www.darwinismrefuted.com/molecul … gy_04.html

Genesis

{2:7} And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1. profile image0
          Daniel J Breretonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we started from dust...star dust, that is.  All things were ince packed together in a singularity which exploded to form the universe as we know it.  Then, slowly, atoms and molecules in the universe interacted to form organic matter.  Finally, quite recently, humans grew out of the evolution of life on earth.

I agree with you, except for the evolution part, all by the hand of GOD.

1. John Holden profile image61
              John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So your god isn't smart enough to design in evolution?

Sure he is, I just don't believe that's what happened.

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's NOT possible to find the missing link because everything is linked.

One anti-evolutionist might say, well then how come all humans and monkeys share only 98% DNA but all humans are differer by 1%?

Where I would then say, because you dill hole, we are evolving each individually and as a species. There are NO missing links.

1. profile image0

Your right.  Everything on this planet is linked in some way or another, and have a natural equilibrium with the environment itself.  Versus us, we just populate an area until we use up every natural resource, then repopulate to another area.  Kind of like a virus if you stop to think about it.  Have you ever stopped to wonder...WHY that is?  I know I have...have you?

3. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neither is there definitive proof that we didn't.

1. profile image0

Your right.  There is no definitive proof of that either, but that doesn't necessarily make my theory and opinion any less logical or rational than yours.

4. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How can you say humans haven't evolved?  Consider:

A good look at suits of armor, clothing, furniture, etc. from the middle ages and it becomes immediately obvious that we are bigger than we used to be.  It's called evolution.

More and more people never develop wisdom teeth, and those that do often can't carry them - the modern jawbone is too small.  It's called evolution.

If memory serves me right, the first recorded case of hemophilia was one of England's queens - it is not that uncommon now.  It's called evolution.

None of these are the radical changes that everyone thinks of when considering evolution, but it's only been a few thousand years instead of the millions normally required for large changes.  We're changing, all right, albeit slowly.

1. profile image0

Well you do bring up a lot of valid points there, and I must admit to my own shame, I didn't remember some of the points you alluded to, until you reminded me.  However, that still doesn't prove we evolved from Neanderthals though, as the jury is still out on that one. 

No, I'm not some religious nut that's pushing religion down anyone throats, and claiming its divine intervention, as there's no definitive proof of that either, but all I'm saying is we have to look at ALL the facts here before we can claim anything for certain.

5. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are very, very confused in this area.

We are just like every other living thing. Our DNA  is not mysteriously different.  There is no need to involve gods or aliens.

1. profile image0

really? I'm confused?  No offense Pcunix, but I have yet to talk to ANY scientist or see any scientific documentary where it definitely says there is a link between Neanderthals and Modern man on a DNA cellular level.  Unless you can cite EXACT sources and references, then I stand by my own convictions.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Humans and Neanderthals were different species. But - we shared a common ancestor and there is evidence that we interbred. Certainly we did not evolve from Neanderthals - what makes you think we did?

http://www.time.com/time/health/article … 68,00.html
            http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 … some-of-us
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8660940.stm

1. profile image0

Well Mark, I never thought that we did evolve from Neanderthals, as I was just trying to make a point that we never did as well with some of the other atheists here that believe we did.  Don't get me wrong, I do believe that everyone has a right to formulate their own views on life, but I was just stating biologically there's been no definitive proof to show we evolved from Neanderthals.  As there's even evidence right now showing that Cromags existed alongside Neanderthals if I'm not mistaken. 

I'll definitely check out the links later Mark. I appreciate you posting them up.  I would do it now, but I have to be at class in about 10 minutes, so I probably won't have time right now, but thanks though.  I'll definitely check it out later.

What has a lack of belief in an Invisible Super Being got to with with understanding human evolution?

1. profile image0

I never said it did, as those are two totally different subjects entirely.  I was just trying to make a point that's all.  I apologize if I didn't make that clearer enough.

