jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

ACT Test

1. 0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

My son took an ACT test at school and scored 18.  I know very little about this test and am wondering if that is a good score or alow score.  He is in the 8th grade and is 14 years old.

1. workingmomwm profile image84
      workingmomwmposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I scored an 880 on the SAT when I was in 7th grade (comparable to an 18 on the ACT).
      Three years later, I scored a 29 on the ACT and a 1220 on the SAT, which was good enough to qualify me as a National Merit Finalist and earn me a few free rides to colleges.
      So, it could be a very good score, if he continues on the way he's going.

2. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 5 years ago

The ACT is a college assessment test similar to the SAT. It has an extra science section, which the SAT doesn't have. However, the math and english sections are also easier than the SAT's so it does balance out. The ACT is the primary college test for the western part of the US, whereas the SAT is the primary test for the eastern part, though many colleges will accept either.

I'll be honest, 18 is not that great,that'd put him around the 35th percentile (meaning in a room of 100 random test takers, about 65 people would have done better).

However he's an 8th grader and a great deal of ACT test-takers are 10-11th graders, so I guess that's not too bad.

When your son takes the ACT seriously (in the 10th-11th grade), he should aim for 22+ (30+ is best).

You might be able to get sample tests and find out how to grade them in order to self-test your son at home. If he can study enough to get a 22 before high school, he'll probably get a 30+ in the 10th-11th grade.

3. Mikeydoes profile image80
    Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago

I've heard that 18 is about average for Juniors in High School. Not a bad score, an 18 won't get many scholarships, but it doesn't look terrible to quite a few colleges, but obviously a 20+ is always better. It goes all the way up to 36.

4. 0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies.  He told us he got 18 out of a possible 25.  I haven't been able to find any ACT tests that only go up to 25.

1. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well the ACT goes up to 36.

So either he doesn't know what it goes up to or he took a different test that is also called ACT.

Well if your son knows his score, that means he either got the report card (which has the total scores on the back) or he has his student number which you can use to check his score online.

Unless of course it is a different test in which case you can only find out how good it is by asking your son/son's school exactly what test it is.

5. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

The SAT test has changed too since I knew very much about it.  Now it has three parts, not just two.

What is considered to be an average acceptable (SAT) score now?  What would be too low to consider college?

1. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For the current SAT, anything higher than a 1800 is ok, though a 2000+ is much better.

Some schools just ignore the 3rd part and add up the english/math sections to figure out how it'd convert to the old SAT way.

Anyway. For students, small scholarships tend to start at 1000 SAT (eng + math), 1500 full SAT (eng + mat + writing), or 23 ACT.

Bigger scholarships tend to be at 1300 SAT (eng+math), 2000 (eng + math + writing) or 27 ACT.

For exteme scholarships (like full or near full), it'd be around 1400 SAT, 2200 full SAT, or 30 ACT.

You know, give or a take a few deviations. Different schools, different rules, but that's about a good average.

EDIT: And also, what sad??? I scored a  2000 on the new SAT (with a 1325 eng/math conversion to old SAT) as well as a 30 on ACT and I didn't get any free rides!! I only got a half ride. I don't know what schools you applied to but I'm so jealous!!

1. Aficionada profile image93
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you SO much!  This is very helpful.  I think I'll bookmark it, in case I forget some of this.