2. wilderness profile image96
                wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are correct - cro-magnan man lived side by side with neanderthal, and was probably instrumental in their demise.  As Mark says there is some evidence of interbreeding as well.  In that sense we are their descendents, but it a very weak link and not enough to call it evolution.

Rather, neanderthal and cromagnan (our most immediate ancestor) came from the same ancestor long, long ago.  The evolutionary tree branched off, with neanderthal moving north into Europe while the ancestors of cromagnan stayed south for a long time before moving North as well and met up with neanderthal.

1. profile image0

our species of human have been instrumental in many species demise - look at all the animals facing extinction thanks to humans ripping out their habitats, eating them all etc

2. profile image0

Well after reading the links, it does offer difinitive proof that there was inbreeding between Neanderthals and Cromags, which no offense, I already knew.  I don't want to sound like a smart a**, but I'm just saying this is already information I knew about before reading the links.  However, although there was inbreeding, there's still no evidence to show that we ever did evolve from Neanderthals though initially, as the rest of the articles offer up a lot of well thought out theories, but no results.  Therefore, you really can't say that the earliest ancestry of Cromags evolved from Neanderthals, as there's still no defining proof of that.

@mark knowles

Although I do appreciate you providing the links mark but sadly, it doesn't offer the answer i was looking for.  Sorry, but I do appreciate you helping me out though.  Thanks. smile

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Things, and Ideas ... only Exist ... as a Transience ... describable as the Living Human's Awareness, in Being.

What we Read ... is the written Record ... of someone's Awareness ...

What we see, as Relics, are the past ... when we look up at the sky ... we see what there was ... not what there is.

The Structures, we behold in the Present ... is Human effort ... Physically Described.

Thus, there is no such thing as Evolution ... it is either the Written, or the Described ... we relate to ... in a Logical Sequence.

Humans, Exist, in a Transience ... called Life.

6. FlyGerm profile image58
      FlyGermposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A quick scan of this thread ... I didn't see what I'm about to post:

To be sure things have changed over time.  However most of the change I see mentioned has to do with cultural changes rather than actual genetic changes.  Humans have changed, genetically, very little within recorded human history and arguably have changed little over the last 100,000 years.

Evolution *by Natural Selection* usually takes place on much vaster time-scales.  This doesn't invalidate the idea but it proposes two answers.

1) No, the things you list are not due to genetic change
      2) Yes, the things you list are due to cultural change which is also subject to similar algorithmic processes akin to Natural Selection but with different units of analysis.

2. f_hruz profile image60
    f_hruzposted 13 years ago

The real process of evolution is only performed by natural forces. Reproductive processes evolved along with the diversification of life on earth.

Natural evolution continues on our planet as part of cosmic evolution.

Humans evolved as one life form among many. As we learned to cope with our natural environment, we developed various cultures and different languages, some advanced societies, learned quite a lot about astonomy and mathematics at their cultural high points before fading away.

Technological developments are not part natural evolution, nore are the results of human involvement in biological developments

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I don;t think 'evole' implies become more complex.  A virus is very simple, but highly evolved.  And some species like crocodiles have been almost exactly the same since the time of the dinosaurs.

1. thooghun profile image94
      thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"A virus is very simple, but highly evolved"

Well put, I hadn't thought of it that way, what an apt comparison. I'm going to steal that one wink

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you believe ... Things live ... or Exist, in an Evolution ... beyond the Existential "Moment" of our Awareness ?

4. Jaggedfrost profile image59
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

lol I can say it because it isn't true but lets use alliterations to prove it.  If you look in our past as civilization, there isn't a vice that hasn't existed in other nations that were destroyed by this and that.  There isn't an art or subject of scholarly writ  That hasn't been discussed and ruminated over by other civilizations, western or not.  Banked highways have been found in south America to note that speed has been considered before.  There are drawings on temple walls that attest to some form of power to make light other then fire.   I have even seen pictures of flying craft in the carvings of "ancient culture."  There are things we have gotten better at then has ever been done before but perhaps we are limited in knowing that everything we have done hasn't been done before by the very nature of this planet and its core.  You cannot prove nor can any other that there hasn't been life here the way it is now.  By the very presence of Gold, this planet speaks of ages and perhaps a melting and renewing from once before where life perhaps existed as it does  now but such processes have started anew.  I like the idea of cycle.  For that is all it is I feel.

5. Jaggedfrost profile image59

and yet we reason where the apes do not and no other animal comes even close.  Your purported wisdom as wacky as your hair.

1. Pcunix profile image91

More confusion.  Other animals do reason.  Not as cleverly as we do, but reasoning is not unique to us.  In fact, NOTHING is unique to us.   We do many things far better than any other animal, but we have no claim to great uniqueness other than as a matter of degree.

6. Jaggedfrost profile image59

I said nothing of aliens only the possible presence of tech before its time.  You were jumping to conclusion and I capitalized Gold.  Dyslexia doesn't due for one who wishes to debunk another.

7. Jaggedfrost profile image59

Do you have a degree in animal telepathy as well? You can train animals to do many things that mimic reason, even communicate but not to reason.

All you need to do is type "reasoning monkeys" into Google to learn that this has nothing to do with "training". 

But that would violate your world view, so don't bother.

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

You might also Google "Portia labiata" for a non-primate example.

9. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 13 years ago

Evolution is not progress, evolution is change that is channeled in whatever direction the wind happens to be blowing when the change occurs. Is a polar bear better than a termite? They would each die trying to live in the others environment. A termite can't kill a polar bear, but there are far more termites in the world, and they have lived far longer than polar bears.

Perhaps the question should be " Are we devolving as a species ? " ...Larry

Evolution most definitely does not imply improvement, merely response to environment. 

This is something commonly misunderstood by the anti-evolution crowds, so I am happy you mentioned it.

10. Jaggedfrost profile image59

Maybe I should refine the concept of reasoning.  Searching for food, even if someone complicates matters a little is something an infant can do as well.  I would expect those with no self control and complete submission to their needs to share characteristics of situational problem solving related to survival.  Heaven knows otters use tools of sorts to do what they do and open shells.  I defy you or anyone else to provide the world with an ape who is capable of reasoning in matters not attached to survival.

You should read the ASL conversations that researchers have had with apes.   

No, they aren't as smart as we are.  But many of us aren't as smart as the rest of us, either, right?  I could easily point you at people who regularly post in these forums who seem incapable of reasoning or at least do it far less well than others.

We are not special.  Our DNA is not mysterious.  We're just another kind of ape.

11. Jaggedfrost profile image59

Heaven knows that in one research study only one out of four monkeys could do the experiment put to them but none of the experiments reach to the level of what you and I are capable of doing in this discussion.  Provide me with an ape capable of delivering your witty responses to this understanding what they are saying and I will relent.

Again:  a matter of degree.   A car traveling at 40 MPH is still moving, even though one traveling at 90 will leave it far behind.

Apes reason.  So do other animals. We are not unique except in degree.

12. Jaggedfrost profile image59

Then we as a race of humanity have exceeded that as we do not coexist in our environment but abuse and exploit it or do whatever else we wish with it.  Animals do not do that.  Odd.

Of course they do. Your observational skills seem somewhat impaired by your irrational beliefs. A simple observation of almost any animal population will show they grow and eat until their dominant food source becomes compromised, and when it does, the animal that relies on the food source starves and their population shrinks. No co-existence necessary. Nature takes care of business.

All animals do it - when food is abundant, the population grows, when food is scarce, it shrinks. We have simply developed technology that has - so far - allowed us to over ride this normal boom and bust. But when we go bust - we will do so in a big way, because this is one big boom. I am with Douglas Adams - coming down from the trees was a big mistake. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)